Wednesday, 14 October 2009

so called 'Rainbow' Carrot cake

My favourite carrot cake recipe comes from Delia Smith and is made with wholemeal flour. But I decided to follow a different recipe for this carrot cake, one that used white flour as I wanted to showcase the colours of my carrots: rainbow, Yellowstone, purple haze carrots and orange ones - all of which are growing on my allotment plot in the carrot box.
On slicing, you could see the orange and just about the Yellowstone, whereas the purple haze carrots had changed colours, not the purple I was expecting, but almost black with some hints of green too. D said I had made 'better carrot cakes' and I knew he was referring to the Delia’s recipe. This one he said was okay, but of course gimmicky with the so called colourful carrots. I like experimenting with both growing vegetables and cooking with them, as well as the indulging in their novelty factor now and again, whether it's their wonderful shapes, sizes or colours: from purple carrots or potatoes to round yellow courgettes - these things do nothing for him, as long as they taste okay, that’s all that matters to him. I am not going to argue with that.
so called 'Rainbow' carrot cake
Makes 1x 9 inch round cake
Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
Lightly grease a 9 inch round cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
125g self-raising flour
125g plain flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
240ml oil, I used vegetable oil
185g soft brown sugar
4 eggs
400g grated carrot (I used a mix of orange, yellow and purple)
60g chopped walnuts
Sift the flours, spices and soda into a large bowl and make a well I the centre. Whisk together the oil, sugar and eggs in a jug until combined. Add this mixture to the well in the flour and gradually sir into the dry ingredients until smooth. Stir in the grated carrot and nuts, mix thoroughly. Spoon the batter into the prepared tin and smooth the surface. Bake for 1½ hours, or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the middle of the cake. Leave in the cake tin to cool for at least 15 minutes before turning out to cool completely. Recipe adapted from the Growers Market by Leanne Kitchen


  1. I did wonder what was in the cake when I saw the dark chunks. I love that you added a little rabbit to your photos :)

  2. This looks so pretty! I love your little rabbit too!

  3. Jacqueline.
    I agree it is a bit dark. I think its the rabbit that makes the picture, rather than the cake.

    Hi Clare,
    Welcome back.
    Yes, the rabbit wins hands down.

  4. Gimmicky or not, Mango, it looks good enough to eat right now! Love the little bunny.

  5. Thank you so much Barbara.
    It was quite a substantial cake.

  6. No, no, no! Tha cake looks great!

  7. I think your carrot cake looks lovely. It is very difficult to find anything but orange carrots here.

  8. Thanks Michele,
    Its difficult to get yellow, purple and white carots here too. I'm lucky as I grown my own, thought not perfectly uniform, they do taste great!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You