Sunday, 11 October 2009

Down on the allotment

After a long lie in, I managed to get out of the cosy warmth of my duvet to put in some labour on the plot. There is quite a bit to do, so no excuses of the rain falling. Actually the weather was kind to us today, other than the blowy wind, it stayed relatively dry.
Before we started to work on the plot beds: D on the potato bed and me on the Legumes bed, we were visited by a Painted Lady butterfly on her way to North Africa (we think), she was magnificent. We both felt blessed to have her on site and even more fortunate to capture on camera.
Some of the Autumn sunflowers are still standing their ground, others have well and truly been bashed by the wind and rain.
These were the two main beds that we put our physical energy into: digging, weeding and raking over. On the left the potato bed, and on the right the legumes bed.
Here is a progress shot of the fenugreek I planted about a fortnight ago. There plot is still productive. Still growing are lettuces, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, broccoli, turnips, raspberries, as well as
Rainbow and Bright Lights Swiss chard doing extremely well.
Canary and ruby chard.
Brussels sprouts getting bigger every time I look at them.
Red Marner cabbage have been a little disappointing, they are the size of an eating apple.
Unfortunately, I can' quite remember what type of cabbage this is. The slugs seem be liking it though.
My musselburgh leeks at slowly fattening.
These are Fuseau Jerusalem artichokes. Look how tall they have become! We did cut them down, and whilst digging the potatoes, D also managed to dig some Jerusalem artichokes, they were not at all nobbly, but smooth.
He also dug up the last of the Desiree potatoes.
and King Edward potatoes. All of which are now stored away in jute bags.
Last month I showed you a picture of these thistle heads in their full glory, now the cardoon flowers are starting to lose their royal colour. The marigolds are still doing very well and so are the nasturtium flowers.
I decided to cut down those sunflowers that had been treated harshly by the weather, saving the sunflower heads of course, to dry for bird food in the near future. The stalks of the sunflowers are quite hard and take a long time to compost down, so we will at some point be having a bonfire on the plot, so we can burn them with some of the weeds.
There is still quite a lot to do on the plot, but for now I think we've had a good day down on the allotment plot.


  1. How awesmne you still have alot of nice veggies to eat and choose from! Wonderful! It must be so super rewarding to enjoy it all.. after that work of creating it! Wonderful! Hmmm..why am I so hungry now after seeing that beautiful swiss chard!? Yum! I love your Butterfly photo..what a magical moment to capture!It makes the day have abit more of sparkle to it..when you catch a stunning moment of nature's beauty like that! Wonderful post!

  2. Everything looks lovely. I cooked artichokes from scratch for the first time last week, and i was quite dissapointed, i think the ones that come in a jar are much much nicer and far less work.
    I love the butterfly photo. and your so lucky to have sunflowers!


  3. I was thinking of digging up some of my fuseau artichokes. Mine have a white mildew on them this year, I think it's because it has been so dry here.

  4. When do you plan to harvest your leeks? its the first time I grow them. They can cope with the cold, right?

  5. Thank you so much for your wonderful comments Kiki.

    It definately is rewarding to enjoy both the colours and the diversity of vegetables growing on the plot.

    Thanks Rose,
    The cardoon artichokes flowerheads growing on my plot are not edible, but ornamental.

    I have never cooked artichokes from scratch, but have had them once fresh and like you I was quite dissapointed. I agree with you, that those that come in a jar are just as nice and far less work.

    The autumn sunflowers finally showed their little heads. I'm so happy.

    I wasn't planning on digging any of my artichokes, but as they were creeping into the potato bed, we got a bucketful. I will post a picture of them later in the week. They do look good, but not much skin on them.

    I am sorry to read that yours had mildew. You are very welcome to come on over and dig up some of mine.

    Hello kontrazt,
    I can actually start pciking some of my leeks now, as they are the right size for baby leeks. But the majority I will leave to over winter as I like them to be a bit more fatter. I think they are okay in the ground up until March. So I will pick some as I need them.

    I actually have another tray of leeks still to go into the ground. I am hoping to plant them this weekend.

  6. isn't autumn fab. the fenugreek looks ace and has grown so fast. I've got some green manure seeds I'll be planting this week.

  7. Hi Nic,
    Autumn is the best season I think.

    Yeah, the fenugreek has grown pretty quick. I am looking forward to making some dishes with it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You