Wednesday, 7 October 2009

Parsley shortcakes

Our vegan nibbles last night were some parsley shortcakes. The texture of these shortcakes was slightly crisp on the outside and soft on the inside, D lived in America for a year and said to me it somewhat reminded him of cornbread.

Obviously as greedy as I am, even I couldn’t finish off all these shortcakes, so we had some left over for the following day. Overnight, the shortcakes had lost the crispness they had when they were freshly baked, so were more spongy like. I still liked them and had them for my lunch with the remainder of the warming black bean soup (recipe below).
Vegan Parsley shortcakes
Makes 6 - 8 large ones or 12 small ones
Ingredients
125g plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
Handful of fresh parsley, minced*
Pinch of salt
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
6 tbsp soya milk
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Line a baking sheet with baking parchment or brush it lightly with olive oil. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, parsley and salt in a bowl. In a separate bowl, mix together with the oil, vinegar and soya milk. Make a well in the middle of the flour, pour in the liquid and quickly combine everything together. Do not over mix. Drop 6 - 8 large spoonfuls or 12 tablespoons of the dough onto the prepared tin, or 8 large ones, spacing them a few inches apart. Flatten them gently with damp fingers and bake for 10 – 12 minutes until golden. Adapted from The New Vegan by Amanda Grant.
Warming Black Bean soup
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 onion, peeled and finely sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
4 tbsp olive oil
¼ - ½ tsp cayenne
225g dried black beans (sometimes I use tinned beans, but in this case I did soaked them overnight and cooked them myself)
1 celery stalk, chopped
2 pints vegetable stock
½ dried thyme leaves
Method
Cook the black beans until soft. Drain and set aside. Cook the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Stir in the cayenne and the celery, add the well-drained beans and thyme, and stir well. Cook for approximately 1 hour. Pour ¾ of the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. Add back to the remaining beans and reheat gently, season if necessary and serve with an extra sprinkling of cayenne (well now you know why it’s called Warming Black bean soup!).

8 comments:

  1. I like the sound of those shortcakes. Something a bit different and something I would never have thought of. The soup sounds yummy too! I am lazy or maybe just not organised enough to soak beans overnight, so it would be the canned variety for me. Although, I did read that they can keep the nutrients better than dried beans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jacqueline,

    I'm a bit lazy too with soaking beans, hence I have a storecupboard full of tins of beans and pulses and tomatoes. So this was unusual of me. I guess i was because I was thinking forward, rather than impromptu cooking. The soup is lovely, very warming on the back of the throat.

    I also read that tinned beans like tinned vegetables maintain their nutrients.

    The shortcakes were a revelation to me. I am looking forward to making some more in the near future. Watch out No Croutons Required!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, and I love the chutney.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the difference of the shortcakes, will be giving this one a go.

    I also don't do soaking overnight, mainly because that is asking for way too much organisational skills but coming from the West Indies where legumes is a big main stay of our diet I would be lost without my pressure cooker. Back home they are used for cooking legumes, meats and even rice dishes.

    There are those I know that fear them and even back home some won't touch them with a barge pole but my mum taught me to respect them not to fear them and thus far the only accidents I have heard concerning them were with people who because of their fear didn't use it properly or when others were careless in opening it because they were rushing or distracted.

    Mangocheeks thanks again for post these lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never had a parsley shortcake, but I have plenty of parsley to give it a try. Black bean soup is one of my favorites, Mango.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Michele.


    Kella,

    I don't have a pressure cooker, just a slow cooker given to me years ago when I got engaged to D. I am not that confident using it, so understand peoples apprehension using such gadgets. I will try to make more of an effort to use it when the cold sets in.

    If you makes these shortcakes, remember that you can vary the herbs in the shortcakes. I hope your kids like them.


    Barbara,
    I hope you like the parsley shortcakes, fresh and a day later. I think they would be a good accompanment to any soup as the flavours are subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another lovely recipe, Mango.
    What brand of soy milk do you use? I've been testing So Good and hate it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Fran,
    I did come by and read about your trials of the So Good Soya milk.

    D takes Alpro soya milk in his tea. I don't like it much, I think its too powdery tasting, but it was okay to cook with.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You