Sunday, 1 November 2009

Golden Autumnal days are gone...

For Sunday brunch I made some waffles using some of my 'golden apple' squash. Sorry no picture of them, they were eaten greedily on this wintery autumnal day before we braved the wind and rain for a quick visit to the allotment plot.

Golden Apple Squash waffles with pecan nuts
Serves 4
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup of squash (or pumpkin) puree
1/2 cup of pecan nuts, chopped
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
In a bowl, mix the wet ingredients together. In another bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and combine well. Add more milk if necessary. Cook according to your waffle maker instructions. Recipes adapted from Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone


  1. What a beautiful photo of squashes!!! That squash waffles sound so good, thank you for the recipe, Mangocheeks!

    p.s. I have Deborah Madisons' books: Vegetarian Suppers and Vegetable Soups. She is amazing, isn't she?

  2. Thank you so much Oraphan. For someone who is not very creative, the arty me comes out now and again.

    I also have DMs Vegetable Soups but not the Vegetarian Suppers (yet), but as a fan I know I will get it at some point. I actually made a soup from it on Sunday, but will post it later in the week.

  3. I do not have a waffle maker but I keep meaning to buy one. Awesome recipe!

  4. Michele,
    I would def. recommend a waffle maker for your kitchen.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You