Saturday, 15 October 2016

Winter Beetroot Potato Horseradish Gratin

This Winter Beetroot Potato Horseradish Gratin is perhaps something best served around Halloween when loud bold colours seem more acceptable on the dinner plate, though I must add orange is the real colour of Halloween, not Gothic blood wine colours.  
This a dish that was made from scratch, from peeling and cooking the beetroot (which were from my own garden plot) to making the sauce, the only shortcut I used was horseradish sauce from a jar.  I have seen fresh horseradish root in the city of Cardiff, but its very expensive and I would only want a tablespoon or two, not the whole root - so its from a jar, no shame in that.  

You could make this grating completely with beetroot, but I thought it might be too overpowering and alternated it with sliced potatoes.  This recipe is vegetarian, but it can easily be made vegan.
I served the Beetroot Potato Horseradish Gratin enjoyed it with Cauldron Lincolnshire sausages which I prefer to the other supermarket brands.  I find the Cauldron ones are a lot more succulent and flavoursome, many others vegan and vegetarian sausages are just shaped like a sausage and taste of nothing. 
The Beetroot Potato Horseradish Gratin was surprisingly quite nice,  I say this as I still consider myself a convert to the beetroot club, I never liked it when I was a child.  The gratin was sweet and earthy, a little punch in the mouth from the horseradish - so make sure its good horseradish and the colour is something you just have to accept and you will, if you like beetroot. 


Okay its been a long long time since I joined in with Food 'N' Flix, so this month I am joining in as our host Kahakai Kitchen has chosen Beetlejuice.  One of my favourite movies.  As a youngster I  loved Lydias character played by the fantastic Winona Ryders and relished in her saying 'because I too am strange and unusual'.  I watch Beetlejuice every year and not necessarily around Halloween.  There is not much in the way of food or even beetroot juice, but I took inspiration from the Beet colour that runs throughout the movie: from the welcoming door of the couples home Adam and Barbara played by Gina Davis and Alec Baldwin.  The barn where the couple crash under, to the designer Ortho outfits, from his ties to his socks even his house gown was Beet coloured.  The beet colour is splashed loud in our face when we are shown  Lydia's wedding dress and even Betlguise (pronounced Beetlejuice) own groom suited outfit is Beet and white, which brings me to my Beetroot Gratin as it perfectly matches with Betleguise outfit!.  By the way  did you know Betleguise is actually a red star, it the ninth brightest star in the night sky and second brightest in the constellation of Orion.   
Thanks to Kahakai Kitchen I am also linking this with #Burtoween for Fandom Foodies which is a nod to Tim Burton movies and I really am a fan, I went a couple of weeks back to see Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children.  The Burtoween event is hosted by Witchy Kitchen. Perfect!
  

Winter Beetroot Horseradish Gratin
Serves 6 as an accompaniment
Ingredients
For the Horseradish Sauce
30g butter or vegan margarine
30g plain flour
300ml milk or non-dairy or plant based milk
2 tablespoons double cream or soy cream
2 tablespoons good creamed horseradish or horseradish powder (mixed into the soya cream)
Salt and pepper to taste
For the Potato and Beetroot
400g beetroot, cooked whole, peeled and sliced
400g parboiled potatoes, peeled and sliced
4 tablespoons stale breadcrumbs or panko breadcrumbs
1 tablespoons cheese, grated
20g butter
Method
To make the sauce, melt the butter in a pan then stir in the flour.  Stir on low heat, then stir in the milk, bring to the boil, stirring all the time to thicken. 
Stir in the double cream and horseradish.
Season to taste.
Set aside

In a 12inch gratin dish, arrange the beetroot first followed the potatoes and continue this until all used up.  Then pour over the sauce.
Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese.
Bake for 30 minutes or until golden
Serve straight away.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6/200oc.
Adapted from The Complete Sophie Grigson Cookbook 
I am also sharing this Beetroot Gratin with Casa Costello for Bake of the Week. Saucy Saturdays, Simple and In Season hosted by  Feeding Boys;  Meat Free Mondays and Slow Cooked Challenge hosted by Farmers Girl and Baking Queen74. 

32 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! It's a perfect seasonal dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I have another beetroot dish to share later in the week, hope you like it too.

      Delete
  2. I love potato gratin with horseradish. Wouldn't have thought of using beetroot in it before. Looks lovely #bakeoftheweek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise, it makes for a nice change as well as visual impact

      Delete
  3. This looks so totally delicious, and I am so loving that colour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a really pretty dish. It would theme well with Christmas colours too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, your right - don't know why I don't equate it so much with Christmas - but your right

      Delete
  5. Lovely entry for Food 'n Flix Shaheen and I love how you took inspiration from the vibrant color and especially the wedding clothes--it fits perfectly. I am a latecomer to liking the taste of beets--just over the past few years but I love the earthiness when combined with the cream and potatoes as it is here. Yum!

    Thanks for joining in this month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb. I am so glad I got to join in, I missed out on the Frida challenge and years back on Like Water for Chocolate and Babettes Feast, hope to participate more in Food n Flix. Like you I came to like beets late, i have been enjoying them a lot more since i started this blog.

      Delete
  6. I love that you used the color repetition in Beetlejuice as inspiration! This sounds delicious, I'm totally digging the beet and potato combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Heather. It was a little hard as not much in the way of food, but I found inspiration as we often do, so pleased I got to join in.

      Delete
  7. Definitely something I could see myself making the vegan version of. I love beetroot, but normally I just roast it or pickle it. It's nice to see something different done with it - great autumn food too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joey, It is very easy to veganize. In fact, I have made another gratin especially for Halloween and it happens to be vegan. I will post the recipe in the next few days.

      Delete
  8. Oh the colours of this are just wonderful. Isn't beetroot incredible? I love how you play it down by saying it was 'surprisingly quite nice!' Big yourself up! Thanks so much for being such a great part of #BakeoftheWeek x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It certainly is Ah - mazing, indeed. Hope to join in again with my Beetroot Love Heart Quiche.

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous colour with the beetroot, this sounds right up my street. Thanks for joining us for the Slow Cooked Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice, hope to join in a bit more with the weather changing and hearty slow cooked meals are dished up for the eating.

      Delete
  10. This looks perfect comfort food as the nights draw in, and what a gorgeous bold colour too! I love food like this... especially served up with our family's favourite veggie sausages! Thanks for hooking up with Simple and in Season :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love beets and this dish sounds delicious. Very creative using the inspiration from the movie. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy. Lovely to make your acquaintance too.

      Delete
  12. This looks absolutely scrumptious! I actually keep a bunch of fresh grated horseradish in my freezer at all times (I'm German, so I need it for horseradish sauce!) and was just thinking I wanted to cook beets soon. This got bookmarked immediately!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Katharina. Oh how lucky for you to have fresh grated horseradish, albeit in the freezer. do hope you enjoy when you make this, do let me know.

      Delete
  13. Quite an elegant dish considering the movie :-) Really great dish with yuor own beets (awesome) and love the horseradish in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Evelyne. I think this is a homely dish, but I am very pleased with elegant :)

      Delete
  14. I love everything about this dish! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this. You really nailed the spirit of the movie. -Kimberly (Coffee and Casseroles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimberly, I am so pleased that so many people like this recipe.

      Delete
  16. This would make a great Thanksgiving side!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Debra, your the second person to say that :)

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You