Monday, 10 October 2016

Plenty of Beetroot and Last of the Courgettes

I started writing this Harvest Monday blog post last week, but I never completed it, so here is it a week later with some old and new harvest.
Last week I cleared the around the plum tree where lots of plums had fallen and rotted, but I loved the colours in this photograph that I really wanted to share it with Harvest Monday, hope you good folks don't mind.
Unwashed dirty Beetroot now all picked from the garden plot.  Once peeled and boiled, I've made a few dishes with the beetroot.
One is this Beetroot and Potato Gratin.
Another this Beetroot, Feta Cheese and Chive Quiche.
Above are courgettes that I picked last weekend.  
These couple of golden courgettes are the last picked yesterday.  I think we may one more harvest of the cherry tomatoes in the greenhouse, then next weekend it will be time for clearing it out for next year.
We spent a few good hours yesterday in the garden, digging the ground and burning the weeds
Other than some raspberries, Swiss chard  and hardy herbs, we don't have much more in the garden plot, so participating in Harvest Monday the next few months may be difficult but I will try, regarless I will still come by and see what is happening in other bloggers garden plots. 
For those of you who remember my harvested nasturtium seed pods, well here are the jars of pickled nasturtium seeds.  Click here for the recipe.  I am sharing this post with  Harvest Monday is hosted by Dave over Our Happy Acres

18 comments:

  1. You have some colorful end of season harvests! And that first photo looks like a painting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave for hosting and for coming by and commenting on my blog post, it is really appreciated. And thank you for approval of the first photo, i do like it.

      Delete
  2. There are more plums in that one photo than I ever got (in total) from my Victoria tree!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, our tree was laden with plums this year - a lot we got to harvest, but when we went away for our very British holiday, we came back to many on the ground - bruised and beginning to rot. I hope next year you have more.

      Delete
  3. I love how your shoes coordinate with the plums.. fabulous photo! I'm intrigued by the pickled nasturtium seeds. What do you use them for? All your beet dishes look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julie. So pleased you like it as much as I did, you can see why I wanted to share it.
      I will use the pickled nasturtium seed pods in salads or use them as a replacement to capers, but it will all be new to me too.

      Delete
  4. That first photo is pure art, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Agnieszka.
      So pleased you like it too.

      Delete
  5. I love that top photo :-)

    I have just brought in the last of the tomatoes, so soon the pan will be bubbling away with some Green Tomato Chutney, and the lovely red ones will be turned into roasted tomato soup, my absolute favourite at the moment.

    Beetroots tomorrow!

    Happy Harvesting :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue, I am so pleased I shared it now as so many good comments - i do like it very much.
      We only have cherry tomatoes, so no big plans for them like yours, hopefully next year I will get back into growing proper, haven't seemed to have fallen into it the way I was into it big time when I lived in Scotland.

      Hope you have good beets!

      Delete
  6. Your beetroot and chive quiche is so pretty and appetizing. It must have been very interesting when cut into. And I love the plum photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle,. unfortunately I did not get a photograph of the quiche sliced, but yes it was very interesting and tasted very good too. I hope to share the recipe in the next week.

      Delete
  7. I love the top photo as well as the shot of your perfect looking tomatoes. You've had a great yield of summer produce!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kari, Yes better than last year , but it could be better - lets hope so for next year.

      Delete
  8. Some lovely harvests - oh, those courgette look scrumptious! I've still not found the best way to grow them in my garden...but this year was bit better then last, so I'll not give up!

    And the plum photo...just gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Margaret. I've done well growing courgettes in the ground and in pots, its just depends what works for you. So pleased you like the plum photo too. I feel happier sharing it now.

      Delete
  9. I guess you can definitely say your clogs are plum colored. Nice haul of beetroot. I have a few left in the fridge and you gave me some interesting ideas on how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David. I do like my clogs, but not as much as I like my wellies. I am curious now, what you making with your beets?

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You