Tuesday, 4 October 2016

Pickled Nasturtium Seed Pods

The nasturtium blossom flowers are still blooming in my garden plot. I watch with delight when I find a bumbling bee snuggled up in there, but the flowers they will not last with the weather turning autumnal and the flowers turning to seed pods.   
A few week back I harvested some fresh green nasturtium seeds for pickling.  I promised some of you that i would share the  jars, here they are - the nasturtium seeds are not quite packed in the jar and bobbing around, but I am not overly fussed as this was something I have been wanting to try out for a long while.  If they are any good, next time I will pack the jars to the brim.
Now I have to wait.  I am looking forward to see how they compare the pickled capers we find here in jars.   

Pickled Nasturtium Seed Pods
Makes 2 x 190ml jars
Ingredients
160g nasturtium pods, washed well and drained
50g salt
1 pint water
Method
Soak the nasturtium pods for two days in the salted water.
Drain and rinse well.
Evenly distribute between two jars.

In a pan, heat 160ml pickling vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes (and optional 1/2 teaspoon juniper seeds) dissolve.
Then carefully pour over  the nasturtium seeds along with the spices and seal. 
Adapted from this recipe

10 comments:

  1. I love it; I am only just starting my very first garden and planning to plant nasturtiums as companions to a few other plans, but never thought about actually using their pods for anything! This is an awesome idea, I really like capers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Agnieszka.
      That is how I started with them as companion plant, but also for the edible flowers that look pretty in salads.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE Nasturtiums, Shaheen! I'm so excited for you and your Pickled Nasturtium Seeds! I've always wanted to pickle them myself; just like capers, except I just can't bring myself to pickle them because I always want to save the seeds for the following year, lol...Good for you for finally doing it. I can't wait to hear how you like them:)

    Thank you so much for sharing, Shaheen...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Louise.
      I have so many seeds that they sow themselves and i have plenty to pick. I like them, but i don't want them spreading throughout the garden, so its controlled - the bees love them too.

      Hope your well.

      Delete
  3. What a creative idea - I've not seen or thought of anything like this before!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, so pleased you like this, i have a few more recipes but may not get round to making them this year as the flowers are beginning to wilt now with the cold...

      Delete
  4. I didn't even know you could do that with nasturtium seeds - I'm intrigued to know how they taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know Joey.
      I learned this when I started growing them many years ago, but never got round to trying. I am imagining that they will taste a bit like capers, but with more rocket fuel!

      Delete
  5. You can pickle and eat nasturtium seeds? Wow! I had no idea......
    It's one of the reasons I love reading your blog Shaheen..... you use such amazing and unusual ingredients! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Kate and THANK YOU so much Kate, you have made me smile, thank you - I really appreciate your comment and you coming by and reading. I do love comments and its nice to know people continue to read and support my humble bog.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You