Saturday, 1 October 2016

Tamarind Edamame, Soy and Green Beans

Eat Your Greens on World Vegetarian Day.

Although a little spicy, this plate of food made for an interesting eat.  This Tamarind Edamame, soy and Green Beans dish is more of a stir fry than a curry. 
There is crunch from the green beans also known as pole beans, and different flavours of green  from the garden peas, edamame and soy beans.
I know stuffed I like tamarind a lot.  Its one of those ingredients that I reach for when I have a sore throat - its not like honey, but more marmite, but the flavour of tamarind are more sweet and sour, than yeasty.

D is not that keen on it, but will accept it as long as it does not dominate the whole meal, and this certainly does not.  Its subtle.  The tamarind lends a mild citrus twang with a hint of sweetness.  I think this dish was suitably moist as its not overly saucy, but if you want more sauce, then please feel free to stir in some coconut milk - how much is up to you.
Other Tamarind Recipes on my blog
Hot and Sour Broad Beans
Carrot and Tamarind Soup
Carrot Ketchup
Quinoa Meatballs in Tamarind Sauce
Gol Guppay
Sarah Beatties Tamarind Parsnip Curry
Slow Cooked Vegetable Tamarind Stew
Sweetcorn and Tamarind Soup
Tamarind Tofu 'Fish'
I am sharing this with Eat Your Greens hosted by my co-host The Veg Hog;   Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition;  My Legume Love Affair which celebrates its 100th edition, I am so glad it continues as it is one food blog event that i have continues to participate in over the years.  It is hosted by  Cooking with Siri and  Lisa's Kitchen and finally  Meat Free Mondays.  

Tamarind Edamame, Soy and Green Beans
Serves 2 generously 
2 tablespoon oil
1 onion, finely sliced
1 tablespoon ginger paste
2 garlic, cloves, crushed
500g green beans, topped and tailed 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon tamarind concentrate
250g garden peas, edamame and soy beans, fresh or frozen, defrosted
200ml water or stock
Optional: Coconut milk
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then add the onion and saute until tender, stir in the garlic and ginger and cook for a few minutes until tender.  
Then stir in the chilli flakes, tomato paste and tamarind concentrate, saute for a few minutes before stirring in the green beans.  
Stir cook on medium heat for  8 minutes of until the green beans begin to go limp, then stir in the rest of the ingredients: soy, edamame and garden peas and water or stock (or coconut milk if using).  
Cook for a couple of minutes to heat through.
Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve immediately.


  1. Such a lovely green dish, just perfect for the World Vegetarian Day. Thank you for sharing with Eat Your Greens! :)

    1. Thank you VegHog, it made for a light change from heavy meals

  2. Tamarind is one of those flavours that I really love but I don't really use in a whole lot of recipes (clearly a shame!) Apart from the odd coconutty curry, I don't really include it in a lot - thanks for giving me some another idea as to how I can use it more often!

    1. Oh i am so pleased you are a fan of tamarind too. I've just linked up some other tamarind recipes on my blog, if you want to check some of them out for inspiration, but it also good as a hot drink.

  3. I bought a tub of tamarind concentrate a few months ago and used a little bit for a recipe. I've been wondering what else to use it in - this recipe looks yummy and simple so I'll definitely be trying it out!

    1. Thank you Agnieszka. I hope you enjoy. Did you see the other recipes at the bottom of the blog post, may inspire you furhter

  4. This sounds good! I'm starting to see more recipes using tamarind - I don't have any, I should track some down. And ginger paste - would minced ginger work ok?

    1. Thank you Kimmy,
      I normally use fresh ginger, but i picked up some paste to compare - so yes minced ginger would def. work. Be gentle with the tamarind on first OR TO TASTE - there are many versions concentrated and watered down ones. Hope you enjoy

  5. This dish looks really tasty and easy to make! Yum!

    I love tamarind too! I started using it when I wanted to make my own pad Thai and now use it as a sweetener sometimes.

    1. Thank you Mary Ellen. Glad to learn your a fan too

  6. I love tamarind. I haven't cooked with it nearly enough recently but we should remedy it by making this. Thanks for sharing!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You