Sunday, 9 October 2016

October In My Kitchen

When we were on holiday in Brighton we picked up these Fruit and Vegetable posters for our home.  
There is sadly no room on the walls in the kitchen, so these framed Fruits and Vegetable posters are in our hallway and they look wonderful.  I am very pleased with them. 
October means Halloween and I won't be carving any pumpkins any time soon, but I picked up these adorable Munchkin pumpkins from the supermarket, I know exactly what I will be making with them. 
My mother in law gave me a jar of Vegemite when we visited her briefly in September.  I can't remember how or why she acquired it, but I do know I was the beneficiary of this yellow jar all the way from Australia, albeit via the supermarkets in the UK.  My long time blogger friend Johanna from Green Gourmet Giraffe will be pleased!
I picked this Chickpea spread, fresh yeast and a sort of mixed spice for cookies and cakes from a local Polish shop.  
Even though this Loving Earth Salted Chocolate is out of the packet, I have not yet tried it. Please don't ask me how I resist?! UPDATE I ripped open the packet on Tuesday evening.  I may have misled some of you, its not really chocoalte.  Its descirbed on the packaging as Caramel Wholefood Chocolate made from cashews, coconut and cacao. It smells like cocoa butter.  Its not as salty as I expected which disappointed a little, but it made for an interesting change from dark chocolate.  Do try it and make up your own mind.
Some vegan cream for cakes and something rather interesting, a tin of Suma Baked Beans with mini Lincolnshire sausages.
Vegan Italian Gourmet Sausage - I am looking forward to trying this as I have never had anything like it before.
Vegan Spelt Croissant and Soja Steaks that purchased from Bristol VX last month.
I made this Beetroot Chutney with some beetroot that was given to me by a work colleague. 
I picked some nasturtium seeds from the garden and made a couple of jars of Pickled Nasturtium Pods.  I am looking forward to see how they compare the pickled capers we find here in jars.   
I've been drinking lots of herbal teas recently because my throat has been quite sore (by the way I have finally made an appointment to get my nagging cough of almost 2 months seen by the doctors tomorrow).  My friend Leah who lives in America sent me some popcorn tea a long while back, I saw this at a local supermarket and picked myself and my nephew some. 
I haven't had cheese for a while, so yesterday when I was in Cardiff I picked up a sourdough bread from a Portuguese bakery and some posh soft stinky cheese from M&S.  Yesterday evening, we plonked ourselves in front of the TV to watch the series The Walking Dead on DVD.

If you interested you may want to take a peek at September In My Kitchen, but this month and I have just made it in time before the deadline, I am sharing this In my Kitchen with our new host Bizzy Lizzy's Good Things who is taking over from The Orgasmic Chef.  In My Kitchen is a super event for loggers to share what in their kitchen from all around the world, it was started by Celia who blogs over at Fig Jam and Lime Cordial .  

24 comments:

  1. I absolutely love those posters!! I've been looking for something similar for my dining room, but no luck so far..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Agnieszka - they were not that expensive either, perhaps you could order them online.

      Delete
  2. All interesting stuff, especially the popcorn tea. I've heard Vegemite is an acquired taste...Best of luck with the doc tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. I've not hard Vegemite or if i have, i can't remember - so am looking forward to trying it. Thanks, i don't do medicine, but this i have been told by my husband that i must go as its been on going for a long while and even my work colleagues have noticed. I've been given a course of antibiotics, so lets hope that helps.

      Delete
  3. Hi Shaheen, thank you for that very kind shout out! Lovely to have a peek at all those goodies in your kitchen. That sausage sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lizzy. Thank you for taking over IMK and hosting,

      Delete
  4. Ooooh that bread and cheese looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice posters!
    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. But of course I am delighted to see some vegemite in your kitchen - are you eating some of it on toast - I hope I don't horrify you if I suggest some vegemite on toast with a spread of dal on top - it is great comfort food! (or mashed potato instead of the dal). Have you tasted it before?

    I love your fruit and veg posters - was thinking how lovely they would be in the kitchen and hoping you had more wall space than in ours!

    Those pumpkins are cute, the tea looks interesting (does it taste like popcorn?), the beetroot chutney is a glorious colour, love the vegan products (am a little jealous esp of the beans with sausages and the vegan salami). Hope your throat gets better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, :D
      No you have not horrified me with your suggestions, and will try the dal on toast and vegemite for sure.
      I don't recall having Vegemite, but I am not certain as I may have tried it whilst at Uni, but I don't have recollection so maybe not.

      Nah sadly my kitchen is not as big as i'd like and most of the walls are with fitted kitchen cupboards.

      The popcorn tea does have a popcorn-ness flavour too it, but its not as good as the one my friend sent to me. Thanks re the throat, got some antibiotics from the doctor so hopefully the meds will remedy the problem...

      Delete
  7. So much going on in your kitchen, incredible! I absolutely adore the vegetable posters, as I am a sucker for vegetable prints of all kind. I'm sure they look nice on the walls. I'll also have to buy munchkin pumpkins soon, and all the rest of your foodie stuff is also very interesting, popcorn tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, I didn't think so at first but then when I started writing the post, i though oh yeah!
      We got the posters from Brighton not that expensive either, they look very impressive in the frames. You could order then online I am sure of it.

      Delete
  8. Those posters were a swell find!! How charming and bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, we were both pretty pleased with them and they look good framed up

      Delete
  9. How did you like the Vegemite? And I was interested to read your reply to Johanna regarding the popcorn tea, as I was going to ask about it too. Curious! I hope the antibiotics help with your throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kari, I haven't tried it yet - but will do so in not too long. Yes, I am on 'meds' as they say in the US - antibiotics, so hopefully this lingering problem with my throat will remedy. Thank you

      Delete
  10. Those posters are so cute!
    That loving earth bar looks so good - you have a lot of self control to not have eaten yet ;p
    And vegan whipped cream!!!
    Let us know how the fancy vegan sausage is.
    The popcorn tea sounds intriguing. I'm not a big tea drinker, but I love popcorn.
    Your kitchen is very fun this month (as always) =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kimmy, I am so pleased you like them too.
      The loving earth bar was ripped open this evening, Its very different, not dark at all - its made from cashews coconut and cacao. I need to up-date my post as I think I may have misled people about it. I can't really taste the salted aspect of it which is disappointing, but it makes a change.
      I'm hoping to slice into the vegan salami this w/e, so will give you a nudge when I blog about it further.
      Thank you as always for coming by and reading my blog, it truly is appreciated and your comments are always very warm

      Delete
  11. Shaheen, I hope you find out what's up with your cough and sore throat asap. Tis the season 'n' all, but 2 months' worth is worrying! Take good care of yourself, xo. I've never tried popcorn tea, but love Twining's brand. Your fruit & veggie framed posters are darling. Loved your beetroot chutney and "capers", too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Kimx the GP has given me some antibiotics, but said to come back when finished and if no difference then will look into it further, a little worrying - but not much I can do except wait. I haven't tried the capers and beet chutney yet , hope to soon and will share verdict

      Delete
  12. wow shaheen so many fabulous things in your kitchen. I love seeing the vegemite there. have you tried it before? it is quite salty and strong if you aren't brought up with it like us Aussies:) Love your posters! the nasturtium pods sound really interesting too. i wonder - are they like capers? Love the name of Schlagcreme. I hope they were tasty. isn't beetroot great in chutneys etc? looks pretty too. Hope your cold is better soon. cheers Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sherry. I may have had it when I was at Uni, but can't remember for sure - so am looking for it - I know its not the same as Marmite, but the closest comparison people have made, so am looking forward to trying it. The nasturtium pods will be like capers. I am on antibiotics, so hopefully that will resolve the problem I have. Thank you Sherry.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You