Wednesday, 26 October 2016

vegan Halloween Creepy Black Olive Spider Potato Gratin

We don't do Halloween in our home, but with the weather turning all miserable and cold in the last week, I have been making hearty dishes like potato gratin.  Potato gratin has been on the menu a few times and this time I just could not resist adorning this vegan Potato Gratin with some creepy black olive spiders

I know I am childish, but there is a kid in all of us - right?! 
I was actually inspired to top the gratin with the spiders from a recipe I had seen last year  (see here) where bread is topped with flavoured cream cheese and topped of with black olive spiders, it had obviously impressed me as I had it lodged in the back of my head to try.
I am sharing this recipe with Healthy Vegan Fridays hosted by Rock My Vegan Socks and V Nutrition.

Other Halloween Recipes to inspire you. Those that are vegan are marked with a v, otherwise everything is suitable for vegetarians.  

Bloody Massacred Beetroot Men Pies  v
Black Sesame Seed Butter v
Pumpkins are not Just for Halloween Chilli v
Beetroot Gratin
Beetroot Cauliflower 'Brain' Salad with Feta Cheese
Halloween Inspiration
Red GHOULash v
Blood Beetroot and Raspberry Jelly
Vampire Beetroot Scotch Eggs 
Zombie Pies v


Halloween Creepy Black Olive Spider Potato Gratin
Serves 6
Ingredients
800g potatoes, peeled and sliced with a mandolin. Partly cooked.  Lay the cooked sliced potato pieces in a wide gratin dish. 
For the 'Creamy Saue'
1 tablespoon vegan margarine
2 tablespoons plain flour
1/2 litre of unflavoured soy milk
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: Black olives
Method
In a saucepan, melt the margarine gently, then stir in the flour and a tablespoon of the soy milk to make a roux.  Then carefully pour int he remaining milk and stir as you pour.  The sauce will magically thicken to a creamy gold lushness. turn off and remove from the heat.
Gently pour the creamy sauce into the cooked potatoes. 
Decorate with sliced olives to make spiders if you wishTransfer to a large ovenproof casserole dish and bake for 45 minutes gas mark 5/200oc or until the top is golden.. 

16 comments:

  1. ...that looks so fun...and creepy...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa, if you like this, then you have to check out my blog post for Friday too !

      Delete
  2. Oh! Those olive spiders are great! I'm doing some sort of beet, parsnip, potato gratin-thing for halloween - may well need to add some of those spiders to the top too! Thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and Your so welcome Belinda, Your gratin sounds good to, like the mix of root veg - do add the spiders for def. it is Halloween after all!

      Delete
  3. Brilliant shaheen - I am wary of lots of halloween traditions but I love playing with my food so I can't resist a little fun either - this gratin does look a bit creepy with all the spiders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Me too, but since starting the blog I do play with my food a bit more than my parents would appreciate, but I don't it that often.

      Delete
  4. Haha this looks so cute and creepy. I'm sure it was tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Yes it was enjoyed eating those spider too - the piquancy made a nice change

      Delete
  5. Love this idea Shaheen! I'll have to surprise my little one with it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome Amy. I was inspired by someone else, so its nice to share hope you little one likes and eats those little olive spiders, not many kids like olives - so I'd like to know what your little one thinks

      Delete
  6. Oh how cute! I love this idea =) The weather is getting a little cooler here too, I've been trying to make more potato dishes to stave off the potato chip cravings ;)
    I like your creamy sauce too - I usually find creamy sauce time consuming - this one sounds easier & quicker, which would be nice for a mid-week meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy. This sauce is pretty quick and delicious too, esp. with comforting potatoes

      Delete
  7. Such a great idea for potatoes and having the spiders on top! Spooky yet tasty - perfect for Halloween!

    Thanks so much for linking up with us for Healthy Vegan Fridays! I’m Pinning and sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Ellen. I did like the spiders.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You