Sunday, 9 October 2016

Brighton's Royal Pavilion

Yesterday I shared photographs mostly around Brighton Pier.
Today it is the grand and iconic Brighton Royal Pavilion.  
In my youth I became an accidental student of hidden black and visible minority histories and was fascinated by images of this 'exotic' building in the centre of Brighton and its outward Islamic Moorish visual style of minarets and domes.  Its was the most mosque like building I had seen in the UK and I wanted to see it in person and know more about it. 
So that was another reason for our cultural break in Brighton. The inside is very different from the outside which is more 'Indian' in style, whereas the inside is more Oriental in style. We didn't get to enjoy the inside at a pleasurable pace as we got stuck behind a very large group of overseas students, so it felt like we were forced to be on a treadmill. 
I would like to go back to Brighton for many reasons, but I would also like to see the Royal Pavilion at Night.
Here is a link if you wish to learn more about Brighton's Royal Pavilion; and those of you interested in Hidden Black History, when the Pavilion was used as a WW1 military hospital for Indian soldiers (1914 -1916) see here Chattri Memorial Group.   
We also went into Brighton's Museum & Art Gallery.  I am sharing these photographs with  Happy Days.

12 comments:

  1. Too bad you didn't include any interior photos! Very intriguing post.

    best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mae,
      Thanks
      We were not permitted to take photographs inside, they are pretty precious about that, but you can check out the link as they do have interior pictures on their official website.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing place - I had a look at the history and was surprised that it was seen as quite small for a couple - I am sure my small family would fit in it just fine and probably have room for all my siblings and their families! It is great when you can feed a passion in your holidays - find it quite interesting to hear a bit about hidden black history!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, My family too and I mean the whole lot of them too.

      Delete
  3. I'm also always intrigued about the Pavilion in contrast to the other buildings in Brighton. It's a very interesting place to take a stroll, I've never been inside though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit, the inside did not float my boat, but I know other people who raved about it. We got lucky as we went early in the morning to have a stroll outside, but the day we arrived originally it was packed and your lucky if you get a photograph without a person in it as loads of selfies and selfie sticks!

      Delete
  4. I grew up not far from Brighton. Always loved walking past the pavilion, so beautiful. Thank you for joining in #HappyDaysLinky xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy, your so lucky. hope to join in again.

      Delete
  5. I didn't have time to visit the pavilion when we were there and now I regret that! Definitely a trip for next time. Thanks for linking up to #HappyDaysLinky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sian, def worth a trip again. I hope to join in again. Thanks

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You