Friday, 21 October 2016

Five New Places I Visited This Year in England

It's Friday and I am joining in with Five On Friday hosted by Love Made My Ho.

I am sharing five places I visited in September for my very British holiday.
Its not surprising that I thoroughly enjoyed my time in Brighton ans look forward to going there again. 
Please see here if you want to read more about my Brighton adventures.



Dungeness is on the south coast of Kent, England.  It is well known for have a large shingle beach and is apparently wrongly reported to be 'Britain's only desert'.  

I really really liked Dungeness and would like to visit it again perhaps in the spring when the colours are different and the big wide skies clearer. 
We also saw Derek Jarmans Garden
Whilst on route, we decided to stop at Rye East Sussex.  We arrived in Rye around 8.00am and most places were still closed, so breakfast had to wait, but it did give us the opportunity to wander the town without bumping into many other tourists at this time and take some photographs - see here.
Then it was onwards to Eastbourne, a seaside resort.  
 Eastbourne Bandstand - The Busiest Bandstand in the UK
Eastbourne Pier and Beach
And finally, Hastings Old Town.  a town steeped in so much history. 
We walked around The Stade (landing place), home to the largest beach launched fishing fleet in Europe.  These are fishing nets huts. 

D really wanted to go on the East Hill West Hill lift - see picture above and why not?! It is of national importance and a source of local pride.  Its the United Kingdoms steepest funicular railway.a lift that goes up this steep mountain.  
The  East Hill Lift provides access to Hastings Country Park which overlooks the Rock a Nore and the Old Town.  It also provides spectacular views of the Stade (shown earlier).
I am going to throw one more in for luck, the two pictures below are of Winchester where were stopped for a light snack whilst travelling back home to Wales.  
Dramatic skies, I think we got very lucky with the weather on our very British holiday.
Even though the lovely Amy is going through a difficult time at the moment, she she loyally continues to post  Five on Friday for bloggers all over the world to join in.  Please do go by her blog Love Made My Home to see what other blogger have shared.

19 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your five places in England. I've only been to one of them - Winchester. It was a lovely place to visit even if it was just for a stopover on our way back from the Isle of Wight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had an exciting trip! Wow, you have shown us such thrilling photos. It is first time to hear there is a desert in England! I especially like the twelfth one! Have a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was certainly an impressive tour and some amazing sights. The funicular railway was stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are all places I loved when I visited. I specially liked Hastings with the tall black net huts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you enjoyed your time in my home county, we have some lovely seaside resorts. I visited Hastings last year and rode up the cliff on the West Hill...your pictures are much better than mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely sights for you to take in! And lovely photos, too! I took a very steep train like that once in Switzerland--it was quite a unique experience! Dungeness looks like quite a place! Not what I think of when I make my metal picture of England. What a varied, wonderful world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes - the UK is very different in parts - I guess people either think of castles or the beaches, I truly loved Dungeness and would love to go again for sure. Your steep train trip intrigues me, there are not many places like Hastings steep ride in the UK, so its quite unusual.

      Delete
  7. I was in Eastbiurnebin Friday and sailed passed Dungebess on Saturday. I've inlt been past it by sea now looking at your pictures I really should go shore side too

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! The site is awesome, but I think I am not brave enough to ride up and down such a steep slope! Thanks for sharing your interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A part of England I don't know well, have been to Hastings and that's about it. Enjoyed your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You visited interesting places! The scenery & buildings in Hastings Old Town are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've really enjoyed your recent UK posts and this round up is a nice summary. With my grandparents in Rye I have visited all of these places but there are so many UK spots I am yet to see. British holidays are great :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed seeing the five places you visited in September. Too many things to see and do in one lifetime! Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved joining you on your "very British holiday". Thanks for taking us along.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you to EVERYONE who has commented above and come by Five ON Friday, I have appreciated your comments and will come by and visit each and everyone of you to repay the compliments, THANK YOU AMY for hosting Five on Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have been to some of my favourite places! We are so lucky to have all these lovely places and that they aren't too far apart. Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for sharing your very British holiday with us! I've been to none of those places, but am intrigued by Hastings (because of Foyle's War, AND the battle fought there in 1066). I have been to Wales!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You got to see some great places! I enjoy seeing where you travel and what you see as I'm not sure if I'll ever get out there myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimmy, I feel like that about places that are overseas and involve flying, as places I may not get to visit myself - but you just never know - never say never...

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You