Sunday, 30 October 2016

Autumn Beetroot Barley Goats Cheese Salad

This Beetroot Barley Goats Cheese Salad is an autumnal salad because of the hearty barley and the colours that remind me of the drying leaves on the trees.   Its perfect for taking into lunch as it won't leak liked those tossed in heavy salad dressing
The goats cheese is optional, but I think it works as it makes a nice contrast to the earthy beetroot.  Of course you could use a dairy free alternative like Gary which is actually made from coconuts and is very popular in the UK right now.  I have to admit I have not tried Gary yet as every time I go to seek it out it is sold out. 
This Beetroot Barley Goats Cheese Salad is not much of a recipe as I eye-balled most of the ingredients: cooked barley, cooked beetroot including its juices, a little balsamic vinegar an extra virgin oil for dressing, salt and pepper and then topped with rocket and goats cheese.  Quite simple really.


I am sharing the Autumn Leaves photograph with Sunday Snap hosted by JibberJabber UK and the Winter Beetroot Barley Goats Cheese Salad with Soups, Salads and Sammies hosted by Kahakai Kitchen.  
If Food 'N' Flix accept this second entry (see the first here), then I have another recipe for our host Kahakai Kitchen who has chosen Beetlejuice. One of my favourite movies but it comes second to Edward Scissorhands.  I took inspiration from the Beet colour that runs throughout the movie. 
Thanks to Kahakai Kitchen I am also linking this Beetroot Barley Goats Cheese Salad with #Burtoween for Fandom Foodies which is a nod to Tim Burton movies and I really am a fan, I went a couple of weeks back to see Miss Peregrines Home For Peculiar Children and that is saying something as I haven't been to the cinema since 3D Avatar in Glasgow.  The Burtoween event is hosted by Witchy Kitchen. Perfect! And finally, Marathons &Motivation and Ilka's Blog 

14 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! I love anything with beets in it :-) Can't wait to try it, thanks for sharing at Sunday Fitness & Food!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Angela. Its a really simple recipe

      Delete
  2. I never think to add goat cheese. Will have to do that. #SundayFitness&Food

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it does make for an interesting contrast

      Delete
  3. Another great vibrantly-colored entry for Beetlejuice and Food 'n Flix! Thank you for joining in twice this month. ;-)

    Your salad looks delicious. I love the chewiness that barley adds to a salad and the tangy goat cheese is perfect with the beets. Thank you for sharing it with my Souper Sundays event at Kahakai Kitchen too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Deb. Your blog has got me reading more fiction books too recently with me joining in Beth Reads and I love it, it makes a nice change from blogging - just wish I'd do it more. I have still to seek out There Will Be Apricots - otherwise I am afraid I won't be able to join in,

      Delete
  4. I love the addition of barley to this salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy. I actually have barley for lunch again today this time with rainbow carrots and lentils

      Delete
  5. I love seeing a healthy Halloween-y recipe! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the autumnal colors about at the moment. Your choice of leaves really goes through all the shades of autumn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of beets and goat cheese in salads. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You