Saturday, 12 September 2009

Mulled and Spiced Plums

Well this is what I did yesterday evening with all those plums that Fitzy generously permitted me to pick from his plot.
Four jars of mulled wine plum jam and two jars of spiced plum chutney. Something to look forward in the winter.
I know most chutneys are traditionally served with meat or fish dishes, but I am going to serve these along my vegetable pies or as an accompaniment to cheese. Please do come back in a months time and I will tell you how they taste, right now I cannot vouch for them.

Plum and Mulled Wine Jam
1.8 kg plums, halved and stoned
2 glasses of red wine
Mulled wine spices eg cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
Zest of one orange
1.8kg sugar
Place the plums and wine into a wide pan. Place the spices and zest in a muslin bag and add to the pan. Cook gently for 15 -20 minutes or until the skins are soft. Remove the muslin and add the sugar; stirring until dissolved. Bring to the boil and boil rapidly for about 20 minutes or until setting point is reached. Remove any scum. Pot into cooled, sterilized jars and seal.

Spiced Plum Chutney
675g plums, stoned and quartered
450g onions, sliced
225g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
300ml pickling malt vinegar
115g sultanas
175g soft brown sugar
1 cinnamon stick
1 large red chilli, sliced
Place all the ingredients in a large pan. Bring to the boil and simmer, uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the chutney is thick and pulpy.Spoon into cooled, sterilized jars and seal. Store for at least 4 – 6 weeks before use. Adapted from Best Kept Secrets of the Women’s Institute Jams, Pickles and Chutneys


  1. These sound very tasty and I will try them with some damsons and late cherry plums I hope to forage today.

  2. Did you get some more damson and cherry plums. I think I said before, I have never had damsons, how do they taste?

  3. Literally just got back and yes got myself another 2lbs of damsons and a half carrier bag full of hawthorn berries, didn't pass where the cherry plums were as it was getting late. Will be making more preserves tomorrow :) and look forward to trying one or both of your recipes.

    The damsons this year are so very sweet right of the trees, barely if any sourness/ acidity to taste. I have never experienced sweet damsons, they taste as good as plums they are so sweet.

  4. Oh Kella,
    I am envious, but then I am also realistic, if I had all them, I don't think I would have time to preserve them, and they would just go to rot. But you know once you have them, you will make the most of them, rather thna let them go to waste. So I do hope you 'jamming sessions' went well. I look forward to reading about it on your blog later in the week.

    Sweet damsons, I wish I could try one.

  5. I hope so Michele,
    I will be popping open a jar in a month or so, so will give you my verdict then. But whilst I was making it, the flat was filled with lovely sweet smells.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You