Friday, 4 September 2009

Anglo-Indian spiced vegetable pastries

These delicate and flavourful pastries are a cross between a vegetable pasty and a mild root vegetable samosa.
In the past I have made these in a large baking tin and cut up into 6 generous slices, this time I decided to make it in small round cake tins measuring 4 inch which made 6 individual portions.
So it is up to you really how you want to present them. I made this dish as a way of using up some of my vegetables, namely the green bean, which I will have more of this time tomorrow no doubt.

I served these with a fennel salsa, but as the fennel salsa had been sitting in the fridge for a couple of days, the balsamic vinegar had seeped into the vegetable, D said it didn't look very photogenic, which persuaded me not to take a picture of it, but now I regret it. Real food isn’t always photogenic. It was really quite flavourful, so I will be repeating the fennel salsa as an accompaniment in the future, so do come back and check it out sometime, when I will showcase it and give you the recipe.
Anglo-Indian spiced vegetable pastries
Serves 6
Ingredients
400g carrots or sweet potatoes, peeled
200g green beans, topped and tailed
2 onions, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
2 teaspoons whole black mustard seeds
2 red chillies, sliced
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 teaspoons of ground coriander
½ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
100ml single cream (optional)
Packet of filo pastry
80g melted butter
A small handful of flaked almonds
Method
Chop the root vegetable into small even size dices and bake them in the oven with a little olive oil until just tender. Chop the green beans and boil them until cooked through. Drain. Add the root vegetable to the green beans. Fry the onion and garlic in a little oil with the mustard seeds and the chilli. Add the other spices and salt when the onion is cooked, and fry for a couple of minutes. If using, pour in the cream, bring it to the boil and simmer for a minute to thicken the cream. Stir the spiced mixture into the vegetables and leave it to cool before adding the almonds.
Preheat oven to gas mark 4. Lay three sheets of filo pastry pasting with each with melted butter, then generously fill with spice mixture, then fold over each filo pastry sheet, pasting again with melted butter including the top. Bake in oven for 20 – 26 minutes until lightly golden Idea inspired by recipes from Denis Cotters The CafĂ© Paradiso Cookbook and Bill Sewells Food from the Place Below

6 comments:

  1. Long time no see - our laptop broke, so I couldn't look at any blogs : O

    Looking forward to catching up on your recipes that have been posted while I've been away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello RWYG,
    Sorry to read that your laptop broke, but glad that you are now back. Can't wait to catch up with the goings on in RWYG world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks lovely! I very much like indian food :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I really love just about anything with sweet potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Michele and Welcome Back!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You