Monday, 7 September 2009

Spicy green bean, potato and carrot tortilla

I made the spicy filling for these tortilla wraps yesterday, so when I came in from work, all I had to do was fill them, roll them and bake in the oven. It was another way to use up some of those green beans, plus the carrots I picked yesterday from the carrot box at the allotment.
As you can see these spicy tortillas are a bit of a mish mash of ethnic cuisines, it has South Asian spices, but is rolled in a Mexican tortilla. Well if the fast food chains can get away with it, then why can't I?! This is also my contribution to this months Grow your own (GYO) which was started by Andrea's Recipes. I am becoming quite a regular contributor to this, primarily because it supports the principle behind my blog that celebrates the foods we grow or raise ourselves, and the dishes we make using our homegrown products. This month GYO# 35 is being hosted by Praveen of Masala Heaven.
Spicy green bean, potato and carrot tortilla
Ingredients
225g French beans
1 large potato
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 small onion, minced
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon turmeric
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 green chilli, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large carrot, grated
2 tomatoes, peeled
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves
Method
Top and tail the French beans and cut into ¼ inch.Heat the oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the cumin seeds and cook until they begin to pop. Lower the heat, add onion and fry until soft. Stir in paprika, turmeric, garlic and chilli and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn the potatoes in the spicy mixture and season with salt and pepper. Add the beans, cover and simmer over a low heat for 15 – 20 minutes, tossing from time to time until almost tender. Add the carrot and cook for a few minutes more.
Half and deseed the tomatoes and chop the flesh. Add to the vegetable mixture with the coriander leaves. Check the seasoning. Allow to cool. Put in a spoonful or two of the spicy vegetable filling into tortillas and wrap well. Place on a baking tray and scatter with some grated cheese. Bake in moderate hot oven for about 5 - 8 minutes or until cheese had melted and serve with a dollop of lime soured cream. Adapted from Leith's Vegetarian Bible.

9 comments:

  1. That looks so morish, making my mouth water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks very interesting. Thanks again for your submission to GYO

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound lovely, and with fresh carrots YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! I love the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great way to use up those garden veggies! Nice recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really mouthwatering! I think the filling would be good in a cold soft tortilla wrap too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you to you All for the lovely comments. This recipe shows how simple ingredients can be turned into tasty little fillers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, thank you for popping over to Purple Podded Peas. I'm always grateful to people who extend my knowlede - from now I will be proud to be a chutney walli :-)

    Celia

    I'll have to pop back to look at all your lovely recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Celia,
    I'm glad. I am always nervous when raising peoples awareness. Please do come back, it will be nice to hear from you again.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You