Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Sweet and Savoury Tomato Spring rolls

This version came about after conversing with Kella about the Sweet and Sour baklava. Rather than spend time layering the pastry one on top of the other in a baklava style, how much easier it would be to do individual portions, hence the spring rolls. I think they worked out brilliantly. I was even able to reheat them in the oven (not the microwave - would be too soggy) a day or two later for light nibbles.
For a homely vegan version of these tomato spring rolls, check out this link to Kella’s blog. Isn’t it wonderful how recipes evolve!
I served these with the last of courgettes which I lovingly griddled and drizzled with some lemony dressing, and some home made traditional cucumber Tzazki. I hope you like!
Sweet and Savoury Tomato Spring rolls
Makes 10 - 14
100ml olive oil
3 white onions, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 generous teaspoon dried dill
8 tomatoes, roughly chopped, I used a mixture of what I had
2 teaspoons tomato puree
100g melted butter
100g dates, stones and finely sliced
200g feta cheese, crumbled
Packet of ready made spring roll pastry. I use TYJ Spring Roll pastry (see below) which are available from both Chinese or South Asian stores.
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4. Heat the oil in a large bottomed pan. Gently fry the onions over a low heat, add the garlic and cinnamon and increase the heat. Fry until caramelised. Add the dill, tomatoes and tomato puree and cook until reduced. Turn off, then stir in the dates and feta cheese.
Now take one sheet of spring roll wrap (or two if you don't want the filling oozing out like mine above), add a couple of tablespoons of the tomato filling, paste the sides with melted butter and wrap well into individual spring rolls. Do this until you have used all the tomato filling. You should end up with about 10 – 14 depending on the size of your pastry sheets. Place on a baking tray lightly greased with oil and cook for 15 – 20 minutes until golden. Feel free to turn them over halfway, if you want them to be lightly golden on both sides. Leave to cool a little while, before serving as tomato tends to retain heat. Idea inspired by Maria Elia's The Modern Vegetarian


  1. Thanks for the mention, myself and the family loved this recipe so much I'll be repeating real soon.

  2. They look great - and are making me really rather hungry right now!

  3. That looks delicious, Mango. I still have plenty of zucchini to use, too, so this is a must-make!

  4. Thanks and hats off to you Kella, as the recipe and presentation would not have evolved into these dainty looking things.

    Thank you for coming back and I am glad you like the recipe.

    Hi Barbara,
    I thought you would have had griddled courgettes by now, with all your courgettes and innovative recipe ideas! Enjoy, it's so simple and a lovely accompaniment to most summery meals.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You