Sunday, 20 September 2009

Home-made Tomato Sauce

I saw this interesting image at the Museum yesterday and thought it would be great to accompany one of my pickles or sauces recipes.
So here they are, two jars of simple tomato ketchup. The fresh tomato supply is starting to dwindle now, but at least I will have some jars of home-made sauces, pickles and chutneys to enjoy in the coming months. Tomato Ketchup
Makes 400ml
2 tbsp olive oil
225g onions, peeled and sliced
600g tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
75ml white wine vinegar
50g sugar
2 tsp Dijon mustard
½ tsp ground allspice
½ tsp ground cloves
½ tsp salt
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan, add the onions and toss over a medium heat until cooked and a little golden. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer with the lid for about 30 minutes, until very soft. Remove from the heat and whizz in a liquidiser or food processor. Pour through a sieve into a clean saucepan and simmer, uncovered and stirring regularly for another 30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick. Pour into sterilised jars or bottles and cover with lids. Adapted from Rachel Allens Rachels Favourite food at home.


  1. Nice one I was suppose to make a batch of ketchup today but my time got eaten up by home life. Hope to get round to it tomorrow but plan on using a recipe from Jamie Oliver's book - 'Jamie at Home: Cook Your Way to the Good Life'.

    Maybe if my tomatoes keep producing well over the next couple of weeks I might get to make a second batch following your recipe and then I can do a taste comparison.

  2. Home made tomato sauce must be so much healthier than the bought stuff. I bet it would taste delicious as a pasta sauce or on a pizza base!


  3. Hi Kella,
    I made this sauce last year, at first I found it too sweet, but the longer I left the jars, the deeper and smokier the flavour became. It's quite a mild sauce for taste buds. I used it mainly to top up 'vegetable burgers'.

    My toms are starting to dwindle, i think I may have another good batch and then that is that.

    What other books did you unearth from your attic. I am quite curious to know, to see if I have any of them,or if you would recommend any of them to me?

    For sure, home-made sauce is healthier. Last year I made a few good jars of the stuff, this year, not so much. I have tried this sauce in the past on a pizza base and it works, but not on pasta.

  4. i've been making my own sauce this year...I can't wait to have it on pasta and veggies this fall and winter. Isn't it so much fun to put away all this healthy food from our gardens?

  5. Hey,

    I'm looking for an alternative Ketchup recipe, and I think this maybe it. I have previously made Jamie Oliver's version, but there is something about it that doesnt make it 'spot on' Going to give yours a try

  6. Thank you so much GardenMom,
    I totally agree. I wish I had a big house and a big garden. Big garden to grow more veg, big house, so that i could store all these jams, chutneys, preserves and so on. Maybe one day!

    Hiya James,
    If you do make it, don't be too tempted to eat it soon. You can if you want it sweet, but if you want it to have a deeper, slightly smoky flavour, leave it longer. Normally I would have added a chilli pepper or two. I like my spice kick, but this time I thought I would let the natural flavours come through. Hope you like.

  7. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I have been wanting to make ketchup.

  8. It is quite a plain and simple recipe, I hope you like. It is good with veggie burgers.

  9. That antique pickles ad would make a great label for your homecanned items. And thanks for the vote for my Chickpea and Fennel Salad on No Croutons Required. I'm so glad you liked it. Alas, my fennel crop is used up, and now it is on to the kale and Brussels Sprouts!

  10. Thanks Rachel.

    And your welcome about the vote!

    I ran out of my fennel only last week.

    Wow, you already have brussels sprouts to eat, mine are still tiny, but I have plenty of brocolli and kale!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You