Tuesday, 15 September 2009

Tomato chutneys

I was in Aberdeen today for a meeting. How many people do you know go to Aberdeen and return back home (in my case the West of Scotland) on the same day, not many especially as it is 6 hours journey in total. I didn't get to do any sight seeing, that only happens if I stay overnight. So as tired as I am, I am here with another blog entry (oh you know I like it really).
Right now though, I thought I would share some tomato chutney recipes I made with some of my tomatoes. I know I said I wasn't going to make any because of the lack of space and lack of jars, but a new friend had persuaded me with a 'swap' of one of her home-made preserves providing I made a chutney out of my tomatoes. So how could I resist such an offer, plus what else was I going to do with all those tomatoes?! None of you are nearby for me to share them fresh with y'all.
This is the Spicy Tomato and Apple Chutney and the one below it is Red Tomato and celery chutney. The cooking apples came from a fellow plot-holder (Thank you) and the celery is shop bought (grown in Britain), I am sure someone on the plot is growing them, but I haven't seen them to ask for a veg swap, so shop bought it had to be. And the chillies, ah I cheated just a little bit, because I did not grow my own chilli plant from seed. About a month or two ago, I was tempted and bought it from a garden centre, so it's kinda mine.
I filled three jars, all different sizes, because that is all I had. D labelled them Daddy, mummy and kiddie winks.

Spicy Tomato and apple chutneyIngredients
1 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
2 onions, peeled and chopped
100g raisins or sultans
1 large cooking apple, peeled, cored and chopped
300g sugar
225 red wine vinegar
2 teaspoon salt
½ tsp all spice
½ ground ginger
½ freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 red chilli, sliced
Place all the ingredients in a wide pan and bring up to the boil, stirring. Continue to simmer over a low heat, uncovered, stirring regularly to make sure the bottom does not burn for about 1 hour or until it is thick and pulpy. Pour into hot, sterilised jars and cover while the chutney is still hot. Leave to mature for 1 – 2 weeks before eating. Adapted from Rachel Allens Rachel’s Favourite Food at Home
and Red Tomato and celery chutneyMakes 2.7kg
450g onions, minced
1 large head of celery, peeled of stringy outer skin and sliced
900ml malt vinegar
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon allspice berries
½ teaspoon of ginger powder
1 teaspoon of celery seeds
1 ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
1 kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
450g cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped
2 teaspoons salt
Generous pinch of cayenne pepper
350g light soft brown sugar
200g sultanas or raisins
Place the onions and celery with half of the vinegar and all of the pickling spices (not salt or cayenne) in a large pan. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 30 minutes, until almost tender. Add the tomatoes and apples, the remaining vinegar, and the other ingredients. Bring to the boil, stirring frequently, and continue to cook slowly, uncovered for 1 ½ -2 hours, or until the chutney is thick and there is no liquid left on the surface. Stir from time to time, to prevent sticking. Spoon the chutney into cooled sterilised jars and seal. Store for 2 – 3 weeks before using. Adapted from Best Kept Secrets of the Women’s Institute Jams, Pickles and Chutneys


  1. These look yummy, I have also been working on preserving my tomatoes this week but I'll hopefully get around to posting what I did with them later this week.

    P.S. I have just left you an award on my blog.


  2. So much chutney! looks delicious!


  3. drool, drool, they look delicious :o)
    The chillies are definitely yours, many people are very successful at killing the plants they buy you know! I would say that of course, otherwise half the stuff I grow at the allotment would have to be called 'Dave's...' since he gives me so many seedlings

  4. Hi Kella,

    Thank you so much for thinkig of me!

    I really appreciate your kindness and support. Please don't take this the wrong way, but I decided when I started my blog that I would try to avoid the various 'award' schemes that you find on the web. This is not to say that I am not delighted that you thought of me.

    As you know I really do enjoy reading your blog, hence I keep coming back again and again.

    PS I am looking forward to reading about those preserved tomatoes. A tip I am sure to pick up on in the near future.

  5. Thank Rose.

    Thanks Nic for saying the chillies are mine.

    You know whats funny, I am doing really well growing at the allotment, but in relation to my house plants, well they are another story. I even managed to kill my aloe vera plant.

    Thanks Michele. It's good to have you back!

  6. That’s ok re the award I forgot to write that the recipients weren't obliged to take part.

    Just wanted to let you know how enjoyable your blog is.

    I've written the post on preserving the tomatoes, so you can check it out now.

    Ta! Ta! for now, :)

  7. Thank you so much for being understanding Kella.
    Once again, the thought was very much appreciated.

  8. Mmmm ... I love the kiddie winks!
    These sound like wonderful chutneys, Mango. And I love looking at your garden photos; thanks for sharing.

  9. Thanks Barbara,
    I'll keep you informed on how they taste when I come to open a jar. I think kiddie winks might be a present jar for someone in the near future.

  10. yum - I love the sound of the tomato and celery chutney - I try to love celery and this sounds like an interesting way to eat it - as I always love chutneys like these!

  11. What a lovely surprise to find you here Johanna.

    You have reminded me, I better open a jar, as one of the spiced tomato and apple chutneys jar is now finished.

  12. still coming back to this recipe - currently bubbling away in the slow cooker x

    1. I am so pleased Nic. Hope it turns out good. I am jealous a little though, as we didn't grow any tomatoes, looking forward to the day when I will get back into growing again.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You