Friday, 11 September 2009

Roasted beans with couscous and spiced feta Salad

I know I know I have a load of tomatoes and plums, so why on earth am I showcasing a couscous salad. Well my dear readers, please don't fret. I have just poured the plum jam into jars and the plum chutney is simmering away as I type. I have also made a Tomato lasagne which I will showcase tomorrow as it is intended to be our supper for tomorrow when we get back from our trip to Fife tomorrow. You will be pleased to know that this couscous recipe does have my homegrown green beans, runner beans, shallots, baby onions and rosemary. So it's not all bad.
This is one of my favourite couscous salad recipes, I must have made this about 4 – 5 times last year. It is quite substantial on its own, but could also be served as part of a buffet with dolmades, olives and roasted balsamic tomatoes. I don't know what it's origins are or if its just one of those brilliant fusion recipes, as it has couscous from North Africa, feta cheese from Greece, spices from India, and all the fresh vegetables from the U.K, my plot to be more precise. So I hope Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen accepts this as she is this months host for No Croutons Required Challenge.
Roasted beans with couscous and spiced feta Salad
Serves 4
For the marinated feta.
This part can be omitted for vegans or *substituted with a vegan alternative
200g feta cheese*
4 cloves of garlic, halved
2 hot chillies, halved
A few sprigs of rosemary or thyme
Olive oil
For the couscous
8-10 shallots, or small onions, red or white
300g couscous
1 teaspoon turmeric
Zest of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
500g runner and climbing beans (use fat climbing beans though, not thin ones as they will shrivel and burn). Slice into diagonal pieces
4 cloves of garlic, sliced
2 fresh red chillies, chopped into rings
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of fennel seeds
50ml vegetable stock or water
200g cooked chickpeas
Small handful of coriander, chopped
Chop the feta into cubes, put into a bowl with the garlic, chillies and herb sprigs. Pour in enough oil to cover the cheese and leave to marinate for an hour before you want to serve the couscous.
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Toss the peeled shallots or onions with a little olive oil into a large baking dish and roast until they have softened a little and beginning to colour. While that is cooking, soak the couscous. Stir n the turmeric, lemon zest into the dry couscous, season and pour in 300ml vegetable stock. Stir the couscous once and leave it to absorb the flavours until the vegetables are cooked. Add the chopped beans and garlic to the shallots. Toss well and return back to the oven. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the sliced chillies, cumin and fennel, along with the 50ml water to keep the beans from sticking. Cook for a few more minutes until the beans are tender and the flavours are well absorbed. Stir in the chickpeas and coriander.
Sift the couscous with a fork, then gently stir into the cooked vegetables. Serve and scatter over the marinated feta with a drizzle of the flavoured oil. Adapted from Denis Cotter’s Paradiso Seasons


  1. Oooh! This recipe sounds and looks delicious. I love couscous especially as it is so versatile. I have lost count of the many ways I have dressed it up with veges whether they were dry fried/ oven roasted.

    This recipe intrigues me because of all the differing herbs and spices you have mixed together.

    I think this will be our Sunday dinner, and the veges will all be home grown, yum!

  2. ooo u remind me I havent made cous cous salad in ages! You certainly put a different twist on the cous cous salad im use to.


  3. I hope it becomes one of your favourites Kella, as it sure is mine. My husband is not a fan of couscous at all, but he really loves eating this dish.

    I think this is the season to be enjoying couscous, when it warm - it is such a light dish too.

  4. this looks lovely - I love roast vegies but haven't roasted beans - your advice not to roast thin ones will be something to remember when I try it

  5. Thank you Johanna,
    I always love hearing from you.

  6. I think this is completely acceptable for you to make, especially because you used your own green beans! It is a fusion of so many pieces of the Mediterranean world.

  7. Thank you for your comment Joanne.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You