Sunday, 6 September 2009

Breakfast, lunch and supper

Oh lucky me, or should I say greedy me. It's not everyday, I get to sit down and enjoy my three plates of food, dominated by fruit and veg that i've grown. I am starting backwards, as I have just finished eating these Thai inspired vegetable fritters for my supper.
Yes my readers I am afraid I have gorged some more on deep fried food, is it better that it was shallow fried?! I am sure you will be more sympathetic when you realise that the food I had earlier was a little more health conscious, well sort of.
These Thai vegetable fritters were accompanied with a cool cucumber salad in ginger-lime dressing which was really delicious. The recipe for both are below. The only thing I would do differently for the Thai inspired fritters is to half and slice the green beans length ways, as chopping them into small pieces, did not combine so well, when dropped into the hot vegetable oil.
When we got back from the allotment, for lunch we both had the last of the tomato soup with wholemeal bread. D has refused to give me a recipe, saying he does not do recipes, he just puts all natural ingredients into the pot, with pips and skin and it comes out delicious. This time he's right, this soup was rather good, I have permitted him to make some more tomorrow.
And for breakfast we had pancakes with our blueberries. I was going to make a cake with these, but I have so many plums in the flat, that I thought it was best to enjoy these au naturale.

Thai Inspired Vegetable fritters
Serves 4
120g French beans
200g carrots, grated
4 spring onions, chopped including green parts
110g radishes, grated
2 red chillies, chopped
2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, chopped
1 tablespoon of Thai red curry paste
Zest of 1 lime
1 medium eggs, beaten
100g chickpea flour
Salt to taste
2 - 4 tablespoons of water
Sunflower oil for frying
Top and tail the French beans and chop into small pieces.
Mix together with the potatoes, spring onions, carrots, lime zest, coriander, chillies and curry paste. Stir in the egg and chickpea flour. Season with salt. Add water as necessary to combine as chickpea flours vary. Heat a little oil in a heavy frying pan. Fry spoonfuls of the mixture for a few minutes on each side until golden-brown. Recipe adapted from Leith's Vegetable Bible.
For the ginger-lime dressing
About 10g root ginger, finely chopped or grated
60ml Tamari or soy sauce
120ml vegetable oil
2 clove of garlic, crushed
4 medium tomatoes, cut into quarters
Juice of 1 lime
Place all the dressing ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth. Pour over cucumber that has been sliced thinly, either with a mandolin or potato peeler.


  1. Those fritters do look good might give them a go.

  2. speaking as someone who also loves deep fried food. What I have heard is that if cooked at the right temperature, deep frying uses only marginally more oil than pan frying. You can measure your before and after amounts of oil if you really care. I tend to think it is totally worth it. . . . looks yummy!

  3. ooo im jelous of your yummy meals! i wish i could eat like that every day. Especially pancakes :)


  4. Your fritters look delicious mangocheeks, I'll have to give them a go, we're hoping to have our onions soon and carrots are approaching full size so plenty of ideas. Keep em coming!!

  5. As always I love your food Mangocheeks! That day's worth of food would make me very happy indeed and I know my hubby would agree :)

  6. Kella,
    I hope you like!

    Thanks for the tip Leah.

    Ooh don't be jealous Rose.

    I hope you enjoy them when you make them.

    Thank you Jacqueline.

  7. Beautiful fritters, Mango! I can taste the freshness — and a little fried food is fine, from time to time. I especially like the ginger-lime dressing. Great combo. You are quite the creative cook!

  8. I love the fritter recipe. yum!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You