Tuesday, 8 September 2009

Vegan Tuesdays

Yesterday I wrote about Meat Free Mondays, well today may I introduce you to Vegan Tuesdays. Please don't switch off, you might just find it interesting.

I was introduced to the idea of Vegan Tuesdays from Michele of Veggie Num Nums, a vegetarian food blogger.
If I look closely at my weekly menu, I am sure I have a vegan dish in there somewhere, if not, I am sure I can easily veganize it. Unlike Michele, I am not yet disciplined enough to focus every week on one day in the week for a vegan diet, but I would like to try. If you are a vegetarian or meat eater, I would encourage you to have a go. But I am not encouraging the vegans amongst you, I know that every day is vegan day for you all.

I am dedicating this recipe to Michele who has been poorly recently. Fortunately she is now on the path to recovery. Michele, your blog readers are thinking of you.
This herb-scented cherry tomato risotto is a good after work supper dish. I will give you two reasons why. First, it is such as easy dish, and secondly, unlike normal risotto dishes that require your full attention and time slowly stirring the rice in the stock, with this one you simply make it in the oven. This risotto is best made in a large roasting tin or baking dish. This risotto is good on its own, but in the past, I have served it with samphire, which just gives it a contrasting flavour to the sweetness of the tomatoes.
Oven-baked cherry tomato risottoServes 4
Ingredients250g cherry tomatoes
1 small red onion, thinly chopped
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 - 6 garlic cloves, with skin
300g risotto rice such as Arborio or Carnaroli800ml vegetable stock
2 sprigs of rosemary or substitute with thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Place the cherry tomatoes and garlic in a large baking dish, scatter over the red onion. Drizzle with olive oil and roast for 10 minutes. Add the rice, stock, herb and seasoning and return to the oven for 30 - 35 minutes until the rice is tender and the liquid has almost been absorbed. Serve at the table immediately. You can also eat the garlic, though do take the papery skin off. PS Whatever you do not be tempted to stir the rice at any point.


  1. You have some delicious looking food, I shall be back more often..

    Wonderful blog.

  2. That looks tasty and easy! I hate the stirring part of risotto as the phone usually rings or something which takes me away for a minute or so and it is stuck to the pot when I get back!Definitely one I will be doing

  3. I'm still drowning in tomatoes so I'll be borrowing this one as well.

  4. Yay for vegan Tuesdays! :) like u said, every day is vegan day for me lol and yes most recipes can be veganised, thats for sure!
    I never knew risotto could be made in the oven. I remember trying to make it once and it was a disaster, so i havent tried it since. Yours looks great!


  5. Wow! Thank you for the kind thoughts. Welcome to Vegan Tuesdays! This recipe looks amazing. I love the idea of making risotto in the oven. Such a great way to simplify.

  6. I never tried roasted risotto, Mango, but your recipe has inspired me to try it. Awesome!

  7. Oh dear, Mango, I keep forgetting about vegan Tuesdays...until Wednesdays! So thanks for this reminder. I'll try and book it in the diary for next week. The risotto looks yummy.

  8. Peggy, Kella, Rose and Barbara,
    Thank you so much for your comments. This is a good standby risotto recipes when you want something relatively quick, but I do still like proper good old fashioned risotto. I sometimes find all that stirring quite therapeutic...ahhhh.

    Dearest Michele.
    Thanks for the kind welcome to Vegan Tuesdays. I will try my utmost to participate as much as I can on Vegan Tuesdays.

    Yes Fran,
    I remember you started a while ago, but don't fret too much. I am a bit like you and will probably lose track which day of the week it is, so when we can, it would be good to participate in Vegan Tuesdays. You can fly the flag for Vegan Tuesdays for North-East London and I will do it for the the West of Scotland, or maybe the whole of Scotland, if i'm that ambitious.

  9. I think this is a great idea. I've been doing about 2 or 3 meat-free days a week, maybe I should make one of those vegan as well. After all, it's not so difficult to commit to one day a week. And even a small change is beneficial to your health.

  10. The Woman,

    Totally agree with you, but that's easy for me to say.

  11. I've never thought to try baking risotto but I like the look of it - I prefer the rice to still be grainy rather than too creamy. My first experience of risotto in a restaurant 10 years ago was so appalling (grey and bland in taste and colour) I've never been indeared to making it much at home. Except for a one time making of beetroot risotto which was a gorgeous bright pink colour and tasted nice but was too labour intensive to produce again!

  12. Hi Nic,
    I totally sympathise. I never order risotto when I go out. It's either been rice pudding or drowing in it.

    I've seen lots of beetroot risotto recipes, but the pinkness is a little off-putting, only desserts should be pink - well that's what my head keeps telling me.

  13. This looks like a lovely recipe. Might work well in the Aga for The Underground Restaurant!

  14. Oh Hello there,
    It is so nice to hear from you.
    I have absoltely no doubt that this recipe would work well in an Aga, but you know what they say, try and test it! : )

  15. This recipe looks so delicious. My favorite part is the instruction NOT to stir the rice! I look forward to trying this easier version or risotto.

  16. Hello Jillbert,
    It's okay, it's a dish that is good when you don't have time to potter around too much in the kitchen. I hope you like it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You