Thursday, 17 September 2009

Plum and almond cake

This is perhaps my last plum cake of the year, so it must must be enjoyed slowly. I must have made this Plum and almond cake about 4 times last year: for D, for family and for friends, and everyone who had a piece just loved it. It is a very moreish cake. The secret is to have sweet plums and good quality almonds.
I divided the mix between two tins, so that I could give one to Fitzy as a Thank you for giving me all those plums in the first place.

I kept a page from the BBC Good Food Magazine which is where the recipe for Plum and pistachio cake came from, I tried to find the link on their website to save me from typing the recipe, but they did not seem to have this particular cake on it. So here is it. I only changed one thing, in place of the shelled pistachio, I had ground almonds.
Plum and Almond cake
Serves 8
Ingredients
8 plums
50g ground almonds
175g softened butter
175g caster sugar
3 eggs
175g self-raising flour
zest and juice of 1 lemon
Method
Heat oven to gas 4. Butter the base of a 20-22cm cake tin. Halve and stone the plums, then cut them into quarters. Cream the butter and sugar together, then add the eggs, flour, ground almonds, lemon zest and juice. Stir well to combine. Spoon half of the cake mix into the prepared tin and smooth it over. Scatter half the plums over the cake mix, then spoon the remaining cake mix on top. Smooth over and scatter with the remaining fruit. Bake for 40 - 50 minutes until the cake is firm and golden brown. cool for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool completely before serving.

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful recipe! I love the BBC food site.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ALL for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those cakes look terrific! We don't have plums growing anywhere I can get a few, I may try the farmer's market for some.
    Your garden at the flat looks tiny but so productive! I can see why you have an allotment though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Peggy,
    I am so surprised there is noone on you allotment site growing them, they were literally falling off trees here, that the owners of the plum trees were more than happy to get rid of them.

    When we moved into the flat, D dug me plot about 8 foot by 6 foot where I grew salads, spinach and courgettes. I grew other herbs in pots. I was so glad when I got the allotment, since then I have been even more productive. Yipee.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You