Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Knowing your melons

D made some lovely tomato soup yesterday. This morning, he lovingly reheated it and poured it into a flask for me to take into work for lunch. So in order to make more of a lunch of it. I decided to walk over to the local supermarket to pick up some bread rolls. While I was in a queue waiting to pay, the cashier says to the woman she is serving:

Do you know what kind of melon this is?
Woman responds confidently: Yes, honeydew.
Cashier says: Are you sure?!
Woman responds: Yes! Of course

But it was not, it was Galia, the mottled rough callous skinned melon, not the smooth, gold, scented Honeydew melon. I felt like ‘butting in’ and telling her ‘no, no it is not a honeydew melon, it’s a…..' but I decided not to. Some people just do not take kindly to being pointed out as wrong, especially in public. So she ended up paying £2.00 for what should have cost her around £1.00

I don’t know much, but I know the difference between these two melons. I'm not a food snob, am I?

6 comments:

  1. Your not a food snob! You just know what you are talking about. It is ammusing when people dont know much about produce. It sad people are not more knowledgeable about what they put in there bodies. Us food snobs must stick together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jenn.
    For making me smile and making me feel better about my knowledge of food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. here's a top tiperooni for regarding melons. Do NOT ever cook it. I sometimes add banana or apple to porridge which is lovely. I tried it with melon and it was too unlovely for words. Well there is one... vile just about sums it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMmmm very interesting! very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all melons and fortunately it's melon season here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. To be honest with you, I don't think I have had a single melon this year, I have been drowning in my homegrown food, that looking elsewhere seems silly.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You