Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Spicy tomato marmalade tart

This is rich and spicy tomato and pepper marmalade known as metboukha apparently has its origins in North Africa, but what part of North Africa is what I wanted to know. I tried to do a bit more research on the web, but could not find anything that came close, so if anyone else out there has more information, please do enlighten me.

You could eat the spicy marmalade as a topping on some flat bread, but I generously covered a thinnish, light and delicate shortcrust pastry. Eating the tart was very reminisce of a pizza.
So you could call this a spicy tomato marmalade pizza-ish tart, but I digress, the original recipe just uses green peppers, but I used both yellow and green. I served the tart with some salad leaves and cubes of roasted potatoes.
Spicy tomato marmalade tart
Serves 4 - 6
For the shortcrust pastry
180g plain flour
A pinch of salt
30g solid vegetable fat
60g butter
Cold water to bind
Sift the flour with the salt into a bowl. Rub in the fats until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add two tablespoons of water. You may need a little bit more water to bind together. Mix to a firm dough, Wrap in cling film and chill for about 30 minutes before using.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
Roll out the pastry and use to line the tin. Bake blind in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes.
For the spicy marmalade
2 peppers: green and yellow
340g tomatoes
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 small onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 long red chilli, chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
100ml vegetable stock
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6 - 7.
Cut the peppers into quarts and remove the pith and seeds. Drizzle with a little oil, and put in oven skin side up for 20 – 30 minutes until skin has blistered and blackened. Remove and place in a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to cool, then remove the skin. Cut into small dices. Peel the tomatoes and chop finely. Heat the oil in a medium pan. Add the onion and sweat gently for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, diced pepper, chilli and paprika and cook for a couple of minutes. Remove the lid and allow any liquid to evaporate and the sauce to thicken.
Spread into the tart case, Serve warm or cold. Recipe slightly adapted from the excellent Leith’s Vegetarian Bible


  1. I can barely keep up with you and these tomato recipes :)

  2. perhaps the name's been chinese whispered and is a mix of these two Tunisian favourites - mechouia (grilled peppers with tomatoes, onion and garlic) washed down with boukha (fig brandy)

  3. Thanks Kella - you'll be pleased to know todays dish contains green beans, but I just had to add some fresh tomatoes to it.

    Thanks Fran.

    Hi Nic,
    I did come across boukha (fig brandy) but not the mechouia, so I think you might be onto something there. Thanks for sharing this information, I will check out the article.

  4. What a great supper dish, perfect for the upcoming Autumn!

  5. Hi Nicisme,
    It don't look like much, but it sure is tasty!

  6. You sure do come up with excellent recipes! I think this marmalade would be great for lunch with salad veggies.


  7. Thank you Rose for such a lovely compliment, I do try to experiment with what I have growing, and then in the winter i rely very heavily on my store cupboard.

  8. This is really unusual, but it sounds very nice.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You