Wednesday, 16 June 2010

Mosaic Spinach and Pasta Pie

I have been wanting to make this high rise pasta pie for a long time, but have been hesitant in making it. Namely because of its sheer size, its huge for a couple. Its a pie to share with others, which of course I would be more than happy to do. But you see I don’t have a large circle of friends; a large place to throw a party and invite work colleagues over; or even my family, all of whom live outwith Scotland. So sadly it remained bookmarked, waiting for the right occasion, an invitation or even an excuse to make.

Well recently whilst flicking though the cookbook, namely looking for inspiration to get back into the kitchen, I come across the bookmarked page. I read the recipe a little closer and learn that this pie can also be served cold. Well that was good enough for me, plus spinach is in season.

I made this pie on Sunday with D in mind. You see, I was due to be away from the warmth of my home for a couple of days. So like a good wife, I made something he could could re-heat (if he wished) and eat while I was away. Oh D is more than capable of cooking and fending for himself when I am away, but as I said I was really looking for a reason to make this pie. And I think my husband is a perfect reason.
This pie reminded me of the Carrot and green bean pie I made last year. It was surely a centerpiece. Well did I get to eat any of this pie. Of course I did. I returned home late this afternoon and there was more than half. I ask D, 'did it fall apart when you cut it open? Did you like it?' He responded 'it sliced beautifully and tastes as good as it looks'. It sure did. I think would be an excellent pie for a picnic, especially if your serving a crowd.
I am submitting this to Presto Pasta Nights. For those of you who are new to Presto Pasta Nights, or PPN as it is fondly known was the brainchild of Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. There are a few simple rules, but the most important one of them is that the dish must include some sort of noodle. This week PPN#168 is being hosted by The Sweet Kitchen .
Mosaic Spinach and Pasta Pie
Serves 6 - 8
225g macaroni pasta
50g butter
200g spinach leaves, roughly shredded
200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
50g sun-dried tomatoes, roughly chopped
100g frozen peas, defrosted
1 tablespoon cornflour or arrowroot, mixed to a paste with 2 tablespoons cold water
300ml double cream
3 medium eggs, beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
Hot water crust pastry recipe
Cook pasta according to packets instructions until al dente. Drain and season with salt and pepper.
Melt the butter in large pan, add the mushrooms and cook over a medium heat for 5 minutes until tender. Add the tomatoes and spinach, and cook until the spinach begins to just wilt. Remove from the heat and toss together with the pasta. Add the peas, mix well and adjust seasoning if necessary.
Now make the hot water crust pastry and line an 8 inch spring form tin using two thirds of the pastry. This quantity will fit an 8 inch tin. You may need your fingers to ensure the tin is moulded well with the pastry.
Place the pasta in the pastry case and press down gently. Combine the cornflour paste with the cream and eggs in a bowl, then pour the cream mixture over the pasta in the tin. Roll out the remaining pastry into a circle large enough to cover the pie. Dampen with the edges of the pastry with water than top the pie with the pastry circle. Crimp and seal the edges by pressing with your thumb and forefingers all the way around. Make a small hole in the top for the steam to escape. Bake for 45 minutes to an hour or until pastry is golden and the middle is set. Leave to cool 10 – 15 minutes, before serving. Serve hot or cold. Adapted from Paul Gaylers Vegetarian Cookbook.


  1. I am definitely gong to try this next week - i think it may feed us for the week!
    Love your posts - lots of inspirational ideas and gorgeous food :)

  2. What a lovely thing to do for your dear husband and what a fantastic pie to make. I want one! I'm so nervous of making pastry though as mine is invariably not that good. I still haven't tried making hot water crust pastry though. Have noticed you've been making rather a lot of very yummy looking pies recently.

  3. This spinach and pasta pie looks very delicious.
    Nice pic.Can I omit eggs in this recipe or can you suggest me what would be a good egg substitute for this recipe.
    Thank you.

  4. Well, someone's a very busy bee in the kitchen. This pie looks a tad time consuming...but, WOW...amazing results. If its as appetizing as it got yourself a winner ;o)
    Flavourful wishes, Claudia

  5. I wish I lived closer so I could come to a pasta pie party at your place, wow, it looks incredible! What a showstopper at any event, I'm thinking an outdoor concert where groups of people throw down blankets and put down a spread, I want to be in your group with the pasta pie, seriously!

  6. Wow, that looks pretty immense, but absolutely lovely. I've been quite getting into pies lately, something I've always shyed away from, but served with the right things they're gorgeous.

  7. A gorgeous pasta in pie,I have to try this :D

  8. This mosaic pie looks delicious, Mango. It reminds me of a timbale. Have you ever seen the film "Big Night"? The timbale is one of the dishes the brothers make in the film. I think you would like it. Lots of inspiration there.

  9. Thanks for dropping by my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I love your blog. I'm really new to gardening and veg growing so your blog is an inspiration :)

  10. That is a real show-stopper, a truly wondrous looking pie. Remind's me bit of the Shooter's Sandwich my hubby was trying to convince me to make this morning...though I imagine yours is less likely to induce heart failure.

  11. Thank you so, so much freerangegirl.
    Its a lovely recipe, the only part where you need to be quick is with the moulding of the pastry into the tin. Please do let me know how it went and if you enjoyed it.

    Thank you Choclette.
    I know - ain't I sweet!
    I am sure you would do the same for yours truly CT.
    Choclette, if you were near by I would have been happy to come on over and give you half of it, forget about just a slice.

    I've made this pastry a number of times. Once you get a hang of it, its fine. I completely recommend you having a go. Once you've tried it, you too will be making plenty of veggie pies.

    Thank you Kiran.
    I really don't know what to suggest in place of the eggs. Just try and make it without the eggs, sometimes the pasta is sticky and this may help bind the filling. You can only try. I do sincerely hope this works. Please do let me know if you try it this way.

    Yes Claudia.
    I was a little busy in the kitchen on Sunday. Its is a pie that needs to be made when you have time on you hand, but as you can see it is certainly worth it.

    Thank you so, So much Pacheco Patty.
    Your lovely comment really made me smile.
    I would have be more than happy to have shared this pie with you if you lived near by.

    Thank You Karen - The English Writer.
    It certainly was huge. I'm curious to know what fillings were in your pies?!

    Thank you so, So much Yasmeen.

    Thank you so much Barbara.
    I just typed in the movie Big NIght' into the IMDb and saw a trailer and guess what, it briefly showed the timable your referred to. Awesome! I am going to look out for the movie and may pick it up. Thanks for letting me know about it as I had not heard of it. Thank you.

    Thanks for repaying the compliment Angelcat. I am so pleased you enjoyed your visit. Please do come back again.

    Thank you so much Christine.
    You must tell me more about this Shooter's Sandwich. I have to admit I have never heard of it. Is it as intense as it sounds?!.

  12. Christine - just been told by my husband what a 'Shooters sandwich is'. So I need to know no more.

  13. My hubby read about it here:

    Looks fantastic. I saw something similar made by a French Canadian chef and it had a gazillion types of meat in it. Very rich but I think I have to make it just once. I love the idea of compressing a sandwich into a cake. I imagine a vegetarian version could be made, perhaps slices of aubergine and portabella mushrooms?

  14. That looks totally awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Great entry!

  15. Wow! So thick & scrumptious!!

    I must check out Presto Pasta Nights. Those sounds like just my kind of nights. :)

  16. Thank you Jennifer.

    Please do go by and check it out.

  17. Christine.
    Thank you for sharing the link. Its been a little while since I visited the Guardian food page. Your right. I too like the idea of compressing a sandwich, especially if the crust is crisp and chewy and not likely to turn soggy. I totally dislike soggy break. Who knows, a veggie version may just come out of your kitchen, or even mine. Lets see. Certainly would be good portable food!

  18. Thank you will try and let you know.

  19. Girl, you are awesome! THis looks so good, and almost too perfect to eat! Good one!

  20. Morgan,
    Compliment accepted and most appreciated.
    Thank you.

  21. Your hubby is a very lucky guy! Sorry I didn't get your post in the roundup this morning but I've now updated it to include your lovely pie.

  22. this looks beautiful - I was just thinking of your carrot pie when I saw this - sometimes you just need to treat yourselves as special! Esp when you have had a dip in your cooking mojo recently - I would say it is definitely back with this masterpiece

  23. Thank you so, so much Johanna.
    I wish you could see the smile on my face right now.

  24. Thank you Sweet Kitchen. I noted that a number of entries were missing, not just mine. Technology eh. Glad you got a chance to include them.

  25. I have never ever seen anything like that! How interesting, I'd love to try it!

    Thank you for the comment on my Fisheye photos... I was so surprised you said that! I thought they turned out mehhh, but it's so cool you found a 'magical' quality in them!! :D thank you so much

  26. Thanks Laura Loo.
    And thank you so much for coming by too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You