Monday, 3 October 2011

Spiced Sweet Potato Wonton Pot Stickers

Due to our economic and social circumstances not improving as rapidly as we would like,  we have both of sorts placed austerity measures upon our already small lives.  This means that in the past few months there have been very little treats, (except of course those that come relatively for free).   This way of life is sadly set to continue.  For the consumer in me, this means a firm no to kitchenalia or cookbooks - my simple pleasures. I have to admit I have found it extremely hard to come out of a (secondhand, new or charity) bookshop empty handed; its almost like an addiction, but I have.  What is happening in its place, is my cookbook 'wish list' is growing steadily; and I don't know if that is a good thing.  Hopefully; and I mean that with all my heart that one of us will make some progress and get back into some sort of flow and see some pounds coming our way; our spirits will somewhat be uplifted, once more.
 One of the things I have pleasantly rediscovered on my burgeoning bookshelf are little books - more precisely paperbacks, that often get pushed to the back because they have no glossy photographs; or seem a little out-dated. One that I have been perusing quite a lot recently is Real Vegetarian Thai. There are so many recipes in it that have been exciting me. I've already made Yellow Curry with Cabbage; and many others have been bookmarked. But today I will share with you my adaptation of 'Two Potato Curry Pot Stickers'.
 Although a little more time consuming to make in relation to preparation of ingredients, I actually think I am getting quite good at this, as these pot stickers were a vast improvement from my previous two attempts; one of which was a bit on the soggy side. But when you get it right, oh my...each one is relished with great delight.

Imagine South Asian samosa flavours in a Chinese dumpling.  Well that is exactly what we have here and they were absolutely delicious; and you know I am giving you my honest opinion as I don't often rave about recipes that loudly on my blog. I really enjoyed how something that is both crispy golden; and soft steamed could work so well together.  Then for added luxury, its dipped into a sweet, mildly spiced jelly like syrup. I was really lost for words.  Combined together the Spiced Sweet Potato Pot stickers and Sweet Garlic Chilli sauce was really gorgeous to eat.
If I have at all succeeded in tempting you to make this, then first make the sweet garlic chilli sauce, as the sweetness and speckled ruby red chilli flakes glitter effect enhances the appearance like gloss, as well as the enjoyment of the sublime wontons.

I am sharing a plate of these Spiced Sweet Potato Pot Stickers with Just Another Meatless Monday and Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays #50. 
Sweet Garlic Chilli Sauce
Makes 1 x 245g Jar
Ingredients
200g sugar
100ml water
125ml white vinegar
3 tablespoons grail, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon of sambal eolek or other red chilli suace
Method
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar, water, vinegar, garlic and salt. Bring to a boil over medium heat, sirring until the sugar dissolves. Reduce the heat and simmer until the sauce thickens and becomes syrupy, about 20 – 25 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the sambal oelek or other red chilli sauce. Leave to cool, then transfer to a jar and seal tight. Refrigerate until time of serving. Serve at room temperature. It will keep for up to a month in the fridge.
Spiced Sweet Potato and Cabbage Pot Stickers
Ingredients
Makes around 32 - 40 depending on your filling*
90g chestnut mushrooms, minced
180g potatoes, cooked and mashed
120g sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed
30g fresh bread crumbs
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon Tamari or soy sauce
½ teaspoon garam masala (or curry powder)
Salt to taste
2 spring onions, finely sliced
80g green cabbage, minced
Handful of  fresh coriander, roughly chopped
Packet of wonton wrapper, about 40
1 – 2 tablespoon for every 12 pot stickers you cook
60ml vegetable stock for every 12 pot stickers
Method
In a bowl, combine the mushrooms, mashed white and sweet potatoes, breadcrumbs, egg, Tamari or soy sauce, garam masala (or curry powder), spring onions, cabbage, and coriander and season to taste.  Combine well until all the ingredients are evenly distributed. 
Setup a work space with a chopping board, a baking sheet (or two), a small bowl of water, the wonton wrappers, and the spiced filling.
Place a wonton on the board and spoon and spoon about *1 tablespoon (or thereabouts) of the filling mixture in the middle. Carefully moisten the edges of the wonton wrapper with water, then fold the wrapper over the filling to form a triangle and gently press seal. Now bring together the two ends of the wrapper and press to seal closed. Gently tap the pot sticker on the board to flatten is base to help it stand upright.  Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining wrappers and filling.
To cook: Heat 1 - 2 tablespoon of the oil in a large non stick pan over medium-high heat. Place about 8 – 12 wontons in the pan, you will need to do this in batches as you do not want to crowd the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes, until the bottoms are golden brown. Then add in 60ml of the vegetable stock. Cover and reduce the heat to medium and cook until the stock evaporates and the wrappers are translucent and tender. Remove the pots stickers and serve immediately.  Repeat with the remaining wonton wrappers. Both recipes are adapted from Real Vegetarian Thai by NancieMcDermott.

35 comments:

  1. This sounds wonderful! I'm going to have to try it. Being vegetarian I'm wary of wontons because many places don't do a vegetarian version. I also grew up on the Sweet Chili Sauce, so it's nice to have a recipe for one. Sometimes I wonder about the bottled sauce and preservatives. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I really would enjoy this. Looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes cook the dim sum (a vast choice of saltes foods and/or sweetened, served for some in boxes steam in bamboo. My father was cantoneese ant learnt to me to cook them.
    Shortly, I'm surely going to make your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look absolutely delicious. A job will come for both of you soon I am sure of it. In the meantime I hope you can keep positive. Sending you happy thoughts. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope things swing up for you economically. Kitchenalia and cookbooks are definitely an addiction and hoarding problem for me too! In the meantime, these pot stickers sound amazing, and what an original filling idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so good! So beautiful and truly mouth-watering!

    I'm sorry to hear about your economic situation. I can totally relate to it- I feel so helpless with the fact that I still have no job and cannot contribute towards the family income! But all in good time, I guess. I'm sure things will turn out better for you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I enjoy going through your recipes..They look so good and I am sure they taste delicious too..

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so good! It's good that you are getting to know some of your neglected cookbooks. I should really do the same as I have discovered, though Random Recipes, that I have 183 cookbooks! Hope things look up for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm....these look lip smacking, finger licking good :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, they look scrumptious! Have made dumplings before but never pot stickers. Will bookmark this for a quiet day. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh these sound so delicious and look so tempting...I won't get them out of my mind, especially your delight and expression of them. It simply makes me hungry for Thai!!

    As for austerity measures...good times ahead...keep that in mind. If there was an icon here, it would show a hug, with an apron and spoon )))).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello! I've bought sweet potatoes for make a previous recipe of pasta but I didn't do it! So this time I'm go to try again. I have sweet potatoes issues!!

    Verónica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those look so good! You should try writing to the authors of cookbooks you're interested in - many will send a copy to you in return for a review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to hear you have a cook book ban on - I find when I'm trying to limit my spending I explore more online so maybe you can find some new inspiring veggie sites that way?

    In the meantime, you're doing a good job of inspiring me with these! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I find cookbooks in the library here. I'll do a search here and see if anything looks interesting and send it to you. I can also look through my motley collection for anything that might appeal...Any prospects for you?

    I'll keep my fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  16. THANK YOU 'ALL' SO MUCH FOR YOUR LOVELY COMMENTS.

    Thanks Mary Keys.
    I know what you mean. I haven't come across a place here that does veggie versions of these, hence the reason I have resorted to making my own (plus of course I like experimenting).
    The Sweet Chili Sauce was most excellent, so I do hope you make that even for dipping in your spring rolls!


    Thanks Malay-Kadazan girl.


    Thank you Suzy Wong.
    I would love to check out your dim sum, as you will be far more of an expert at making these than me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you Kath.
    I warmly welcome your happy and positive wishes, but i wish I could feel the same too, as its been more than six months now and its just seems to be getting harder.
    x


    Thank you foodfeud.
    Of course I can live without the Kitchenalia and cookbooks, but its sometimes nice to have treats makes you feel warm inside, plus its a reward.


    Thank you Sumaiyyah.
    I'm sorry to learn that you do not have a job. I hope you find something too, even if its part time. I am finding it really hard to be optimistic these days, as its now been 6 months and I was so sure at the time i'd find something in 3, but no :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. These look sensational - I'm trying to think of something seasonal to replace the sweet potato with. I'm wondering if carrot would work or if it would be too wet. Regardless I'm desperate to try these!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Aynzan.
    Lovely to hear from you.


    Thank you Janice.
    I agree, I am looking at some of the recipes with refreshed eyes and feel quite inspired.
    I need to check out Random Recipes Challenge, trouble is I am disorganised.


    Thank you Neesie Natters.


    Thanks Mel.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. So wonderful to hear from you Gardeningbren.
    You do know how to uplift me with your words.
    I am visualising in my head your icons for
    a hug, with an apron and spoon :)


    Hi Veronica - Pura Lana.
    Hope your sweet potato recipe goes well!



    Thans April.
    That is a good suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank Kari for your lovely comment
    :)
    I am def. inspired by on line veggie sites, esp. the blogging community. I haven't bought/subscribed to a magazine in a long long while as i've sought refuge in the blogging community who I think are a lot more original than mags.


    Thank you so much e.
    You are really generous and very kind to offer me some books from your 'motley collection',(which I must add I would love to have seen) but I will decline. If you lived nearby I would drive over, but I would not let you post anything so heavy from overseas to me. I know books from overseas can be quite costly. But I warmly appreciate the offer x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks Liz.
    Carrots would def. work!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks fantastic!!! What a great recipe! Must try at home soon....maybe this weekend. I'm so excited. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Crispy,
    I am so delighted you like. I do hope you get to try it. It was soooooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These look so yum. Have to find a chinese supermarket so I can get some wrappers (unless you have a recipe for making those too????).

    Jobs, economic and social woes - sad sad sigh. Bad times at the mo. I hope that both you and the other half find something soon. Will cross my sweet chili covered fingers for you.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks Plummy Mummy.
    I know the wrappers can be made from scratch, but I have never tried it and nor do I have a recipe for it (sorry. So You may just have to go into the bigger cities to find a Chinese Supermarket. Thanks for the kind wishes which are gratefully accepted even with you sweet chilli covered fingers :0)

    ReplyDelete
  27. These look insanely tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you so much Manasi.
    Its lovely to make your acquaintance too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely outstanding photos Shaheen, making me drool at this time of the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you Nic.
    I have to agree, these photographs are pretty cool. We were imrpessed with them too, as well as the dish!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I have kept this post unread in my Reader because I haven't been able to comment lately for some reason. I think I have it fixed. This recipe looks fantastic. I know that we would LOVE this. Your photos make my mouth water. I'm pinning this and we will be trying them soon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you Candace.
    I am sorry to read that you haven't been able to comment lately. I encountered the same problem early this week. it was resolved with the help of my readers (see my Tuesday post for help!).

    I am so, so pleased to read that you really liked this recipe; so much so that you waiting until you could comment to come back again. Thank you - that means a lot to me. I have to agree these are pretty good photos (and without sounding big headed, almost magazine worthy :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I sort of understand your problem with not buying cookbooks but my problem is slightly different - I don't have the time to browse any more and they keep closing bookshops here which makes me really sad! But this is a fantastic recipe and I agree that new cookbooks make us forget how many great recipes hide in the old ones. I have been doing quite a few dumplings lately so am always on the lookout for new ideas

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks Johanna.
    I know how you feel about closing bookshops, that is happening here too, so we must do our best to support the little independent ones for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wow! That looks so nice. I thought of making them for a training workshop when my turn comes up to supply the food in break but I would have to heat them in the microwave and that might ruin the crunchy outside part so will look for something else and make these all for me:) Ok, will share with others. I'm vegetarian so it's good to come across tasty looking and sounding veg recipes.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen