Sunday, 9 October 2011

Squash and Black Bean Soup with Jalapeño

I know I am not alone in my love for the autumnal season and the gentle kicking of dry leaves in the park under the halo of sun glow.  But here (meaning Scotland), the sun has hardly glowed with warmth being constantly overwhelmed by the looming dark clouds.  The withered and lifeless leaves here are not airy fairy light, but soggy, stodgy ad stinky with damp - yes some of us are constantly treading in puddles; and getting drenched by the piddly rain 

The one thing the autumn season certainly does well: is that it gently encourages some of us to make soup in our homes, including mine.  I have to say though, with the weather particularly in the central belt of Scotland being pretty much wet, grotty and overcast - all year - soup has been featuring on my menu  almost every week, but on the plus side, they have all been varied and very different reflecting the seasons. 

This one is made with sun gold, buttery Butternut Squash and soft black and brown beans; enhanced further with cumin seeds and Jalapeño peppers. 
I would like to say that the soup remained this beautiful golden colour, but once the black beans were blitzed in the food processor, it became earthy in colour (see below)  - the flavour was still awesome.  I did save some black beans as garnish, but they sunk as I took the photograph.  I have to say the pickled Jalapeño peppers really makes a difference to the soup, so don't go omitting it.  Its pickly warmth lifts the soup and makes you feel all warm and happy inside, well it did me (then again I am easily pleased).  If you like the sound of this soup my Chilli Spiked Roasted Pumpkin Soup may also appeal to your senses - click here.
I am sharing a bowl of this soup with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays; and to No Croutons Required October challenge to create either a soup or salad incorporating Squashes. NCR is alternately hosted between Lisa or Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes, who is this months host.
Butternut Squash and Black Bean Soup with Pickled Jalapeño
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 large butternut squash
2 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced
1 large carrot, grated
2 celery stalks, sliced
1 tablespoons cumin seeds, toasted and ground
1½ pints vegetable stock
1 x 400g tinned black beans, drained and rinsed 
2 tablespoons pickled Jalapeño peppers, minced plus extra for garnish
Salt to taste
Method
Cut the squash in half, scrape out the seeds and chop into cubes.  Coat with a tablespoon of oil and roast int he oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until it is soft.  Set aside.
In a wide pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil, add the onions and a pinch of salt and saute over medium heat, stirring often until the onions begin to soften.  Then stir in the carrots, celery and cook until all the vegetables are tender.  Add the cumin, roasted squash, the black beans and the vegetable stock and simmer for a few minutes.  Then turn of the heat and allow to cool. Then puree the soup along with the minced Jalapeño peppers until it is smooth.  Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.  Reheat gently.  Serve the soup hot, garnished with additional pickled Jalapeño peppers if you so wish. 

32 comments:

  1. That sounds like a soup that I would really enjoy! Maybe my Cherokee Trail of Tears (black) beans are destined to go out in a blaze of glory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mark,
    I actually think you really would and yes, your Cherokee Trail of Tears would be perfect for this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen, thank you for visiting my blog, without your visit I may not have found your wonderful blog with all these lovely recipes. I love the sound of this soup. Soup is one of my favourite things and I am always looking for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't made any Autumn soup as yet, but I always make it regularly from whatever is left over in the fridge, and it always goes down well. This one looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This just sounds amazing. I love butternut squash and beans together. It has been rather gloomy here lately so I am in need of soup!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely flavorful soup.. Yummy !!
    Thanx for leaving the sweet comment at my space :-))
    You have a wonderful space ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for repaying the compliment Lady Chutney.


    Thanks Cathy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Meg Smith.
    I'm sorry to read that its been rather gloomy where you are too.


    Thanks Julie esp for repaying the compliemt by coming by my blog too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ciao Shaheen! E' un piacere conoscerti. Complimenti per il tuo blog e grazie della visita.
    Anche io mangio verdura e frutta e adoro le zuppe. Sono un'animalista convinta. A presto.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you gumboot goddess. Its good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh, what a fabulous looking soup, with all of my favourite things in it! It's been nothing but rain since I got back to the UK, so I'm itching for a break in the clouds so I can harvest some pumpkins - I'll be making this when I do!
    Hope you're well, dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely think this soup would make me feel warm and happy inside too. ;-) It looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for making a stop at my site and your veggie site is most interesting. Now that it's FINALLY cooling off here, I'm ready for some good soup recipes and this one sounds delish! (And here I am doing a happy dance because it finally rained and there are actual puddles.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Shaheen, Also wanted to tell you i am amazed at how consistently you post so many recipes with such amazing photos. Thank you kindly for dropping by my space.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much littleblackfox.
    I hope you get a break in the weather so that you can harvest your pumpkins.

    I will be coming over to check out some of your holiday snaps dear friendx


    Thank you so much Deb.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so, so much Janet.
    For coming by and repaying the compliment and for your lovely words. Your comment made me smile, with it raining non stop here, but not where you are :)


    Thank you so much La @ FoodSlice for your lovely comment and for coming by my space.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! A friend of mine gave me a
    Chinese pumpkin and black bean recipe that this has reminded me I must try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Dying to try this with the pickled jalapeno peppers, it sounds wonderful and yes, just right for the season!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you Anne.
    It really was a tasty soup, just finished off the last bowl, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is another of your recipes that I must try. It looks delicious (even in it's earthy color) and I'll be sure to include the jalapenos on top (I have made about 20 jars of pickled jalapenos and my plants are still producing!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Glo.
    Oh so jealous of your jars of pickled jalapenos.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful recipe! With all these squashes around you can never have too many of them :)

    I wonder whether it would retain its orange colour if one would use other beans (canellini or the like?? Got to try it out...)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the addition of black beans in the butternut squash soup, Shaheen. It is fall here, too, and I know now what I am going to do with the butternut squash I bought at the farmers market.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks Torwen - You can find squashes in the U.K all year round, but pumpkins - nah - as soon as Halloween passes by, they are gone in a jifffy. Unless of course you grow you own.

    I'd say try it with canellini beans, I think its more likely to stay orange than go earthy coloured.


    Thank you Barbara.
    You can't go wrong with good soup.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I cannot believe I didn't comment on this soup sooner. It is so appealing. Thanks for entering it Shaheen :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the addition of the jalapenos, it sounds perfect for a grey day :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Just found this lovely looking soup, it would be perfect for our current theme 'Suitable for Vegetarians', we'd love it if you could enter?

    We're looking for Britain's best vegetarian soup recipe, with seasonable vegetables that'll be at their best when the soup comes out in September. If you'd like to enter, here's the link you need :http://bit.ly/zlQxA0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION. I have submitted this recipe. I am so pleased you like it, butternut squash is one of my favourite autumnal veg for soup and spiced up, even better.

      Just found this lovely looking soup, it would be perfect for our current theme 'Suitable for Vegetarians', we'd love it if you could enter? We're looking for Britain's best vegetarian soup recipe, with seasonable vegetables that'll be at their best when the soup comes out in September. If you'd like to enter, here's the link you need :http://bit.ly/zlQxA0 on Squash and Black Bean Soup with Jalapeño

      Delete



  28. New Covent Garden Soup Co20 March 2012 15:52

    Just found this lovely looking soup, it would be perfect for our current theme 'Suitable for Vegetarians', we'd love it if you could enter?

    We're looking for Britain's best vegetarian soup recipe, with seasonable vegetables that'll be at their best when the soup comes out in September. If you'd like to enter, here's the link you need :http://bit.ly/zlQxA0
    ReplyDelete

    Replies






    Shaheen20 March 2012 18:28

    THANK YOU FOR THE INVITATION. I have submitted this recipe. I am so pleased you like it, butternut squash is one of my favourite autumnal veg for soup and spiced up, even better.

    Just found this lovely looking soup, it would be perfect for our current theme 'Suitable for Vegetarians', we'd love it if you could enter? We're looking for Britain's best vegetarian soup recipe, with seasonable vegetables that'll be at their best when the soup comes out in September. If you'd like to enter, here's the link you need :http://bit.ly/zlQxA0 on Squash and Black Bean Soup with Jalapeño

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You