Tuesday, 11 October 2011

Sea Salt and Chocolate Muffins

When I received the bars of dark chocolate from Lucy from New Zealand, I knew exactly I wanted to make with one of them.  Either some 'Chocolate and Red Chilli Flaked Cupcakes'; or 'Chocolate and Red Chilli Brownies', but no after being seduced by Pia K's Swedish bar of chocolate laced with liquorice and sea salt, D suggested some 'Sea Salty Chocolaty Muffins'.
It got me thinking how hard can it be?   All I need is a good chocolate muffin recipe.  It only needs to be enhanced with a little sea salt. 
I have to admit that at first glance I was a little disappointed,  as the muffin top had sunk a little.  (I think I opened the oven a few minutes to early).  But actually it was the best part.  The top was like a chocolate cookie, and when you finished eating that, the next part that was encased in the muffin case was soft like fluffy chocolate candy floss, it just melted in your mouth.  Its like two cakes in one.  The flakes of sea salt is a nice, surprising you now and again - its not overly strong, but you know its definitely there.  
You know when you were small and you finished eating a fairy cake or Jamaican Gingerbread Cake, yet you still find yourself scraping off the excess cakey mixture stuck to the paper cases with your teeth, well you'll find yourself doing that to these, (please don't tell me your not guilty of doing this, because I won't believe you). 

I have to thank Pia K for accidentally inspiring me to make these tasty morsel; and to Lucy for the dark chocolate bars.   If you like the sound of these, come back tomorrow for something a little more different.  I am sharing some of these muffins with Tasty Tuesday hosted by Balancing Beauty and Bedlam; and Crazy Sweet Tuesday hosted by Crazy for Crust.
These are best shared and eaten on the day, as the longer you keep them the sea salt dissolves.
Chocolate and Sea Salt Muffins
Makes 12
140g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine salt
2 eggs
200g golden caster sugar
160g milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
160g unsalted butter, melted
120g dark chocolate roughly chopped
1 tablespoon sea salt (plus extra for garnishing)
Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined.  Then gently stir in the milk and vanilla extract until well combined.  Gradually blend the two mixtures together, alternating now and again until the ingredients are well combined.  Then stir in the melted butter, followed by the chocolate and sea salt.
Spoon the mixture into muffin cases and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.  Leave the muffins to cook before removing out onto a wire cooling rack.   


  1. I was never a chocolate fan, but then I hit my forties and now love it! Chocolate with salt or chilies rock my world so I can't wait to try this. I am getting pretty good at converting metric to English so this should be pretty easy ;)! xx

  2. Sea salt and dark chocolate is a lovely combination, the salt really gives a kick to the chocolate! I can easily make these gluten-free!

  3. I guess we were both in a chocolatey mood today! These look...luscious!

  4. Hola!!! me gusta tu blog tienes recetas muy lindas

  5. Hi Tracey.
    I'm still not a huge chocolate fan, I just have to be in the mood for it. But my husband is big on choc! Good to read that your liking it now. My taste has changed over the years too.

    Thank you so, so much much Vicky.
    I'm so pleased you can easily make these gluten-free. I do hope you enjoy!

  6. My wife Jane made some chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes the other day. A surprising but very pleasurable combination, which you would probably enjoy.

  7. Thanks Lauren.
    I'd like to say its me - but the truth is, its my husband with the chocolate love :)

    Thank you Gaby

  8. Thanks Mark.
    I have to say, does sound lovely - I will keep in mind the combo, as i know my husband will get excited as soon as I tell him. He likes peanut butter cookies, so chocolate and peanut butter together will excite him moreso.

  9. Yum, these sound so good! I love the look of the tops, so pretty. Thanks for sharing on Crazy Sweet Tuesday!

  10. I'm so pleased you made a comment on my blog Shaheen! I love the recipes here! I've joined your site and am so looking forward to reading all your new posts as well as the ones already here!

  11. Just stumbled across your blog whilst eating a square (or two) of salted dark chocolate (strange coincidence)...& will need to revisit as the food looks great!

  12. Oh my goodness me. Amazing! Do you have Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with sea salt where you are? It's one of my favourite chocolate types and these look like it in muffin form!

  13. those sound absolutely gorgeous. I'm so pleased the chocolate arrived safely and it's great to see you put it to such good use :)

  14. This looks divine! Anything with chocolate can't go wrong :)

  15. Thank you Dorothy.
    I've enjoyed being part of Crazy Sweet Tuesday. Thank you for hosting.

    Thank you so, so much Vicky.
    I'm always delighted to stumble upon and hear from new bloggers and always so pleased to read that they like my recipes so much so that they choose to become a follower,so I have to say Thank you so much.

    Thanks Thrifty Household.
    How funny that you were actually eating some salted dark chocolate (yes strange coincidence)!

  16. Thank you Kari.
    I don't think I've seen Lindt Excellence dark chocolate with sea salt! but to be truthful I have not been looking. Iwill check out the choc aisle the next tiem I am in the supermarket. I know Lindt is sold here.

    Thank you so much Lucy aka The KitchenMaid.
    There will be many more chocolate delights to be featured with you wonder chocolate bars!

    Thank you so much Ambreen.
    True - especially if your a chocolate fan :)

  17. I tried vanilla salt at the weekend and frankly didn't like it. But these sound good.

  18. These look lovely shaheen :) I love things that are salty and sweet! yummy!

  19. Hi MorningAJ.
    - vanilla salt...mmmm...not sure - I would have to try it. I think these may surprise you though.

    Thanks Sooz.

  20. MMMMMMM,...I have made these tasty & lovely looking muffins! They were a real delight!

  21. goodness me, they sound a delight! and i'm glad to be an accidental inspirer:)

  22. Pia K - Thanks
    You always inspire x


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You