Thursday, 13 October 2011

Tofu Hijiki Saute Over Rice

After opening the packet of dried hijiki for the Welsh Laverbread Pie pastry casing, I wanted to use the hijiki in its own as an ingredient in its own right, rather than just an addition to miso soup.

Hijiki is a mild, earthy flavored seaweed.  You can find packets at Chinese supermarkets.  At first the hijiki seaweed looks like dried tea strands, but when soaked and reconstituted it swells to about 4 times its original weight.  Like all seaweed, hijiki must be rinsed thoroughly before being added to the dish you are making .  
When served up, it certainly made for a dramatic plate: the jet green samphire-like seaweed next to the orange matchsticks and sesame-soy burnished tofu. 

Hijiki is certainly an acquired taste too  - having umami flavours - I wasn't bowled over by it, but neither did I dislike it.  This dish was just okay and made a pleasant change to my normally spiced up diet.
Tofu Hijiki Saute Served Over Rice
Serves 2
Ingredients
Cook enough white or brown rice for 2, keep warm
25g dried hijiki seaweed
1 tablespoon sesame oil
200g extra firm tofu
1 onion, finely sliced
1 medium carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce to taste
1 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Method 
Rinse and drain hijiki to remove any grit.  Then place the hijiki in a bowl with warm water to cover and let soak for 20 minutes.
While hijiki is soaking, drain and drain the tofu. Slice the tofu into even sized cubes excess water.
In a large pan, heat the sesame oil.  Add the tofu and saute on medium heat, stirring frequently until browned.  Remove the tofu and set aside.
To the same pan, add the onions and cook until soft, then add in the carrots and cook for 4 minutes. 
Drain hijiki and add it to the pan, along with the tofu, the Tamar iand heat thoroughly.  Then stir in the sesame seeds.  Serve immediately with the rice.  Adapted from Moosewood Restaurant Simple Suppers.

5 comments:

  1. YUM! I'm inspired...this is a new spin on tofu for me, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ajax, I'm glad you like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, sounds an interesting mix - a bit like your salt or pepper choclate muffins in an earlier post ...I love the combinations you come up with! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this tofu, carrot and seaweed combination - I am not sure I ever rinse my seaweed - never have heard that you should rinse it - though I have never found hijiki but use a similar skinny seaweed - but I did see these ingredients in a burger lately that looked great

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You