Saturday, 15 October 2011

Spiced Apple and Nut Cake

I do hope you like this cake. 

Its simple in its ingredients: apples, Brazil nuts and some mixed spice.
Also its not particularly sweet, as the sweetness comes from the apples.  Its moist, a bit semolina like, but in a very good way.  I like how the apples and nuts gleam through like citrine yellow gems.  You can make easily this cake in a 1 lb loaf tin. However, I decided to make it in a Bundt tin of sorts, (not sure its proper name) only because D asked me whether I had ever used this baking tin? The truthful answer was No, never - so to amend that I decided to use in honour of Hannah's virtual Birthday party.  I think it looks good with is molten gold slopes.
Hannah at Home Baked has invited her readers to bake her a cake for her Birthday.   I would have happily made her a chocolate cake; or one that was iced, but as you can appreciate I have pretty much overdosed on chocolate this week, so the humble of British ingredients apples it had to be.  I do so hope she likes it.

Spiced Apple and Nut Cake
Serves 8 - 10
Ingredients
175g unsalted butter, at room temperature
140g soft light brown sugar
2 eggs
140g plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon mixed spice
100g Brazil nuts, chopped

2 eating apples, peeled, cored and roughly chopped
Method
Cream together the butter and sugar light and fluffy.
Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well and scraping any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. 
Sift together the flour, baking powder and mixed spice in a separate bowl, then beat into the butter mixture. Stir in the nuts and apples into the mixture until evenly dispersed.

Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3.
Pour the mixture into a greased 23x13cm loaf tin and smooth over with a palette knife. Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until brown and the sponge feels firm to the touch, or  until skewer inserted into the centre should come out clean. Leave the cake to cook slightly in the tin before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.

27 comments:

  1. This looks delicious,thanks for sharing it, Shaheen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, look and sound delicious!! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shaheen! Wow I've missed out on reading a lot of recipes!!! The cake looks lovely, I especially like the third picture, it looks like a pot of earth (an edible one) from which something (like an apple tree, maybe?) would sprout! It looks so... earthly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    Yeah, I've come on over to your blog a couple of times this week and nout. So its good to hear from you. I love your description of the third picture. Your so imaginative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a pretty little cake, I love a sweet cake baked with apples;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous shape to a beautiful sounding cake! So elegant, and just the thing for the bag of apples in our fridge! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Patty.
    Its so good to hear from you.



    Thanks Astra.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, this looks delicious! Will try your recipe. Many thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This cake sounds so yummie...To add Brazil nuts is a nice change to the more common use of walnuts. Love this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Galina.


    Thank you so much Torwen.
    I agree it was a nice change. Still have lots of it. Due to be travelling to Wales again, so it will be good for the journey down.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wish you had a simple email subscription box on your blog. Something like the Feedburner one. I'd love to subscribe as you've got a great blog, but I prefer to sub by email only. The 'subscribe via email' button at the bottom of this box will only sub me to the email used for my Google ID which I never use. I also wonder if it only subs to the comments and not your blog posts?

    ReplyDelete
  12. lovely spiced apple cake..looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for your lovely commment OrganisedPauper.
    If you look in the sidebar, just below the 'browse for A2K recipes' there is a box. I hope is what you were referring too :)
    Once again, thank you so much, your comment means a lot to me.


    Thank you Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, no afraid it's not what I was looking for. There's a search box and also a subscribe box, but no facility to subscribe via email via that subscribe box.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Organised Pauper.
    I'm trying to check out my blogger gadget page to see if there is an email option there that I can add here, but the page seems to be down, so I can't check. I will see what I can do. Please do stay in touch, kind wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your help. Much obliged.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi OrganisedPauper.
    The Blogger Gadget page is working and they have a 'follow by email' gadget. I have added it to the sidebar, underneath GrowYourOwn Soup Logo. I hope this is correct. Please let me know, if if is not.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay! As far as I can tell it's worked. I won't know with absolute certainty until you produce a new post, but it certainly seems to have worked. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Organised Pauper.
    I usually write a blog post every day, unless of course I am travelling. So hopefully you'll find out for sure later today.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bazil nuts must be wonderful in this recipe with the apples, Shaheen. Perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds amazingly yummy. I'm not the biggest fan of chocolate ever (not that I don't like it!) and I love not having to make a frosting, so I love a fruity cake. I'm so glad apples are finally back in season!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I arrived to your blog coming from another blog (that of Rosetta). I do love it a lot! This apple cake sounds delicious!
    Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks Barbara.


    Thanks Lauren.


    Lovely to make your acquaintance Fabipasticcio.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You