Tuesday, 4 October 2011

Salty and Sweet Potato Muffins

Many sweet vegetable muffins have appeared on my blog such  carrot muffins, courgette muffins and even beetroot muffins,  but never sweet potato ones; and I wonder to myself why not?!
I have to tell you that I found these immensely moreish.  The natural sweetness of the sweet potatoes comes through wonderfully.  The salt is a surprise when it slowly melts in your mouth, like good digestive biscuits; and the jelly burst from the sultanas gives it another kind of sweetness.  Let me forewarn you, although one sweet potato muffin will be enough, you will find yourself tempted to take another.  The second muffin will knock you just over the edge of fullness, but that won't stop the greedy person in you reaching out for second.

I am sharing some of these muffins with  Tea for Two #104 hosted by The Plumed Pen, and Fat Tuesdays hosted by Real Food Forager;
Sweet and Salty Sweet Potato Muffins
Makes 10 – 12 muffins
140g – 150g soft brown sugar
120ml vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
260g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon sea salt
2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and grated
90g sultanas
Preheat oven to gas mark 6.  Line the the muffin tin with muffin cases.
In a small bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, oil, vanilla and eggs.
In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, spices, salt and sweet potatoes.  Make a well in the centre and pour in the wet ingredients.  Stir, gradually incorporating wit with the dry mixture.  Stir in the sultanas.  Spoon the batter into the muffin cases.  These are quite dense muffins, so do fill close to the rim as they will not overspill.  Bake the muffins for 30  - 35 minutes.  These are best served warm.


  1. You are such a good cook, Shaheen! I would very much like to be your niece who lives next door so that I can drop by everyday to eat what you make! Hehe. I LOVE sweet potato by the way. They're not veggies, are they? :P

  2. I love sweet potatoes! You have so many interesting recipe using sweet potatoes. This muffin looks good. Yummy.

  3. Thanks Sumaiyyah.
    :) Good..mmm...not too sure, but okay - yeah.

    Ah you don't need to be a niece, a friend is just good enough and I'd be happy to share as we always have more than we need - that way you get the extra calories too :) And yes, they are vegetables!

    Thanks Malay-Kadazan girl.
    It the start of the sweet potato season in the U.K, though most of it is imported.

  4. You did it again another one that I just HAVE to print out. These sound delicious.

    Sue xx

  5. Stop it Shaheen! You're killing me with the recipe. If these taste only half as good as they appear (and as the ingredients suggest), I'm simply not going to share them with anyone when I make them! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

  6. Oh Sue.
    You know how to make me smile and I am pleased that this recipe tickles your fancy. I really, really liked these muffins.

    Ah Chucky - I am gonna tempt you more!!!
    Hope your well.

  7. Oh goodness - you have now condemned me to another hour in the gym ;) xxx

  8. Thanks Fran - but it will be worth it.

  9. I remember that I told you in spring that I'm vegetarian. Well, actually I'm vegan again, so I can't follow this recipe, but instead I made some vegan muffins yesterday. They were cranberry orange muffins. My dad loved them! I wasn't very impressed, because I liked them better last time I made these. The same recipe, but totally different flavour, isn't it interesting?!

  10. Thanks Lela.
    Yes I do remember.

    Sometimes the quality of the ingredients is different, so that may have effected the taste. Still be pleased, you Dad like them - that is good!

  11. Well, he always likes what I cook, bake. :) I guess the flavour was different, because I din't use freshly squeezed orange juice.

  12. Ah, so you did do something slightly different :)

  13. Oh yeah...and by this you know I'm not on a diet anymore. I just couldn't resist all the yummy food! :)

  14. Oh yum!.., I must try this recipe! I looks and 'sounds', by the written list of yum, healthy ingredients so delicious, just perfect with that freshly brewed cup of tea!

    Thanks for taking part with teatime this week!

    Hugs, Wanda Lee


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You