Thursday, 6 October 2011

Black-Eyed Bean and Vegetable Crumble

As soon as many people hear the word 'crumble' they understandably associate it with the sweet crumble, but here is a savoury crumble made with oats and seeds. 

Beneath this savoury, seedy and oaty crumbly topping you will find black-eyed beans and chunks of vegetables.  The vegetables of course can vary from season to season, but my question to you is 'When do you find yourself really wanting to eat a crumble: sweet or savory?!'  If you are like me, then you answer will be 'when the weather turns dark and you want warmth and comfort'.  Savoury vegetable crumbles are not a new idea, they have been around for yonky years in the Britain.  In fact this recipe is adapted from one of my 1980s second hand skinny cookbooks.  No photographs in it, but plenty of homely grub and illustrations: of people either eating or cooking.

I admit the flavours here are a bit on the tame side, but this way you do appreciate the flavours and bite of the vegetables more.  I liked the topping,  not only  because it was soft and crumbly (obviously), but also crunchy from the seeds.  In the future I hope to spice up this crumble with a little cumin, coriander and chilli, but right now it was good as it was.  I am sharing this rather thrifty recipe with Simple LivesThursday #64 hosted by Gnowfglins.
 
Black eye bean and Vegetable Crumble.
Serves 4 – 6
Ingredients
400g tinned black-eyed beans, drained, rinsed and set aside
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 large leek, sliced
½ swede, peeled and diced
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced
1 teaspoon thyme
300ml vegetable stock
2 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
For the crumble topping
110 g rolled oats
50g plain flour
50g sunflower or pumpkin seeds
¼ teaspoon sea salt
75g butter
Method
Heat the vegetable oil and sauté the onion until soft, then add the garlic, leek, carrots and swede and thyme ad sauté for about 5 minutes.  Then stir in the carrots and pour in the stock , tamari, beans and season to taste. 
Simmer until the vegetables are tender.  Tip into a baking tray.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 6.
Now make the crumble topping.
Now make the crumble topping
Mix the oats, flour, seeds and salt in a bowl and rub in the butter.  Scatter over the beans and vegetable mixture and bake for 30 – 40 minutes.  Serve with gravy.  Adapted from The Wharf Street Vegetarian Cafe Cookbook by Jill Gibbon.

13 comments:

  1. I haven't seen anything like this, but looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had a savory crumble but that is an ingenious idea. It is just like a stew with a wonderful topping. Yummy! I am saving this one for a snowy day :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds delicious! I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea!! I love this. I never would have thought of a savory crumble- now I can't wait to try it (and make my versions) Thank you so much for sharing this- I'm so excited to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a lovely idea. I also like that it could probably be modified down to individual dishes. I sense my partner wouldn't be a fan (sigh) so it may be a meal for one if I manage to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lela.
    It's a very old veggie idea in the U.K.


    Thanks Meg.
    I am glad i have introducted you to this then :)
    It will certainly be good for a snowy day, like it was here yesterday - well is wall hails!


    Thanks Fran.
    I hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Claire.
    I am so delighted to have introduced you to a a savory crumble- its old fashio veggie British food.


    Thanks Kari.
    I'm delighted to read that you like this. It can certaily be made into individual dishes, also I think it should not be too much of a problem halfing th recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks so yum ...lovely combo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do like a savoury crumble, thanks for sharing your delicious recipe with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Nic.
    I think its a dish that needs to be making a comeback!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Firefox seems to solve the comment problem! So once again.
    I have never heard of a savoury crumble, but it was obviously acceptable in the 80s *hehe*
    Love the oat topping and the fact that this is such a versatile recipe, you can probably through together all kind of vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Torwen,
    I am glad you can comment now, but do check out my Tuesdsy post where I asked for help from fellow bloggers.

    I agree this is such a versatile recipe, I will be hoping to make a slightly modern version than the 1980s one. It was still appreciated though.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You