Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Black Pepper and Chocolate Muffins

Although I like her glossy red cape and can imagine me wearing it during the autumnal season, I do not see myself as the mysterious character played by Juliette Binoche in Chocolat where she opens up a chocolatier in a sleepy french village. Her edible chocolate creations evoke warm emotions and aphrodisiac qualities in all those who take a bite. Like her character though, I have to say, I have been enjoying playing in my little kitchen with chocolate and two every day ingredients: salt and pepper.

Its such a shame that we in the West tend to use salt and pepper as a condiment, as both can be seen as a ingredient in their own rights. Something I discovered when I first tried a recipe for Malay Black Pepper Tofu; and now in these Chocolate Muffins.

These may look the same as the Sea Salt and Chocolate Muffins, but I assure you these are very different in flavour. 

You see beneath its molten brown cookie like tops, these muffins have warmly embraced a dark spice. You won't see it as its well disguised, but when it explodes in your mouth - you will immediately recognise its fiery warmth coming from freshly cracked black pepper. It dances on your tongue for a while than disappears under the sweetness of the chocolate.  I personally preferred these much more than I did the salty variation.
If you do wish to make this recipe, please please do not substitute the freshly ground black pepper for already ground one, it won't have the same heat. And I shouldn't be saying this, but if you don't want to make a dozen black pepper and chocolate muffins; or sea salt and chocolate muffins. Why not half this chocolate muffin mixture and add 1 heap teaspoon of sea salt to one bowl and about ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper to the other - that way you get a taste of each!    I am sharing this with Lady Behind the Curtain  Cast Party Wednesday#18; and Lets Do Brunch hosted by The 21st Century Housewife.
Chocolate and Freshly ground Black Pepper
Makes 12
Ingredients
140g plain flour
40g cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine salt
2 eggs
200g golden caster sugar
160g milk
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
160g unsalted butter, melted
120g dark chocolate roughly chopped
1 - 1½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (plus extra for garnishing)
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 3.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until well combined. Then gently stir in the milk and vanilla extract until well combined. Gradually blend the two mixtures together, alternating now and again until the ingredients are well combined. Then stir in the melted butter, followed by the chocolate and freshly ground black pepper.
Spoon the mixture into muffin cases. 

Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave the muffins to cook before removing out onto a wire cooling rack.  

16 comments:

  1. I love the film "Chocolat". I've also read the book. Both very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good! There used to be a company that made white chocolate with lemon and black pepper bars, but they sadly went bust. Never tried black pepper with dark chocolate though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very intrigued by this recipe and can't wait to give it a try! Just stopping by from Lady behind the Curtain Link up.
    -Robyn from http://tipsfromtheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look delicious and the flavor combo has me intrigued. I never would have thought of putting pepper in muffins before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the film too. The muffins look awesome, I'm sure chocolate and black pepper make a great combination :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Hanna.
    I have to admit, the chocolate bars you describe sound lovely. I'm keeping the combo in mind, maybe oneday i'll create it a muffin with similar flavours at home :)
    12 October 2011 12:33


    Thanks for coming by Robyn. Its lovely to make your acquaintance. I will be certain to drop by your blog too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you BreAna.
    These Flavours do really work.


    Thanks vegandivision.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi, doll! I was wondering if you wanted to do another recipe for me as a guest post and it's in honor of me being vegan :) any great vegan recipes you love to make? I'd love it soooo much. You did such an amazing job last time.

    email me! mylittlepollay@aim.com

    love, polly :D:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, you are tempting me this week! I'm definitely adopting the suggestion of half salt and half pepper. If only I hadn't made chocolate muffins last week these would quite possibly be happening tonight. As it is I'll wait, but probably not for long :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kari OOoh I'm sorry.
    But I dohope you enjoy them when you get round to making them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Polly, Good to hear from you.
    Congratulations on your transition to going vegan. I'll e mail you in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! This is the first time that I've ever seen black pepper in a sweet recipe! I love heat in food and love the idea of black pepper and chocolate. I will definitely need to experiment with these two ingredients... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Hazel.
    Well worth experimenting for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic flavour combination - I can't wait to try these wonderfully grown up muffins! Thank you for sharing them with Let's Do Brunch.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It was my pleasure April.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You