Sunday, 16 October 2011

Chilli Spiked Roasted Pumpkin Soup

The sun came out today - hip hip hooray, and we went for a drive to Troon in the West of Scotland and walked along the murky seaweed laden beach.  But that didn't bother us at all, it was just so nice to have stepped out of the flat and get some fresh salty air in our lungs.
When we got back home, I made a simple Roast Pumpkin Soup spiked with a little red chilli for warmth and heat. 
This is one of the most ridiculously easiest of soup recipes I have in my reportoire. I usually make it with butternut squash, but I picked up a small culinary pumpkin a few days ago and tried it with that. If you do decide to make this, make sure you have good ingredients, you don't want to make this soup with a tasteless pumpkin because all you will end up with is a insipid watery soup.

I am sharing a bowl of this soup with Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for this week’s Souper (Soup, Salad and Sammies) Sundays which celebrates it 3 years Blogiversary this week; as well as Savoury Sunday hosted by The Sweet DetailsThe Penny Worthy Project hosted by Hey What's for Dinner Mom and finally as requested by Deelicious Sweets to Pumpkin Blog Hop.
Simply peel and chop a medium pumpkin into small cubes.  Toss it with a little olive oil and bake in the oven at Gas mark 5.  Roast for about 45 minutes or until soft and tender.  Then tip it all into a food processor; or food blender, along with some vegetable stock, about 1 pint to 1½ pint and add some salt and red chilli flakes to taste.  Blend to a puree.  Return to the pot and reheat.  


  1. Mmmm...I love pumpkin soup. This reminds me that I should dice up another pumpkin to make soup.

  2. Thanks Lela.
    I do too, so am going to make the most of the pumpkin season.

  3. I don't think I've ever had pumpkin soup? It sounds good! :-)

    God bless and have a wonderful week! :-)

  4. Thank you Ron. You should try it.

  5. Sometimes the simplest things are best - but as you say, you can't make a good pumpkin soup without a good pumpkin to start with. Being a non-vegetarian, I like my pumpkin soup made with chicken stock. :)

  6. I will be preparing this dish this week! I have a ton of pumpkins and cool weather headed my way - I'm all set! Thank you! xx

  7. this looks lovely Shaheen, and I'm sure you enjoyed it after your day out. It's starting to warm up here, and soup will have to wait for a little while.

  8. You've reminded me how much I like roasted squash soups...I now know what I'm making tomorrow- Thank you!

  9. Glad you got some sunshine! I'd have taken your weak sun over our 36'C heat yesterday - definitely too hot for that soup, but I'll look forward to more pumpkin varieties next winter :)

  10. Such a perfect warming fall soup. Love the garnish too. ;-) Thanks for sharing it with Souper Sundays.

  11. Thanks Mark.
    It has to be with good ingredients, definately. And I understand your use of chicken stock in the soup, but I'd encourage you have a go with vegetable stock and allow the natural flavours of the vegetables to come though :)

    Thank you Tracey.
    I hope you like it, you know you can jazz it up further with fresh herbs if you so wish. I am particulary partial to coriander aka cilantro.

    Thanks Duchess_declutter.
    Well guess what, woke up early hours in the morning to the sounds of rain smashing the glass window panes - yes it has returned with a vengeance :(

  12. Thank you Thrifty Household.
    Enjoy your roasted squash soups tomorrow

    Thanks Kari.
    Me too, but sadly not today - the rain has come back with a vengeance! Hey I'd have been happy to swap weather conditions :) Its been damn miserable here the past few months.

    Thanks Deb.
    Yeah the little pumpkin garnish makes it more appealing I think, otherwise its a tad plain looking. Thank you for hosting.

  13. Sounds like an ideal day and a perfect soup to finish it up. Great for this time of the UK anyway, here in India we will still try it anyway as pumpkin is easily available. Thanks for another great recipe.

  14. Thanks Adam and Theresa.
    I do hope you like.

  15. One of my favourite things in the world is a nice pumpkin soup - particularly with a few curry spices through it. But can I get my soup loving kids to eat it - NO they want anything but pumpkin. I think I will make this anyway though as I'll appreciate it!

  16. Thanks Liz.
    Shame that your kids don't like pumpkin. It took me a while to appreciate it too, as it was not something i grew up eating.

  17. The soup looks great, thanks for sharing :)

  18. That sounds fabulous, and it looks just as good.

  19. BEAUTIFUL soup, just my kind of soup and wonderful photos too!

  20. Looks so comforting! I would take a big bowl of it today as it's cold and rainy here, today. I would love for you to link it up to my pumpkin blog hop!

  21. Thank you so much for the invitation Dee.
    As rquested I have linked up and visited two of the other participants - pumpkin fudge and pumpkin lollipops sound really good to me.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You