Saturday, 1 October 2011

Celery and Tomato Salsa

I am back from my parents, and to get me back into the flow of blogging about food. I have a simple 'Celery and Tomato Salsa' recipe to share with you today.

I've written before about the muted green, long  crunchy celery rarely playing the starring role of a dish. It is often featured as part of a crudite platter or invisible forming part of a soup, stew or sauce base. Here although sharing the limelight with the bedazzling red tomato, it certainly steals the show with its refreshing crunchy lettuce flavour.
I would really like to encourage you to try this. Of course its a salsa, so you will need tortilla chips, but failing that try it with a fluffy jacket potato - its ace!
Celery and Tomato Salsa
Makes a small bowl
2 red tomatoes
4 celery sticks
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 - 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, minced
Chilli pepper to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Chop the tomatoes, discarding any tough parts. Slice the celery sticks thinly*.
Put the tomatoes and celery into a bowl with the lemon juice, chilli powder, coriander, and season to taste. Serve immediately. Adapted from a Rose Elliot recipe.

*I often use a potato peeler and peel a thin layer of the celery. This will remove the fibrous stringy bits that often get stuck between your teeth; or are a little chewy to digest


  1. How I wish we have some tomato to harvest to make this refreshing dish. Welcome back.

  2. Looks delicious! I'll have to try it. Thanks, Kelli.

  3. Wonderful salsa idea...celery is definitely an underused vegetable. I could eat this with tortilla chips or without. The baked potato idea sounds perfect.

  4. Sounds as if it would go well with Chilli con Carne or similar..

  5. Thank you Malay-Kadazan girl.
    The British tomato season has pretty much ended here, i'm just making thoe most of the last ones on the shelves.

    Hello Kelli,
    Lovely to make your acquaintance.
    I do hop eyou try it.

    Thank you Rose.
    Its so lovely to hear from you.
    I do hope you make this, as I really liked it.

    Thanks Mark.
    Yes, I think it would be good with Chilli con Carne, esp. for its cooling effect. By the way, I've tried to leave a couple of comments on your blog earlier, and for some reason - for the first time, I have been unable to post it.
    I will have to try again.

  6. I will definitely try this! It looks wonderful. I love all of the ingredients you've used - so fresh and delicious!

  7. Welcome back Shaheen. I only recently (last few years) discovered the joy of celery. I love it on a sandwich with cheddar. Sounds good in this salsa too. Good tip as I usually have celery in the fridge.

    My favourite thing is driving back to Dundee at this time of year, just past Longforgan and smelling the celery in the air. oh what a beautiful smell.

  8. Thanks Jennifer.
    Its really So lovely to hear from you!

    Thanks Jacqueline.
    You must be back from your holidays too. So I will be over later to check out what I've missed. I will have to try a sarnie with cheddar and celery, i think it will be much nicer than cucumber.

    Thank you so much for sharing about your drive back to Dundee this time of year and the waft of celery.

  9. I love celery and I like the look of your salsa.

  10. I Was wondering where were you this past few days, missing your recipes!

    welcome back


  11. As a salad lover and lover of green celery, this is a perfect post for me! Wonderful photos too.

  12. Thank you Janice.

    Thanks Veronica.
    I tried to leave a message on your blog, but it wasn't published. I've never had a probelm before, so I am unsure what is happening. I will come on over again later and try again.

  13. Thank you Karen.
    If you like this, then you will like my post today as its a Celery Soup!

  14. My husband was just telling me he wanted to make some salsa. And I love that you've used celery, because I have a hard time coming up with different things to make with it before it goes all icky in the fridge.

  15. Thanks Lauren.
    Thsi is def. a dif. kind of salsa, but it really is good. I hope you like.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You