Wednesday, 22 September 2010

Celery and pecan cakes

The savoury kind of cake.

I was curious to try this combination. After all how often does long, green and crunchy celery play the starring role of a dish. It either serves as a base to a stew or as part of a crudite platter. I wanted to give the celery a little more respect and taste it as an vegetable in its own right.

However, when I began to read the recipe and saw that I had to ground a load of good pecan nuts, I began squirming. I’d rather eat the pecan nuts as is; or in a 'pecan and maple cake', but to crush them to dust, just seemed wrong. I did it anyway as I was curious and I would only have wondered about the combination.
As expected the pecan nuttiness flavour came through, however it was not alone. There was a light hint of celery in the background too. The texture was similar to that of a light nut loaf or an old fashion vegetarian nut-burger.

These celery and pecan cakes alone may not excite you, but stuff them in between a bun, with some rocket and smothered in home-made red tomato and celery chutney, these cakes became astounding. The original recipe suggests serving these with mashed potato and a celery and Stilton sauce. I am sure that will be good, but I already have plans on eating some with home-made potato wedges.
Celery and pecan cakes
Makes 8
200g pecans, ground
8 whole pecans
2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 onion, finely processed
½ head of celery, finely processed
200g fresh brown breadcrumbs
200g potatoes, mashed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil in a pan, add onions and celery and sauté gently until cooked. Take of the heat. Mix together the ground pecans, celery mix, breadcrumbs, potatoes and seasoning. Shape into 8 cakes. Use reserved pecans to decorate. Chill in fridge for 30 minutes to firm up. When ready to eat, bake on a lightly greased tray at gas mark 6 for 20 minutes. Adapted from The Stones Cookbook.


  1. I would love to try this ..looks tasty and intresting!

  2. Wow, when I first looked at your picture I thought it was a cookie! As I started reading I realized it was something totally different! Your blog is very interesting and I am going to try some of your recipes.

  3. what a curious combination. Glad it turned out well :o)

  4. Ooooh, now this is creative! It looks sooo good though! Yum!

  5. I did a double take when I saw this title - there are few vegetables I wouldn't eat in a sweet cake but celery is one vegie too far - so I was glad to see it is more like a burger than a sponge cake - I would love to try these with that celery and stilton sauce or even a tomato sauce

  6. Ooooooh,...aaaaaaah,....ooooooh,...They look just georgous!!

    Wonderful food!

  7. Thank you Jagruti.
    I haven't forgotten, I'm still thinking about doing a chutney for your event.

    Thank you Iowa Gardening Woman.
    I know what you mean, it does rather look like a cookie!

    Thanks Nic.
    You can see why I wanted to try it :o)

    Thank you Rylan.

    Thanks Johanna GGG.
    I know the 'cake' is misleading, but you've heard of fish 'cakes' - misleading too.

    Glad to read that you'd like to try them with the celery and stilton sauce. I would've have too, but no stilton in the fridge. So it was Ceylonese runner beans.

    Thank you so much Sophie!

  8. I, too, thought that the photo was of sweet cookies. But the recipe sounds delicious and looks great!

  9. Thank you so much for coming by Michele.
    They do look pretty as a cookie.

  10. Great blog! You have so many great recipes here! I'm going to HAVE to look around!
    Thanks for the visit and the nice comment:)

  11. Very interesting! Will definitely be trying this one, looks great!

  12. Thank you so much Sue for coming by too :D

    Thanks Sarah. Hope you like.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You