Saturday, 25 September 2010

Slow Gin

Making sloe gin is slow and takes time, but it certainly is not laborious. All that is needed on your part is a little patience as the sloes steep in the gin; and who knows it could be ready to drink for the seasonal holidays.
These are the sloe berries I picked last weekend, all 250g of them. Below is what the jar looked like the following day. Such a beautiful deep red-magenta colour. Every time I open the cupboard, I find myself shaking the jar as if I was behind the bar shaking a cocktail mixer, something I have never done in my life.
Sloe Gin
Ingredients
250g sloe berries
115g caster sugar
1/2 litre gin
Method
Prick the tough skin of the sloes all over with a fork and put in a sterilised jar.
Pour in the sugar and the gin, seal tightly and shake well.
Store in a cool, dark cupboard and shake every other day for a week. Then shake once a week. After a few months (the longer the better), strain out the sloes and bottle the sloe gin. Original Recipe can be found here.

10 comments:

  1. So you are making it! Excellent, can't wait to find how it turns out. I did the same thing with my red currants and it was mighty delicious! Beautiful color...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't recommend this recipe enough. I made this last year with sloes from around the farm and by December, it was ready for the Christmas party. It was a HIT and I'm going to make more this year. I wasn't very regimented in my bottle-shaking, and it still turned out okay. =)

    My neighbor saves his strained sloes and pours sherry over them. A very nice, mild, drink for after dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your sloe/slow gin looks lovely, it is a gorgeous colour! If I pick some in time I'm going to make damson vodka this year, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, Brenda, I began the process on Monday as had to pick up a bottle of gin. I wish I had more sloe berries as I would liked to have used the whole bottle. I may infuse the remaining with something else, unless of course I come across some more sloes within the next month.

    Your red currant version sounds rather splendid. I am sure the colour was too.


    Thanks Monica.
    Your recommendation means a lot, its good to know that a fellow blogger has tried and tested the recipe.

    I may enjoy a tipple around Christmas, but i am hoping to leave it longer as the one I tasted from my father in law was left too steep six months I think. Looking forward to this being a HIT with my tastebuds. D will be lucky if he gets a shot of it.

    Thanks for the tip on using the strained sloes. I was thinking about what to do with them.


    Thank you Sooz.
    Do hope you find some where you are. I have a good felling you will :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never realised how easy it was to make sloe gin. Fingers crossed that in six months time it has worked well and is as tasty as your father-in-law's was...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,
    Nor did I. It was only when I made my flavoured odka's I noted that sloe gin was simple too. The hard part for me was locating sloes in season.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made mine last week. Haven't made any for a few years, so it will make a change from rhubarb.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Choclette.
    I'm looking forward to comparing notes. How much sloes were you able to find?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i am going to get some slows today i have still got some six year old slow gin wich is very nice.i tried some of my friends last week it was much better than mine very much like a liquor any ideas

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your comment Jack aka discovers.
    Six year old bottle of gin - wow.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You