Tuesday, 7 September 2010

Courgette, apple and apricot cake

Once upon a time, the only cake I’d eat with fruit or vegetables in it was banana muffins, apple cake or rhubarb crumble. However all that was to change when I started growing my own. I’ve been consuming large amounts of sweet things all made from shredded fruit, vegetables and herbs. I’ve had carrot cakes, carrot biscuits, beetroot and chocolate muffins, plum and almond cake, plum and hazelnut cakes and muffins, pear and hazelnut crumble, orange cake, pumpkin and autumnal squash scones,, ginger cakes, lavender scones, and even a rosemary and parsnip tart. All very good for the taste buds, but not my ever increasing waistline.
Some of you may remember the rather large courgette di nizza that I lifted from the garden a few days ago, I thought about making the courgette brownies or even the moist chocolate courgette cake again, but remembered still having an eating apple from Geilston gardens in the fruit bowl.

So this courgette, apple and apricot cake is what came out of the oven Sunday afternoon. Made not for us, but for a friend who had invited me over for tea.
Courgette, apple and apricot cake
Serves 6.
200g butter
200g caster sugar
2 eggs
150g courgettes, grated and squeezed of excess water
1 medium apple, grated
200g plain flour
a pinch salt
½ tsp baking powder
pinch cinnamon
50g pecans, roughly broken
50g dried apricots, sliced
Preheat oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Butter and line the base of a loaf tin measuring 20cm x 12cm x 9cm deep or a 7 inch round cake tin. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat the eggs and mix them in, one at a time, making sure each is fully incorporated before adding the next. Coarsely grate the courgettes and the apple. Squeeze them with your hands to remove any excess moisture, then add to the mixture. Mix the flour, salt, baking powder and cinnamon, and gently fold into the mixture. Stir in the nuts and fruit. Transfer to the greased tin and bake for about an hour, or until golden and firm to the touch. Allow to cool in the tin before turning out. Adapted from Nigel Slater's Courgette cake


  1. This sounds good - I've just been given a huge courgette and no-one but me likes them as a vegetable!

  2. Looks delicious, and I bet it tastes good too!

  3. Well, it looks really good. How did it taste? Was it moist?

  4. yum!! I'm going to make this this weekend! xo

  5. My, my, you've been blogging up a storm since I last stopped by. This cake looks intriguing, and those courgette skillet cakes have my name written all over them. Thanks for sharing your photos of the Dundee show as well - what some people will do in the name of competition :)


  6. hi! i'm back after my summer holiday and i'm glad follow your blog again :)
    this recipe looks great! i love both apples and apricots!
    have a sweet day,

  7. MangoCheeks, the cake looks perfect and you can come to me for tea anytime if you're likely to bring this along. After more than a week away, we came back to loads of marrows, so I shall be checking out your courgette brownie recipe for sure.

    Ghent was fantastic for vegetarians - I've now posted about it on my blog.

  8. I'm with you on the expanding waistline front - I like how you are sharing it with friends, so that theirs can expand too. An excellent idea :) Looks a lovely cake and a very good use of that courgette. I must try doing a courgette cake, the chocolate one appeals very much.

  9. This is so pretty and looks delicious ;))

  10. Thanks Jane.
    Courgettes in cakes are good. ~Even those who don't like the veg, will be happy to at it in cake!

    Thank you Purple Flowers.
    I was thinking of your recently :D

    Thanks Alessandra.
    I'd liek to say that i did not get to try any as I baked it for a friend, but I did and gosh it was good. Even if I don't say so myself

    Thanks Carla..
    Make sure its cooked well in the middle. I always get nervous about that part.

    Thank you Eggy.
    I know, I have a habit to blog every day. I try and find it a good way to switch off from work :D
    The courgette skillet cakes are interesting for sure.

    Yes I'm quite pleased with some of the Dundee photographs :)

    Hi Justyna.
    It has been a while.
    Hope you've had a good summer holiday. Oh I am sure you have :)

    Thanks Choclette.
    I'd be happy to bring along a cake to yours any-day :D

    Marrows ....have you thought about making Nic of Nipitinthebuds marrow cream. It was delicious.

    So glad to read Ghent was fantastic, I had an incline it would be good for vegetarians, esp as they have Meat Free Mondays. I am coming on over!

    Ah Kath.
    Sorry :)
    I'm glad I am sharing it though. I miss not having my allotment plot, that helped me with 'some exercise' - I used to think who needs to go to the guym: this digging, etc Now it has all changed :( I need to get on that bike.

    Thank you so much Anncoo.
    It is always good to hear from you.

  11. Thanks for sharing this wonderful cake with the rest of us, I for one am enjoying the view but happy that I can't get my hands on it tonight! Feeling the effects of too much indulging this summer, oh well good thing I like veggies:)

  12. Thank you Patty.
    Glad to read your enjoying the view. Yes we have all been over indulging - need to learn to cut down :D

  13. I love fruit and veg in cakes - this one looks delicious - it is quite some time since I have baked with zucchini - must do it soon - wish I could make something looks as impressive as this one

  14. Johanna,
    I was lucky to get a taste and it was rather nice.

  15. MMMMM,..this cake looks fabulous!! So appetizing,...yum!

  16. What a delicious looking cake. I love fruit and vegetable based baked goods so this is very appealing. With an apples and zucchini in the fridge, I am going to bake one of these this weekend. Thanks for the inspiration.

  17. Thank you so much Martha.
    Lovely to make your acquaintance.
    I hope you enjoy the cake, please do let me know how it turns out for you:D


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You