Monday, 6 September 2010

sautéed kale with rice

This sautéed kale and rice dish was made in a ready steady cook mode, when I got home from work feeling a little tired to cook something a bit more thoughtful. So this dish was compiled with what I had left lingering at the bottom of the fridge.
In a wide pan, I warmed some olive oil, then I added some sliced garlic and the shredded curly kale (stalks removed). I continued to sautée the kale until it was tender and then seasoned it with salt and pepper to taste. I also found some broad beans. I have no idea how long they have been there, but added them to the pan too. Then I stirred the kale and broad beans to some cooked Basmati rice. As it was a little dry, I served it with some home-made piccalilli. Its not the best meal ever, but it fed us well.


  1. It looks like a very good Ready Steady Cook meal and that piccalilli looks absolutely delicious.

  2. I stopped eating kale..thanks for reminding me again..kale rice recipe innovative!

  3. Thank you Kath.
    If I had excess vegetables as I did last year, I'd make the piccalilli again. It was good, but chunky!

    Thank you Jagruti.
    It is so good to hear from you.

  4. I like simple dishes like this one. I'm making sauted kale for dinner. :)

  5. Oh, this looks wonderful! I love how you managed to shape it, too. I'm always far too lazy to do that. ;)

  6. This rice looks good, but it's the piccalilli that's making me drool. That's my kind of food. And very happy that kale is coming into season again - one of my favorite foods!

  7. mmm I had kale for dinner also today..did almost exactly what you did but I added a little veggie stock to mine. I love when you can keep dishes so simple but they still turn out amazing.

  8. Good enough for me! I feel that I need dark green leaf vegs, regularly... maybe because of iron? Or because I am Italian and thus I am used to eat lots of dark green veggies? don't know, but every now and then I just need a plate with kale, or spinach, or cavolo nero, or nettles, or cress, or cooked wild green herbs... either with pasta, bread or rice. Those simple meals may not be my most memorable ones either, but my body says thank you every single time!!!!

  9. Kale is one of those vegetables that I love but never really know what to do with. This looks delicious and I've never had piccalilli so I really ought to find a nice one soon.

  10. you're so good MC rustling up such a healthy quick dinnner. I had the same feeling as you when I got in from work and we've just finished chips, egg and beans! Oh well, we don't have it that often and I had home made soup at lunchtime :o)

  11. Thank you Kateri.
    I am so pleased you like this simple dish. Hope your sauted kale was tasty too. :)

    Thank you Mo.
    I only ever shape it for the blog or for guests, never for myself.

    Thanks Monica.
    Mmm your liking the piccalilli - it was so sharp.

    I love getting kale direct from the producers if possible as the supermarket ones are always shredded - why?!

    Thank you so much Jacklyn :D I have a big grin on my face.
    Homely cooks think alike, I like the addition of your stock.

    Thanks Alessandra.
    For your lovely, honest and amusing comment. You need to move on over to the U.K then, as dark green leafy veg are just coming into season!

    Hi there Alice.
    Thank you so much for your comment. I have to be honest and admit, when I first started growing kale, I was stuck for ideas on how to eat it, but that is no longer the case. I feel much more confident with it now and would encourage you to try it simple, then expand your reportoire with stews an so on.

    As a person who comes froma South Asian family piccalilli never featured in my diet until recent times.

    Thanks Nic.
    It doesn't always happen, there are days when I am just like you and a plate of chips, egg and beans will do nicely Thank you very much! I was kinda kicked into action to rustle up something, because I cannot bare good vegetables going to waste, don't care how long they've been sitting at the bottom of my fridge or in my veg box:o)

    See thats the good thing about you. Unless D goes into the University to work, I don't prepare or make home-made lunches and rely on canteen soup (not good at all).


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You