Monday, 13 September 2010

Savoy Polenta with a Smoky chickpea sauce

Its been raining non-stop today
So this big plate of polenta and smoky chickpea sauce was a warming and comforting dish to sit down to late this evening.
If you don’t like the headiness of smoked paprika, you can just use ordinary paprika.
For the savoy polenta
Serves 4
350g shredded savoy cabbage
350g quick cooking polenta
30g butter optional
To serve, optional freshly grated pecorino or vegan alternative.
Method for the polenta
Bring 2 3/4 pints water to a boil in large pan. Add the cabbage and salt and bring back to the boil. Now pour in the polenta in a slow, steady stream, stirring as you do so. Cook for as long as required – it should be 1 to 5 minutes, then stir in optional butter. Taste and adjust seasoning. As soon as it is done, scrape out into warm serving bowls.
Smoky chickpea sauce
Serves 4 - 6
1 onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons (smoked) paprika
1 sprig of rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2 – x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
1 x 400g tin chickpeas
Salt and pepper to taste
Method for the chickpea sauce
To make the sauce, fry the onion and garlic in oil until tender. Sprinkle over the paprika, add the rosemary and half of the parsley and stir for a few seconds. Now add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 30 – 60 minutes, the thicker the sauce the better. Now mix in the chickpeas and simmer for a further 10 minutes, then turn off. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Reheat when ready to serve. Ladle the sauce over it, and scatter with the last of the parsley. Serve immediately, passing the optional grated cheese around. Slightly adapted from Sophie Grigson's Country Kitchen


  1. I love polenta, and I love chickpeas! What a delicious meal!

  2. Both of those dishes look amazing! So simple but soooo flavorful! Why don't I ever remember to get smoked paprika. Adding it to the grocery list right now....

  3. Looks delicious! I think smoked paprika might be one of my favorite spices.

  4. Oh this sounds wonderful...the cabbage and polenta with...)))) butter and cheese..yummm.

    I have in my kitchen spice cabinet, a smoked paprika flake salt... very addicting on everything from fresh cooked vegetables or fresh sliced I imagine this recipe would be equally as delicious with it's smoked paprika..and with so many tomatoes around (and small cabbages and kale coming on as well) about now, an excellent timely recipe!

  5. Wow this looks so good! I love chickpeas but don't really know of many ways to serve them, other than in stews or soups. The smokey sauce sounds perfect! Next time I need baked beans, I'll be making this instead!

  6. That sounds really gorgeous - so good that I'll try it out tonight ... it's making me hungry already and it's not even midday!
    Love your recipes, thanks for sharing them :-)

  7. That smokey chicpea sauce looks amazing!

  8. Smoked paprika sound good to me! In fact I use it so often... it is one of my favourite ingredients! I also found some Maldon smoked salt flakes which are good for a last sprinkle, but they don't have such an intense smoky flavour as the smoked paprika.

  9. Thank you Morgan.

    Thanks Scrumptious.
    I hope you have smoked paprika in your kitchen cupboards now?!

    Thank you sally.

    Gardeningbren if you think this dish sounds wonderful, I think you are going to like todays dish its the left over cabbag polenta all buttery :)yummm. Since we've come back from Bretagne, France my husband has been enjoying lots of butter.

    I'm intrigued by your smoked paprika flake salt. It does sound addictive. I think I may have a go at making some of my own :D

    Thank you Jacklyn.
    I really enjoy eating chickpeas.
    My blog is full of chickpea recipe, do a search and you may find something else to inspire you :D

    Thank you so much Ferris Jay.
    It is so wonderful to hear from you.
    Thank you to you too :D

    Thanks Vic!

    I use Maldon salt a lot in the house, but have never tried the Maldon smoked salt flakes. Now having read your experience of flavour with it, I think I am going to give it a miss. Thanks for sharing.

  10. I'm so-so on polenta - it's not something I've had often but those chick peas look outstanding. I will DEFINITELY be making them. And I bet they would be awesome with chipotle in them too. Fantastic.

  11. Oh my god! That sounds AMAZING. Seriously this is my dream meal realised.

  12. sounds great, and possibly one for tipping into the slow cooker (the chickpea sauce bit) for dh's late returns home from work. Bought smoked paprika the other day on impulse so this recipe comes at a good time for me. Thanks!

  13. I made some polenta this morning, Mango, for dinner later tonight with black beans. I like how you boiled the cabbage in the water and then added the polenta - almost like colcanna. You are a very creative cook! I have some smoked paprika I've been meaning to use, so now I know what to do with it the next time I make a batch of beans. Thanks for sharing.

  14. Thanks Christine.
    My nephew brought me four packets of polenta from a deli in Wales. I have to make an effort to work through them.

    I think your right, the chickpeas woudl so work with chipotles. Oooh ahhh I am just imaging the smokey flavour.

    Thank you So, so much Thrifty Mrs.
    I am truly humbled that you like so much

    Thank you Lou.
    I used my slow cooker this week, will show you what I made later in the week. But I agree with you, the chickpea sauce could be done and left in the sloow cooker.

    I need to get myself another jar of smoked paprika, mine is nearly all gone, and funnily enough my DH is not so keen on the flavour.

    Barbara GF said...
    I like the sounds of your polenta dish, especially with black beans.

    Your right the savoy cabbage polenta is a bit like colcannan. I honestly had not thought of it that way :D

  15. I just made the smokey chickpea sauce, and it was lovely - I used less smoked paprika as suggested, and it was hot enough for my family.

    I served it with mashed potatoes with spinach and garlic.

    A very easy and tasty meal.Thanks for the inspiration!

  16. Oh VeganFoody.
    I am so happy. Thank you so much for coming back and letting me know. I appreciate the smoked paprika may have been too much for some people. I think next time I too will serve it with mashed potatoes, which my hubby adores.

  17. Your recipes are very easy to follow and the pictures look good enough to eat! I'm new to this site but I'll be recommending your blog to my vegetarian and vegan friends.

  18. This looks wonderful and I need something new to do with my chickpeas so right on time!

  19. Thank you so much for your lovely comment Dim Sum Gardener. Its nice to make your acquaintance.

    Oh Jennifer.
    It it so good to hear from you and I am so pleasewd to learn you like the sound of the chickpeas dish.

  20. What an appetizing & divine looking dish that I want to make tomorrow!! this looks soooooo goooooooooddddd!!!!!

    Thanks for sharing! I also love all of these lovely pictures!

  21. Thank you Sophie. I hope you do make it and enjoy.

  22. I really want to make the smoky chickpea sauce. It looks so tasty! Thank you! Have a lovely weekend.

  23. I like how you added the cabbage to the polenta. This looks really great for fall. Your pictures are making my mouth water!

  24. Thank you Janet.
    Its nice to make your acquaintance.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You