Tuesday, 14 September 2010

Savoy cabbage ‘polenta bites’ in a sage butter sauce

You know I want to say its officially autumn, my favourite season. But like the one week of summer enjoyed in Scotland, I have a feeling some of us living in Scotland may miss out on Autumn completely (okay I am exaggerating), but it does look like we’ve skipped straight into winter. Seriously, the monsoon like conditions have been a feature in Scotland now for the past three years. Instead of seeing soft, golden crisp autumnal leaves slowly being shaken of trees and floating to the ground romantically, you get high gusts of wind shaking the branches vigorously, so when the leaves fall, they just become a slippery nuisance - well that’s how it feels right now.

The past few days in the land of WoS have just seen torrential rain. Its grey when I leave home for work and grey when I get back home. At work I look outside of my off window, wanting to go out at lunch for a walk and some fresh air, but am confined to the building watching the rain spank down on the windows from all direction. It is also starting to get cold and its making me miserable that I just don’t want to get out of my bed in the mornings. Ah sometimes I just wish I had enough money to retire and just become a lady of leisure. Keep dreaming woman.
This recipe for 'polenta bites' came about as I had a huge mound of savoy cabbage polenta left over from my last meal. Just imagine polenta gnocchi in a buttery sauce. If I had been more organised yesterday, I would have poured the remaining savoy polenta into a small baking tin to set, so that the pieces could be cut into more uniform shapes, but no today it was a cold grainy slab. But not too worry, with a little thought it would be warm and on our plates.
Actually I think I like the rustic presentation of these 'polenta bites' and it was rather delicious too.
Savoy cabbage ‘polenta bites’ in a sage butter sauce
See savoy cabbage recipe here.
With the left overs that had hardened and become solid, I just cut them up in roughly even size shapes. I placed them on a lightly oiled baking tin and put them in the oven on a moderate high heat just to warm through for 10 minutes. Whilst the polenta is warming though, I made the sage butter sauce.
For the sage butter sauce
For 2
Ingredients
60g Butter
2 tablespoon Olive oil
2 - 3 Garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
6 - 8 Sage leaves(from the garden), some minced, some kept whole
Salt and pepper
Optional cheese for grating
To make the sage butter sauce, fry the garlic in oil and butter until tender and gold. Add the sage and stir for a minute or so, until fragrant.
Place the polenta bites onto warm serving bowls. Ladle the sage sauce over it evenly. Season with salt and pepper and serve immediately, passing the optional grated cheese around.

18 comments:

  1. Oh my word! This looks fantastic. I love sage, and butter, and cabbage. I can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mama I am so pleased you like this.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so obsessed with your pictures. I love the first one the most. So beautiful. May I ask what kind of camera you are shooting with?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks delicious - I love polenta. I wonder if I could use my swiss chard instead of cabbage?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love sage and butter (or margarine), I often have gnocchi with sage and melted marg.
    These little bites look so delicious, like they would melt in your mouth.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds great. I am definitely going to make this on Friday for my friend coming over and then scoff the rest on Sat. "...the rain spank down on the windows.." - you should be a writer. You have a great turn of phrase and so many recipes waiting to be published. How about finding an agent and going for it? I'd buy your book! Louise

    ReplyDelete
  7. Polenta gnocchi! Sounds great to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much Adventures in Domestic Cooking.


    Wow, Thank you Jacklyn.
    The camera was a belated wedding present from both D and my parents last year. Its a Canon Rebel xsi 450D. We've been real chuffed with the results and our playing with it.


    Thanks Wendy.
    Yes, of course swiss chard woudl be a great in place of cabbage.


    Thank you Rose.
    That is so good to hear.
    Don't tell anyone, but I preferred this more than the savoy polenta X


    Thank you so much Louise.
    I do hope your friends like and that you do have some left overs!

    Was the rain not "spanking on your window sills yesterday?!". You sure made me smile. Thank you so much for your wonderful comment though. I am truly humbled, but for now am really content with blogging.


    Thank you Carissa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like something you'd get in a fine restaurant...in short, it looks gorgeous. I love the idea of the polenta and savoy cabbage together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Rose. It does show sometimes less is more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Justloving your yummy recipes

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love polenta so much it's sometimes hard to make enough to have leftovers! This looks like a must-try recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Lottie. Its good to hear from you.


    Thank you Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely, lovely, lovely food!

    Yummmmmmmmmmm,...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love having leftover polenta - just made some last night but decided to halve it as I didn't have the energy to do anything with leftovers but next time maybe I will try this way of using it

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Johanna,
    I think this is a super way of using up left overs. I felt better for not wasting too.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You