Friday, 3 September 2010

Char grilled courgettes

So there I was minding my own business, and suddenly like a voodoo doll being pricked by a needle I felt an all mighty sting in the back of my right leg. Oooh that’s strange I thought rubbing it gently where the pain penetrated. For a few minutes, I was distracted by D’s ranting and raving at something not working properly.

Then I was again reminded of this sharp pain, when I felt a throbbing in the back of my leg that I just had to investigate it further. I sat down to take a peek at the back of my leg, rubbing it as it twinged. As I sat down, I noted a wasp lying on the carpet, its little scrawny legs up in the air softly kicking and clinging on for dear life. It finally hit me that I had been stung. So like an angry and vengeful child, did I stomp on the insect that harmed me for no reason, no I did not. I lifted it up with the edge of a newspaper and dropped it out from the flat window letting it fend for itself. And as for my sting, ooh its sore… really sore.
I often char grill courgettes this way then lightly cover it with a zingy dressing, the only difference with this and that courgette recipe it that I the courgettes are sliced wafer thin on my mandolin ( a birthday present from D a few years ago). It is such a simple dish to make and one that injects so much flavour into what is really a bland vegetable. I often serve these wafer think courgette strips as an antipasto or stirred through some pasta. In fact last year I griddled large amounts of green and yellow courgettes and put them into a jar topped with olive oil, unfortunately they did not keep well and were promptly discarded. Anyway, this time I decided to cut the courgette into wedges.
For this recipe you will need one of those ridged grill pans for cooking the courgette.
Char grilled courgette wedges with chilli and lemon
Serves 4
4 courgettes, ends trimmed and cut into diagonal slices, about 2cm wide
1 – 2 tablespoon olive oil
1 fresh red chilli, or ½ teaspoon of dried chilli flakes
Juice of ½ lemon
Good handful of mint, minced
Salt and pepper to taste
Toss the courgette wedges into a bowl with olive oil, chilli, salt and pepper.
Heat the grill pan until smoking hot and cook the courgettes in batches, about 3 – 4 minutes on each side.. They should be tender but with a crunch to them in the middle. Don’t be tempted to move the courgette while it is cooking or you won’t get the effective char grill marks. Add back to the bowl along with lemon juice and mint. Taste for seasoning and adjust. Serve at room temperature.


  1. Mmm it really is time to start grilling, especially with Labor Day weekend here! The sound like they have a really fresh taste, with the added lemon juice and mint.
    As for the wasp, we have a lot around our house too. My cat likes to try and catch them and I get so angry at him. I think they like to come out during summer : /

  2. oohhh yum i love courgettes! Well done for popping waspy out of the window and not stomping on him/her.

  3. Sounds like a delicious end of summer dish! Sorry to hear about your wasp sting - feel better soon!

  4. I have no idea what a courgette is but it looks delicious. :)
    Thanks for the comment on my blog!

  5. Those look like zucchini to me. Is that what you are calling "courgettes"??
    You need to teach us these wonderful FRENCH(?) names for things. These look delicious. I must try the recipe soon.

  6. looks appetizing indeed- and the chili is surely going to spice it up!

  7. mmm yum, i love courgettes (zucchini in Australia). Theyre even good on pizza!
    Ive never been stung by a wasp, but I can imagine it would be quite painful. Hope you feel better soon.


  8. This is something I make on a regular basis with all my grilled foods. especially if there is someone who is not a meat eater. Easy and delicious I really enjoyed your tips!

  9. That is a really sweet story. You are kinder than I am....I don't think I would have been as nice. :-))

    p.s. I love cooking with courgettes (a.k.a. zucchinis). They're so easy to use and awesome! If you ever want more ideas for them - just pop me an email.

    Have an awesome weekend!

  10. This sounds and looks delicious. Do you have a recipe for charred aubergines too?

  11. Thank you Jacklyn.
    The wasp are a bit of a nuisanc, but their part of enjoying the sunshine. So you have to accet them...bites and all. Hope your kitty stays away from them though.

    Thanks Scented Sweetpeas.
    Honestly, I don't know how I resisted, but what good would it have done me taking its precious life away, it had done its damage.

    Thanks Intuitive eggplant.
    The wasp bite is itching so bad that I want to scratch it, but have resisted. I'll get over it :(

    Hi Kathy.
    A courgette is a zucchini :)

    Hi farmlady,
    Yes they are alos known as zucchini. Ithink zucchini is Italian, and courgettes is English, but now that you've mentioned it, I actually think the word is french origin.

    Thank you so much Adelina.
    It certainly was very appetizing!

    Thank you Rose.
    I so hope that you are never stung by a wasp, not pleasant at all. Mos tof the day I've been hobbling and resisting scratching the itch.

    So lovely to hear from you natural selection. I am so pleased to learn that this is something you make on a regular basis. I so agree its Easy and delicious!

    Thanks Reese.
    After feeling the resulting pain, I honestly don't know why I did not stomp on the wasp, but I did :-)

    You have a lovely weekend too!

    So lovely to hear from you P. M. Doolan.
    It really is a simple and flavourful dish. I don't have a recipe for charred aubergines, but in the recipe below, I did char grile the aubergines. So I think it will work well.

  12. ouch, poor you. G was stung on the face by a wasp last week and it gor worse as the days went on. He felt really lethargic and fluey and said he felt poisoned so I hope you didn't feel too bad over the weekend.

  13. Oh Thank you Nic.
    I barely mentioned my sting after this post, and it did get worse, as my trip to Dundee was nearly cancelled as I was really hobbling or hopping and the swell had got round my ankles. But much, much better now.

    Sorry to hear about G, in the face too. That is terrible. I hope he is feeing much better now too.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You