Thursday, 2 September 2010

Chard be good

Rainbow chard is vibrant when its fresh... but when picked and left for a couple of days it’s a rather sulky looking plant indeed. This looking even more sorry for itself because its bolted too.
I originally grew rainbow and bright lights chard for its fantastic colours, then later it dawned on me that these were not just for admiring and adorning my growing space, but for eating too. Since then, I’ve made a number of recipes with a variety of chard. Rainbow chard bundles and spiced chard perhaps being my favourites. However, I am always looking for other ways to enjoy it. I’ve seen a number of chard pesto recipes, but as my chard is of many colours I will have to postpone that recipe for another time. I’ve also bookmarked a stew recipe, but as its quite warm at the moment, I settled on a simple Rainbow chard pizza.
One of the first ever recipes I saw using Swiss chard as a pizza topping was by this fellow blogger. Since then there have been many other versions topped with mozzarella, parmesan, goats cheese or just plain naked. I’ve even seen the chard pizza topped with a fry egg, not something I’d recommend. I had pizza on my last day in Benodet, Bretagne, France and I didn’t particularly enjoy it. First I don’t think the cooked egg worked on the pizza, second my pizza base was more than charred, it was burnt.

Anyway, onto my rainbow chard pizza - I do not have exact amounts to give for the ingredients, since I made this in an attempt to use up the bolted rainbow chard picked at the weekend.
Heat olive oil, add sliced onions and garlic and saute until soft, then add in the rainbow (or other) chard. When the chard begins to wilt, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.

I have to be honest and admit to using one of those pizza dough that come out of a tube. It was actually my first time ever using this product, bought for its convenience during a busy working week. I don't think I will bother wit it again, it was very salty. You can use any you like or make your own. Roll out your dough on an oiled pan and season with garlic powder and oregano. Drape the dough elegantly as you can with the wilted chard, then drizzle with olive oil, and top with optional cheese to your taste. Here I have used goats cheese. I was happy to omit this, but D likes his cheese. Cook according to the directions for your pizza dough for 20 minutes.

16 comments:

  1. you still managed to make your wilty chard look attractive in your lovely sunflower jug :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Nic. Its actually an unused teapot. Unused because D broke the lid! Still serves good as a vase now and again :D


    Thank you so much Thrifty Mrs.
    Your comment is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ciao ! Some time ago I had too rainbow chard and posted more recipes on it . They actually look fantasctic !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Natalia.
    This year, my crop has been bolting. At least its still producing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your chard pizza sounds scrumptious, and that photo at the top of your post is a knock-out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's been more bolting that usual this year, probably because of the intense bouts of heat earlier on and irregular watering.
    Chard is a favourite. Very large leaves work well in place of lasagne sheets too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much Eggy.
    That picture was taken last year at my allotment plot.

    So lovely to hear from you Scarlett.
    Interesting to learn that others are encountering similar problems with their chard. I thought it was due to my neglect.

    I like the ide of using large chard leaves in place of lasagne sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic pictures. I love the wilted chard. I've seen it too often in my veggie bin. Pizza sounds like a great way to use it and how can you get any healthier than a veggie pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you Mother Rimmy.
    Yes, I like the way your described this 'a healthy pizza'.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I so much love fresh chard in all colours too!

    Your pizza looks awesome too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab- another handy rainbow chard recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, I had no idea what to do with my chard!

    Pizza and fried egg - very Scottish! The Grosvenor Cafe used to do a deep fried pizza and egg, scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Anon.
    Having now tried it, I actually don't like the combo of pizza and fried egg. I haven't come across anywhere in Scotland that does it either, so this info is new to me.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You