Friday, 12 February 2010

Beetroot and chocolate swirl muffins

Last year at the allotment, I managed to grow golden beetroot and Detroit 2 beetroot, although good they were a bit on the small side. This year, I am hoping to grow a slightly larger variety in my garden plot and see what I get.
Many of you will know that beetroot is not the easiest of vegetables to prepare. It is recommended that you gently wash to remove the soil. As vigorous scrubbing will only damage the skin and cause bleeding and staining of your little mitts. Beetroot is also a versatile vegetable as some of us have come to discover. Other than just being pickled, it can be boiled, steamed, cooked, shredded raw or roasted.
Love it or hate it, beetroot has seen a revival, appearing not only as soups: borsht or main courses: beetroot risotto, but also as a stunning starter such as beetroot hummus and sweet desserts: such as beetroot chocolate cake appearing on menus at various restaurants and in cookbooks. Well, I too made some sweet beetroot chocolate bakes.
Although these look chocolate beetroot muffins look pretty impressive, I know now why you don’t see stand alone beetroot muffins as the natural vivid pink fades on baking. I guess I could have added some beetroot juice or natural food colouring, but that did not occur to me until after. These muffins tasted fine. The shredded beetroot had a pleasant chewiness to it, reminded me a bit of those fizzy strawberry strings I used to eat when I was a child. The reason for this is beetroot contains a high amount of sugar, more than sweet corn apparently. Interesting for a root vegetable that’s has quite an earthy flavour.
I am submitting this recipe into Weekend Herb Blogging#220. WHB is a weekly food blog event that showcases information and recipes about herbs, vegetables, fruits and other plant ingredients. WHB initiated four years ago by Kalyn's Kitchen, it is now organized by Haalo of Cook (Almost) Anything At Least Once. This weeks host is Chris from Mele Cotte.
Beetroot and Chocolate Swirl Muffins
Makes 10
200g self raising flour
225g caster sugar
2 eggs
200ml vegetable oil
250g cooked beetroot, shredded
35g unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Line muffin tray with muffin cases.Sift the flour into a bowl. Add the sugar and mix all of the dry ingredients together. In another bowl, break in the eggs and use a fork to whisk in the measured corn oil. Add the beetroot to the beaten eggs and oil and whisk well. Add the beetroot to the dry ingredients and mix everything together until it is ‘just’ mixed. Divide the mixture into half and in one half, sift in the cocoa powder and stir to combine. Then spoon gently into the other bowl to give a marble effect. Finally, spoon the marbled mixture into the muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the muffins are well risen. Remove the muffins from the tin and put on a wire rack to cool.


  1. These looks really nice. I love the purple color of the batter. Beets are so underused.

  2. These look delicious, and so pretty too :) Just in time for valentines day!

  3. Thanks HayMarket8.
    I wish the purple colour remained in the actual muffins.

    Thanks Michal.

    Thanks Rachana.

  4. oohh yummy, my little boy grew beetroot this year, if only I knew I could make muffins out of them! Maybe we should make Friday 'Muffin Friday' as I just added some muffins to my blog too :-)

  5. Nice! I love beetroot cake, will have to give these a try. If only i could bake..

  6. Thanks Scented Sweetpeas.
    Maybe next time when your boy grows some beetroot you can have a go. I am looking forward to making HFW Beetroot Choc cake one-day, tha tday may not be far.
    Like the idea of Muffin Friday, but I don't think I would be able to commit to it, as my 'muffin mood' can hit anytime, esp when I have some ripening bananas.

    I'll be ove in a little while to check out your muffins. MMMMore MMMMMMufffins.

    Welcome Michael.
    Thank you so much for the comment. You know it is never too late to learn...

  7. These looks absolutely delicious. I've been wanting to experiment more with beets in my baking. A perfect Valentines treat!

  8. Thanks for coming by Lisa.
    Other than not being beetroot pink as expected, they tasted fine.

  9. I have been meaning to make a beetroot chocolate cake for some time now, maybe this year.

  10. I've never baked with beetroot. The combo with chocolate sounds delicious. Something for my 'must try' list!

  11. I love the colour beetroot lends to dishes. And having dropped it down a top on more than one occasion I can see why it was used as a dye in olden times!

  12. They look delicious and this might just be a good way of getting the rest of the family to eat beetroot, there's only me who likes it.

  13. It is a mystery that the beetroot can dull down once it bakes - I made bread with beetroot a couple of years ago and the pink dough made a brown crumb - odd! but I am sure the beetroot added to the colour

  14. How scrumptious!

    Happy V-Day!


  15. Kella,
    Beetroot Choc cake is on my list too. One for this year, for sure.

    Thanks Ks Mumbo Jumbo.

    Cinnamon Girl. I recommend the combo.

    I agree with you Nic. Just a shame it didn't come through in these muffins, but it sure did stain everything it landed on!

    Thanks Jo,
    I think it is a good way of getting the rest of the family to eat. If I get a chance to bake while my nephews are up here, I am hoping to make a beetroot-choc cake and convert them.

    Your so right Johanna.
    Beetroot is a mystery in cooking! It did add a little colour and a lot of flavour for sure.

    Thank you so much Pam.

  16. Love when beets are used in a way I haven't tried! these sound wonderful...Thanks for participating in WHB. Round up tomorrow!

  17. Thank you Chris.
    I always enjoy participating in WHB and seeing new bloggers.

  18. MMMMMMM,...Mangocheeks!! these chocolate & beetroot muffins look so good,...I love beetroot with chocolate!

    A must try, Tomorrow!! I just gave you An AWARD!! Come over @ my latest post & pick it up, please!! You can read why!!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You