Monday, 15 February 2010

Roasted Rosemary Tofu bites

I saw this dish on a fellow bloggers blog a little while ago and thought yum they look really good. I must flick though the pages of that cookbook and create some at home too. These tofu cubes are very similar to the Thai tofu croutons I made last month, but these of course are much healthier. These rosemary tofu bites are crispy on the outside, and soft and lush within. Very, very flavourful I must add. An hour or so later after eating, I could still taste the rosemary flavour. Mmmm very nice. I think these would go well with the leek, rosemary and chickpea soup, especially in place of the chickpeas.
We just had them as nibbles. I stuck some rosemary sprigs in some of them. Now that is stylish food, even if I don't say so myself.
My nephews didn’t know they were coming here to eat in style.
Roasted Rosemary Tofu bites
Serves 4 as nibbles
Ingredients
250g firm tofu
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
Pinch of paprika
Pinch of sea salt
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 5. Chop the tofu into even sized cubes. In a bowl, combine the olive oil, rosemary, paprika and salt and combine well. Add the tofu cubes and gently toss to coat wit the mixture. Transfer the tofu cubes to a baking tray lightly coated with olive oil. Make sure there is space between the tofu pieces. Roast for 20 – 30 minutes, gently turning halfway so that all sides turn roast evenly. Adapted from Vegan Soul Kitchen.

21 comments:

  1. I've never been desperately keen on tofu, but I think I'd enjoy these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look delicious, and have prompted me to try them very soon, after a spin to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been very keen on tofu, so I have avoided cooking with it, but I had my first chinese takeaway for years. I ordered sweet and sour vegetables and tofu and it was lovely! So now my ears perk up when I hear tofu and I am thinking I may have to try cooking with it. What do you think would be a good recipe for a tofu virgin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds yummy, I love the crispy tofu texture, yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks divine! I hope your nephews enjoyed it. I seem to remember reading where you mentioned having a librarian's practised eye...was that you or have I gotten blogs mixed up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks definitely delicious and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea!! I am trying to love tofu & this is a must try!!

    Looks pretty & very tasty too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your nephews must be having the best holiday ever. Peace, Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These little tofu nibbles are mouth-watering, Mango. I wish I had some now to nibble on.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, my, these are so posh, indeed! Rosemary is my very favorite herb, too, so I am especially excited about this gorgeous recipe... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Choclette. I think you would like these and so would your CT :D


    Thank you Alessandra.

    Purple Flowers. I do hope you like them, the rosemary def. enhances the tofu bites.


    Jacqueline.
    It was a long while befroe I came to not mind eating tofu, but it does have to be heavily flavoured.

    I am glad you have found a tofu dish that you actually enjoyed. If I am honest with you, I have to experience my first Chinese takeaway, ever.

    I am not a complete tofu convert, but the two dishes that helped me on the road to appreciating tofu, was a Thai Green curry
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/11/cauliflower-imitating-rice-served-with.html
    and a Mushroom strogonoff recipe where the tofu is marinated in red wine then lightly fried in oil.
    http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2009/01/tofu-and-mushroom-stroganoff.html
    Both recipes are adapted from Nadine Abensurs Fast Food Cranks (I think).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kella the texture of the tofu cooked this way is really good.

    Hello E.
    Thank you. My nephews are having a good time, they are due to go back to Wales late tomorrow evening. They don't always enjoy everything I give them to eat, but they do like to give it a go, and like good boys, do eat up everything given to them. I am proud of them.

    e - You read right about the comment 'having a librarian's practised eye...' but it wasn't me that wrote it. I think it was a comment left by one of my fellow bloggers: Choclette (see above comment and post below). http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/being-kitch.html
    Can I be nosy and ask why? :D


    Thank you Ancoo.


    Sophie,
    I recommend these tofu bites for sure.


    Thanks Stephanie,
    I don't know if my nephews are having the best holiday ever, but they are being fed well, very well in fact :D


    Thank You Jo.


    Barbara I would have been more than delighted to share some of these nibbles with you, but even after making funny faces, the cheeky nephews gobbled them down pretty quick.


    Thank you Astra. The rosemary rules here for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  13. e - I think I know why :D
    Just reminded myself of your blogger profile.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great idea...I've never seen tofu cooked like this...Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry, but what is "gas mark 5"? Does that correspond to a certain temperature?

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You