Thursday, 18 February 2010

Black coffee and walnut muffins

Yesterday afternoon, a bit like a scene from one of those soppy black and white movies, I kissed the nephews goodbye and waved frantically at the moving train. Awww. Then I got home, sulked a little, sorry that they were gone, but then silently pleased as I was getting the sitting room back. You see my flat is quite small and the TV room had temporarily been converted into a guest bedroom (thank goodness for bed settee's). Not just that, we live above a small family and I am always conscious of my own and my guests footsteps on the creaky floor. After all our floor is there ceiling, and my nephews, well lets say they are not exactly light footed. Other than brotherly arguments and the occasional loud music, they were very good. The next time I’ll see them together will probably be in the summer.

With their lack of presence, it also became apparent to me that I was due to go back to work tomorrow, not a thought that filled me with much excitement, but hey its only a couple of days and then it’s the weekend. With the next two working days in mind, I decided to make half a dozen muffins, these were not fruity juicy ones, but ones that would play more of a 'wake me up' and get me through the working day. Yes these were coffee and walnut muffins.
I have to admit, although a little dry, I did appreciate them this morning for my break. The flavour of the coffee really came through and you could just about smell the coffee too. In fact, I had double the dose of caffeine: in these muffins and my mug. Good job it was first thing in the morning, if it was the evening. I don't think I'd be sleeping well.
The recipe for these Coffee muffins is really simple. To a basic muffin recipe for six, I added 2 tablespoons of cold black coffee and about 60g chopped walnuts. Stirred the mixture gently and then spooned it into 6 muffin cases. Bake for 20- 25 minutes, or until risen and firm to the touch.


  1. You can't go wrong with coffee and walnuts.

  2. This sounds like just the sort of thing I need in the morning - thanks for the tip.

  3. Mmm! I love coffee in baked goods. Muffins are such a great on the go snack or breakfast!

  4. how lucky we'd all be to have neighbours as considerate as you and D!
    Nothing like a spot of baking to soothe the heart x x x

  5. These muffins and espresso sound like a fine way to start the day, Mango. Maybe a little bittersweet chocolate added to the mix would really get you hoppin'!

  6. Hmmm, coffee and walnuts . . I can smell them all the way here :)

  7. I could use one of those with my coffee right now! yum!


  8. Just what you need to start you on your day.

  9. I think your right Kath.

    You welcome to one P M Doolan.

    Ungourmet. I agree. I make muffins so often for my working week ahead as a breakfast or to accompany a cuppa at work.

    Thank you Nic.
    The baking had helped.

    Thanks Barbara.
    Next time I will a little bittersweet chocolate, I am sure it really get you hoppin'!
    PS Like the way I posed the muffins, you know where I got that idea from ;D

    Thanks Grapefruit.

    I wish I could pass you one over Rose.

    Thanks Jo :D

    Thank you Scented Sweetpeas.

  10. Coffee and walnut is one of my favourite cakes. Love the idea to make the muffins like that!

  11. Thank you Maninas.
    I am so glad you like these.

  12. These muffins do look truly appetizing!!

  13. Thanks Sophie.
    I'd love one right now to wake me up this Sunday morning!

  14. What a great recipe! Will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the post!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You