Sunday, 21 February 2010

A small portion of Beetroot risotto

The first time I first saw beetroot risotto was in Nadine Abensurs Cranks Bible. Since then, I have seen many beetroot risotto variations. Those topped with various cheeses including dolcelatte, feta, halloumi, blue cheese, even creamed horseradish. Some made with alcohol such as sherry or vodka. There are numerous vegan versions made with tofu and walnuts. If you were willing to think a little more out of the box and be adventurous, there’s even a beetroot, ginger and chocolate risotto. Not for me, I wanted something much simpler.
Then I remembered seeing a pretty plate of baked beetroot risotto on Nics blog. Not all beetroot risotto dishes look this appealing, some just make you want to ‘gag’, and as this was going to be my first time with beetroot risotto, I really wanted it to look good to both the eye and the tongue. I opted for something simpler and decided to make a small portion, just in case it didn’t go down well.
I was pleasantly surprised. The beetroot risotto was both sweet and earthy. D enjoyed his plate of beetroot risotto with the goats cheese. He said I was a little generous with the salad leaves. I think he’s right looking at this picture, but I do think the plate needed it otherwise the beetroot risotto on its own may have looked too ghastly.

Beetroot risotto
Serves 2
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 shallots, peeled and finely chopped
100g Risotto Rice
100 – 150g Beetroot, cooked, peeled and grated
500ml vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: Some beetroot leaves, rocket, watercress or baby spinach
Optional: 60g goats cheese, sliced
Method
Heat oil, add the shallots until soft and translucent. Add the rice and cook, stirring for a couple of minutes. Add a ladleful of the stock to the rice and stir until almost fully absorbed. Continue adding the stock, a ladleful at a time, until the rice becomes tender, then add half of the grated beetroot and continue as before ladling stock until the rice becomes creamy. You may not need all of the stock. Add seasoning to taste. When nearly ready, add the rest of the grated beetroot and stir through. Remove from the heat and serve with some winter salad and optional slice of goats cheese.

24 comments:

  1. I love beet risotto.. such a great dish and a good rendition.. will try it soon!!! You have to love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beetroot risotto is an elegant idea...but I agree it can look ghastly...you pulled it off though, yours looks enticing, and I'm sure it's delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for coming by lostpastremembered.


    Thank you so much Rose.
    I am quite pleased with it. Just think I may have OTT on the salad leaves though. Not sure if I would call it delicious, but it certainly was interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beetroot, ginger and chocolate risotto - now I will have to have a go at that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Choclette.

    I look forward to seeing it. Brave You!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmm, I'm also enticed by that idea, perhaps one night this week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clare,
    If you make it - do let me know what you thought of it, please.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great...

    I have a question...

    I tried making the roasted veg dinner and some rosted, sliced aubergine. My baking sheet is looking a bit warped and is dark, and the last two attempts resulted in black edges for the veggies, which alters the taste and leaves a mess.

    I would like a new sheet and to know what I can do to prevent it getting in the condition of my present one. Also, I did flip the veggies after a few minutes and dipped them in olive oil so that both sides had roughly the same amount...

    Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love beetroot risotto, I add a few drops of very old Traditional balsamic vinegar of Modena (when I have it...it is a luxury!).

    And I also add Parmesan cheese shavings, but next time I must try with goat cheese, thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I've never heard of beetroot risotto! I love risotto, but don't like beetroot... makes me wonder if I'd like this recipe hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beetroot risotto sounds great, im no good at making risotto unfortunately. I often order it when im out though.

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks delicious! I've never had beetsroot risotto, I will have to try it some time :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi there, Ms. mangocheeks!
    I don't know how you found my blog from across the big pond, but I am glad you did as you then lead me to your blog. I love it. I might not eat every thing that I have seen here, but have had a great time reading and learning.
    Jeanie Oliver
    www.jeanieoliver.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is beautiful! And I have a thing for beets:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks e.

    My recommendation is getting a non-stick baking sheet. I know they are a little more expensive, but in the long run I think they are worth it. I have a couple of circulon baking sheets.

    When I do roast potatoes, I tend to heat the vegetable or sunflower oil already in the tray then add the potatoes to the hot oil, turn them briefly in oil so all sides are covered with the oil and then bake. Turning them perhaps once halfway through or twice. The sprouts were already coated in olive oil before they went into the preheated oven, so are just given a bit of a shake during cooking. And the carrots and parsnips also got a little coating of olive oil before being baked in the oven.

    I hope this helps.


    I like the idea of Traditional balsamic vinegar Alessandra, so if I should ever make this again, i'll be sure to try it.

    I occasionally use a vegetarian Parmesan cheese, but I'm not really a fan of it, so thats why we went with the goats cheese. I hope you like the contrast.


    Julia,
    I'd say give it a go, but people who don't like beetroot, generally don't like beetroot risotto either, but your experience may be different.


    Rose,
    I don't think my risotto making skills would get a gold star from an Italian mama, but I do like to try, so would encourage you to keep trying to make your own.


    Thank you Happy Me. I do hope you enjoy it, should you get to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so, So much for coming by Jeanie.
    I am so delighted to read that you like my blog. I like yours too, the way you capture colour in your photographs is marvellous. Once again. Thank you!


    Thank you Janet. Beets - I am still learning to love them, but I do like them a lot more now than I did a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so tasty, one to try for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks very tasty! Funny you just posted this. I added a red beet & red wine & lime tofu risotto just yesterday. It was delicious. I'll be trying out yours as well. Been sort of sneaking about your blog for a while. It's really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. goats cheese and beetroot is always a winning combo in my book. Will it come as a surprise to hear I've not made this again since posting? It wouldn't feel right to use shop bought beets after my first experience with allotment grown ones. So roll on summer eh ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kella,
    I am sure your girls will find it interesting!


    Thanks Nicole.
    I'll be over to check out your risotto, the lime tofu intrigues me.


    Thanks Nic.
    Homegrown anything cannot be compared to shop bought ones, I agree, but for me now times are a little different
    : ( Hopefully not for too long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for stopping by. Lime tofu is my new favorite ingredient - I think I see many a lime tofu stir fry in my future.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nicole,
    I've never seen a lime tofu stir fry, now that is an idea I like.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am so excited to try this! I love beets, and risotto is the next grain I am planning on mastering. Can you believe I have never made it?!

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh Jackie.
    Thank you so much.
    I am so delighted to read that you may try this recipe. I have to admit that I have not yet mastered making risotto, but I do like how i make it, though an Italian mama may not approve. I'm sure yours will be good. Look forward to seeing it on your blog someday.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You