Sunday, 14 February 2010

Brown Rice-Mushroom Savoury Swirls

This is another adapted recipe from Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Suppers. Deborah states that the recipe was originally a nutloaf recipe, but she tampered with it to create burgers. I did of course make some burgers this morning for breakfast, but last night I also took the decision to use some of the filling for these savoury swirls.
I used to make these savoury swirls with Nadine Abensurs delicious Mushroom Wellington. Anyone who has Nadine Abensurs book with this recipe, will know that this recipe is a generous one, making two - not one nutroast. In the past I have made two nut roasts, and one actually went to waste as I never got round to defrosting and cooking with it. Then I came across a nifty little idea to make it last, make individual portions in the form of these Savoury Swirls.
I rolled out the dough, then generously pasted it with the filling, and then gently rolled it so that is looked like one of those sweet roly poly desserts. I cut them into individuals pieces and froze them with parchment paper between so that they didn’t stick. There you have a quick meal. Out of the freezer into the oven at Gas mark 6 for 20 – 30 minutes until golden and puffed. They really worked well.
So this is what I decided to do with this recipe, except of course I cheated a bit and used ready rolled puff pastry. These savoury swirls are part of our meal this evening. Hope the nephews like it. I know I will.
Brown Rice-Mushroom Savoury Swirls
Makes 12
1 tablespoon olive oil or sunflower oil
1 large onion, minced
1 teaspoon crumbled dried sage leaves
2 pinches of dried thyme
200g - 250g chestnut mushrooms, chopped
½ cup cashews, roughly chopped
½ cup walnuts, chopped
1 teaspoon tamari or soy sauce to taste
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 cup cooked brown rice
½ cup, cheddar cheese, grated
1 egg
½ cup breadcrumbs
Heat the oil in wide pan. Add the onion, crumble in the herbs and cook over high heat, stirring frequently until the onion is golden in places and starting to soften. Add the mushrooms and nuts and cook, stirring, until the mushrooms have released and then absorbed their juices, after several minutes, stir in the tamari and seasoning. Transfer the mixture to your food processor, add the rice, cheese, egg and bread crumbs and pulse so that the mixture resembles minced meat. To cook, coat a wide non-stick pan with oil. Scoop out ½ cup measures, then add it to the pan and press down with a spatula so that the patties are about ½ inch thick. Fry over medium heat until brown, then flip over and cook the other side until golden. Recipe adapted from Deborah Madisons Vegetarian Suppers.
PS forgive me with the American cups and gram measurements. I'm all over the place with them, especially when it comes to converting them to one or the other.


  1. oh yes, very nice. Big fan of ready made puff pastry!

  2. Great Idea, I will 'adapt' it too! :-)

  3. I love savory swirls! Its always my go-to recipe when im in a rush for dinner :)


  4. This is such an interesting dish, its like a savory hearty cinnamon roll. Minus the cinnamon if that makes sense at all :)

    Happy valentines day!

  5. This roll looks very appetizing!! MMMM,...Savoury rolls!!!!

    I just gave you an AWARD!!! Yeah!! Why?? You can read it @ my latest post!! Come over & pick it up, Please!! Congrats!!!

  6. what a good idea to store single swirls. I've lost count of the times I've tried something new and delicious only to grow tired of it after the third day of eating it!

  7. This is such a cool recipe, I look forward to trying it.

  8. Sounds delicious, and it's a really good idea to freeze in individual portions.

  9. Thanks Lou.

    Thanks Alessandra.

    Thanks Sooz.

    Rose. I agree its a super product, esp for quick meals.

    I agree with you Michal. Puff pastry is a versatile ingredient lending itself to both sweets and savoury.

    PS: For those of you who live in the U.K, Justrol have repackaged some of their products and relabelled it suitable for vegans too, which is great I think.


    Thank you so so much for thinking of me and nominating me for this Award. I am truly humbled and touched that you think my blog is worthy of this Award. Your thought is really appreciated.

    I also want to say Thank you for always coming by and leaving wonderful comments, and sharing your culinary creations.

    Also Congratulations on all your Awards, you must feel snowed under.

  10. Thanks Nic.
    I know what you mean. Its the waste of a delicious food that makes me mift, so I was pleased to stumble upon this idea.

    I hope you like Kella.

    Thank you so much Jo.

  11. Your savory swirls look amazing! I'm not a big fan of sweet, so these would be perfect. Thank you for sharing.

  12. These look lovely and a great idea to freeze individual portions. But what do they look like cooked?

  13. Thank you so much Fayinagirl.

    Thanks and a very good question too. As you know, I normally show the final dishes, but with the nephews up for a few days, I just served these without taking a photo. I have four more in the freezer, so will try and take a photo. However, if I don't get round to doing it. Cooked they look like puffed up cinnamon swirls, just a bit on the small size, as I had pressed the dough together a bit to snuggly.

  14. I have never made that mushroom wellington but I have looked at the recipe and it looks wonderful - I love your idea of how to freeze it - I sometimes freeze nut roast and then have to remember it - if I don't want it alone I often crumble it into a tomato sauce so it tastes a bit like veggie mince but better

  15. Johanna.
    Strongly recommend Nadine's Mushroom Wellington. Her recipe has inspired so many others since.

  16. I've never seen savory swirls before -- but the roll looks similar to kalacs (rolled dough filled with poppy seeds or walnuts) that my family makes.

    I can see the brown rice-mushroom filling being really versatile!

  17. Thanks for coming by Beatrice.
    I do think the filling is versatile.
    Kalacs sound interesting, are they sweet?


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You