Tuesday, 2 February 2010

My letterbox part 2

Well my virtual letterbox in this case. Yesterday when I got in from work, I checked out my mangocheeks inbox and there was an email from Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen. 'I'm delighted to inform you that your lovely soup was the winning entry for January. Congratulations! I wish a had a bowl of this right now!' Oh my goodness, oh my goodness. Thank you. I am honoured, delighted and humbled to be voted overall winner of January's 2010 No Croutons Required blog event.

Thank you so much to Lisa of Lisa's Kitchen and Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes and to each and everyone of you who voted for my Thai Butternut Squash soup with tofu croutons. It really is appreciated, and welcomed after a disheartening long week of downs and downs and downs, though reading recent entries on my blog you wouldn’t know it.
Anyway, lets look forward and to the next No Croutons Required challenge which has been labelled the Copycat challenge. This month Jacqueline would like you to look at restaurant menus, find a soup or salad that is suitable for vegetarians and then come up with your own recipe for it. This is going to be an interesting challenge for me as I don’t eat out that often, so maybe a ‘romantic’ meal out is due.


  1. Congratulations. I look forward to seeing how you adapt a dish from a restaurant menu.

  2. A well deserved win! That soup is amazing!

  3. Congratulations, Mangocheeks!!! You truly deserved to be the winner and I am so happy for you. Your soup is absolutely amazing!

  4. congratulations MC. Enjoy the happy, skippy, swirling around the kitchen!

  5. It's an outstanding soup and certainly deserved the award! Congratulations!

  6. Well done! That soup does sound delicious.
    Sounds like a fun research project!

  7. Congratulation Mangocheeks! And well derserved, your recipes are great. I've a butternut squash languishing in the press at home so I'll be trying this recipe out to use it up.

  8. What a lovely surprise for you, well done!

  9. Congratulations. I like the idea of these challenges. I may just have to give it a try. The local co-op grocery store makes a dish called "popcorn tofu". It is deepfried goodness. I have always wanted to replicate the recipe. I may just go for it.

  10. I also want to acknowledge Moosewood Restaurant from where this soup recipe originated. Thanks to them, my dish won.

    Thank you so much Jo. I am really delighted. The next challenge will be an interesting one.

    Thank you Sarah. It really is a delicious soup, even if I don't say so myself.

    Thank you Oraphan.

    Thank you Nic. It has certainly been a week of small surprises :D

    Thank you so, so Much Kate.

    Thanks Clare, Yes the next challenge 'should' be an interesting project.

    Thank you SharonL. It is so much appreciated.
    I do hope you enjoy the soup as much as I did.

    Thank you Ann. It was a pleasant surprise and one I can 'show off' too - check out the sidebar.

    Thank Krys.
    'popcorn tofu' now that is something some of my readers would be interested in seeing.

  11. Congrates on winning, I have all the ingriediants now so plan to make this soup this month.

  12. congratulations and well deserved - still want to make this soup but have lost the red thai curry paste I bought - but did make green thai curry soup instead and even sylvia had a taste and loved it - thanks for inspiration

  13. Thanks Kella. It really is a good soup.

    Thank you Johanna. How on earth did you lose the red Thai curry paste? Your green Thai curry soup sounds yum though. MMmmmmm.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You